“Excellent for accessability”
Review of Thurlestone Hotel

Thurlestone Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurlestone
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed for a few days in July. As a wheelchair user I find hotel facilities are often not suitable but this hotel has it absolutely right. The bathroom was even better than being at home. All parts of the building were wheelchair friendly and the food was lovely. I will definitely return.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
JulieBaugh, Manager at Thurlestone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Dear Sue F,
I am so glad you found it easy to manoeuvre around the hotel in your wheelchair. We do try and accommodate the special needs of our guests and, as you mention, we have been up-grading our bathrooms to include walk-in showers and other amenities to help you have a relaxing and pleasurable holiday.
Thank you for your review and we look forward to that return visit.

There are newer reviews for Thurlestone Hotel

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed recently for two nights for our Honeymoon having got married in Cornwall. I have driven past the hotel many times when travelling to Thurlestone Golf Club and have always wanted to stay at the hotel.

I was quite late booking our honeymoon and I phoned a number of top rated hotels in the South West explaining that I was looking to book a honeymoon break for 2 nights with my new wife. It is not often that you phone half a dozen hotels up in a row but on this occasion I did and it served as an interesting exercise in how new customers are first introduced to the hotel. I can quite confidently report that the reception staff I spoke to at the Thurlestone Hotel were BY FAR the most informative and interested in taking our booking. We booked a dinner bed and breakfast package and they also arranged a spa voucher for my wife to enjoy some treatments at the Voyage Spa. On arrival the reception staff again were very helpful and informative and made us feel like they were genuinely interested in our very recent marriage. Our room was beautifully appointed and had stunning views across the bay. The hotel left a very welcome surprise in our room which was very kind and unexpected. We visited the impressive spa daily and enjoyed treatments from the very professional staff. The food deserves a separate review altogether. The food was fantastic. I had a beautiful steak on the first evening and an equally lovely chicken dish on our second night. We ate quite late each evening, after having some early evening drinks in the bar. The relaxed atmosphere in the dining room and attentive, knowledgeable staff made the whole experience very memorable.

I know we were likely to be seeing things slightly rose tinted after our wedding but I cannot temper my positivity. I have been fortunate enough to stay in many lovely hotels in the UK but they have definitely found a winning recipe here at the Thurelstone Hotel. Great service from well trained staff in stunning surroundings. The hotel was quiet when we stayed and I would hope that when busier the standards are retained.

I can't wait to go back, perhaps for our 1yr anniversary? :-)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Casperexe
I am so pleased that you and your new wife enjoyed your 2-night honeymoon break with us and may I offer yet more congratulations and best wishes for your married life together. We will be thrilled if you choose to celebrate your anniversary with us, too! By the way, thank you for posting the three lovely photos with your review, too.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

A return visit to enjoy the half term break with my 8 year old niece who loves the events and activities arranged by the Danny the Dolphin Club team. I love it too because it gives me some time to enjoy treatments in the spa whilst she's off enjoying herself with newly made friends. The hotel remains excellent value for money, with top notch food & wine and exemplary service. We were blessed by a couple of sunny, if very windy, days so could stretch our legs along the beach and coastal path which made the dog very happy, too. I'm hard pressed to name another hotel of this quality that caters so well for children, adults and canine companions! I hope we'll be going back for many more years just like several of the guests we met this visit.

Room Tip: It has to be a room with a sea facing view and balcony!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear Sandra F,
We have made it a point over the years to make the hotel a welcoming and relaxing haven for all generations and I was particularly pleased that your young niece enjoyed the Half Term activities we laid on. Thank you for your lovely comments and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We have been regular visitors (as a couple, as a family and again as a couple) to this fantastic hotel for more than 31 years. We have witnessed and benefited from the continuos investments made by the owners over this time. This is an extraordinary hotel, run and managed and staffed by very special people, with the added bonus of being located in an area of outstanding natural beauty.
It gets better and better, but at the same time, it retains its initial charm and induces the customer to return time and time again.
It is both modern and traditional at the same time, this fine balance is achieved with consummate ease, making for a wonderfully relaxed new experience every visit.
Well done to you all past and present.

Room Tip: Discuss with reception on booking
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear David F,
How very nice to hear from a family who have been visiting us for such a long time. Thank you for your loyalty and I am so glad you continue to enjoy your visits. Thank you for sharing your views with the TripAdvisor audience and we are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I have stayed at The Thurlestone Hotel about twelve times since I discovered it in 2000. It is now a home-away-from home. I manage each time to find a friend or two or a family member accompany me; it is too fabulous a place not to share it with a companion. In June this year I went with three bridge playing friends. It rained a lot of the time, but small matter. The staff allowed us full use of the Snug off the bar, where we played to our heart's content. Interestingly, it is the Hotel's service, food, comfortable rooms with spectacular sea view and generally the whole atmosphere we speak of when we reminisce, not the weather at the time. Walkers can go on lovely treks - I've walked over to Salcombe (but someone met me there with a car to return. And the food! Don't get me started!

Room Tip: The Thurlestone Hotel does not rest on its laurels and over the years there have been times when som...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Janet C

Dear Janet C,
It is always gratifying to receive reviews from our regular guests and I am delighted that you and your friends and family continue to enjoy your visits. As you say, we don’t ‘rest on our laurels’ and hopefully our annual programme of refurbishment and improvements will continue to keep you coming back! We look forward to seeing you the next time.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed here for a night with our young baby. The room we had was great, with plenty of space for the travel cot. It was also nice and quiet so we all had a good sleep on the comfy bed.
The food in the restaurant was beautiful and the staff were very attentive.
The new spa is well worth a visit, very relaxing.
We would definately stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear SG2031
Thank you for your kind comments. We are always happy to welcome families, with children of all ages, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Despite an initial bad impression of borderline rudeness over the phone, once we arrived the hotel was lovely. We were upgraded to a room with a sea view and had an extremely comfortable night's sleep. The pool, sauna and steam room were on the small side which felt a little crowded if there were more than say two or three people in, but that is only a minor gripe. The dinner menu was rather too pricey for us, so instead we went to the pub right next door - 'The Village inn' which we later found out is owned by the same people who own the hotel so we didn't feel so cheeky! The food in the pub was still very tasty but much nearer our price range. Next morning, breakfast in the hotel was delicious and the staff couldn't do enough for us. So all in all yes the hotel is very pricey, but you definitely get what you pay for and most definitely a treat!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank J H

Dear J H
Thank you so much for giving us a good review and I am only sorry that we were let down by a disappointing first impression. This is certainly not up to our usual standards and I am grateful that you pointed it out. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your meal at the Village Inn. Dining there is always an alternative for hotel guests, offering a more informal atmosphere than the ‘fine dining’ option in our AA rosetted restaurant in the hotel.
I do hope that we will see you again.
Best wishes, Julie Baugh, Hotel Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurlestone
Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa
#1 of 4 in Hope Cove
The Sun Bay Hotel
The Sun Bay Hotel
#2 of 4 in Hope Cove

Been to Thurlestone Hotel? Share your experiences!