“fantastic stay”
Review of Thurlestone Hotel

Thurlestone Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurlestone
Reviewed June 7, 2008

Just had a short stay - fantastic food, excellent service. So nice to stay in a non-chain hotel. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Thurlestone Hotel

Reviewed March 13, 2008

I am basing this review on a one-night stay, of which only a few hours was spent in the hotel (apart from sleeping, of course) so I appreciate my experience is limited. Nonetheless, these were my impressions.
Due to a family bereavement, we had a one night stay at The Thurlestone Hotel. I doubt I could afford to stay here for a whole week in summer as it is expensive but I chose it for this trip because it has a swimming pool and was close to where we needed to go. The pool was important because we made a 600 mile round trip in 24 hours and I wanted my son and daughter to be able to have a swim after being cooped up in the car for so long.
The family room was spacious and all the usual goodies were provided...nice toiletries, robes (although they are a bit stingy with the tea/coffee etc). There is room service although outside of restaurant hours this is just sandwiches and cream teas. While the kids were in the pool, I ordered sandwiches.....I was seriously unimpressed with the quantity and quality for £6-£8 a throw! On returning from the pool, my 11 year old said, "Why is my sandwich the size of a baby's?" However, the report from the pool was better, with both the 11 and 17 yr old giving it the thumbs up and my son also liked the games room.
The staff were all very polite, friendly and helpful. Breakfast was plentiful and very good. Our visit wasn't for pleasure, unfortunately, but even though the hotel was almost full I found it extremely quiet and sedate which, under different circumstances, would not have suited me. It also made me question why the fairly ample car park was overflowing when we returned that night.
They do cater very well for children of all ages and apparently in summer this is a big draw. There is an outdoor pool as well, a salon/spa, restaurant, special early supper for kids (optional) and child minding. All rooms are non-smoking. Check in is at 3, check out at 11. Bookings can be made via their website but not for family rooms, so I had to call for my reservation. The person I dealt with was very helpful and negotiated a little, for which I was very grateful. Overall, it's a lovely hotel. Room service falls way short of value for money, even for a classy hotel, but that's my only gripe.
If you can afford it, and you like modern facilities combined with fairly old-fashioned standards, this hotel is for you. And the views are stunning.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank TY65
Reviewed February 21, 2008

My mother and I go away every year for a few days and this year we decided to re-vist one of our favourite hotels. We last visited The Thurlestone in 2001, since when the restaurant has been refurbished as has the outdoor pool. They had very recently finished refitting reception making for a clean contemporary look and everything appears to have been carried out to a very high standard. We stayed in a standard room with a sea view, which was well equipped and nicely appointed. No expense has been spared with the bed mattresses which are the Vi-spring variety, clearly not to everybody's taste, but we found them wonderfully comfortable: a lovely touch. The Premier rooms must be amazing! As on our previous visit, we found the food really exceptional and surely worthy of a second rosette. The waiting staff in the restaurant are friendly, extremely efficient and the service generally was flawless.
Often return visits are disappointing; happily this was not our experience. You really have to commend the management at this hotel for keeping and maintaining very high standards for its guests. The hotel is not cheap, nor would one expect it to be,however having read many reviews of other hotels, some of which I have stayed at, it is clear some 3* establishments which cannot possibly offer the same level of service, are taking liberties with pricing,especially in low season, and will be 'found out' by the ever price-sensitive public as this webiste amply demonstrates time and time again.

• Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed February 14, 2008

We were at the Thurlestone to celebrate my husbands 60th birthday with 2 other couples. I had booked with the hotel direct and found their website helpful. We upgraded our room because the first one we were given was small - so you may need to think about that when booking. All of the staff (except one - see later) went out of their way to ensure we had an excellent stay.

The food was outstanding and certainly as good as anything I've had at some of London's finest establishments.

You need to be aware that this hotel is 'off the beaten track' and driving around the area is not easy. But the beaches and countryside are magnificent and its worth the heart stopping narrow tracks and lanes to get there.

On check-out I was presented with a very complicated bill which I considered to be £2 too much. But a very polite query from me led to one Receptionist handling things in a very offhand and hectoring manner. It certainly wasn't worth arguing over such a piffling amount,(although I still think it was wrong) and I willingly paid up. My party and I had spent the best part of £1000 there for two nights, and the way they handled a silly £2 query left us all a little sadder.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 11, 2008

This was our second stay at this hotel, this time for three nights in between Xmas and the New Year.

For the price (around £800 for a family suite for three nights BB&D) I would have expected a quieter room which wasn't so hot. Every night throughout the night we heard what sounded like an electronic generator turning on and off. It could have been something to do with the swimming pool, which was close to our room. We complained about this and asked to be moved but were told there were no other suites available - only two family rooms which would have meant a room move each day of our stay. As we had paid for a suite (where our son was in an adjoining room) we declined this offer.

As the hotel is billed as child-friendly there were a few families with out of control children staying at the same time. The sound of kids running up and down corridors after midnight and very early in the morning can also be very disturbing! I know this isn't the fault of the hotel, but it is something to bear in mind if you're thinking of staying here.

In terms of cleanliness, we found a used cotton wool pad in the vanity container on the dressing table when we checked into the room. It was still there when we left three days later.

On the plus side, the food was delicious, with imaginative dishes on the menu each evening. A geater selection at breakfast time buffet would have been welcome though.

In all, not good value for money.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Karl80
Reviewed August 26, 2007

l have been visiting this superb hotel on and off for about 35 years (since l was about 12). In a world of mediocrity it excels in its' levels of service, courtesy and genuine efforts to please.

It is interesting now as a man of 48 to witness young families still thoroughly enjoying the pure magic of both this enchanting Devonshire village and this legendary British institution. The extensive family history attached to the hotel only further adds to the experience of being somewhere a bit special.

Having travelled the world, The Thurlestone Hotel & Village (especially in sunshine) matches the natural beauty of anywhere and as there is no through traffic, enjoys absolute peace and seclusion.

It is important to remember this is a Devonshire Hotel - it is not Palm Beach, Park Lane or the Bahamas. The decor and ambience reflect this and the hotel continues to modernise as necessary. In recent years significant additions have considerably enhanced the hotels many amentites.

On my most recent visit (with my 17 year old son) - who may well take his own children in due course & my wife, the food could only be desribed as stunning. Outstanding quality, superb execution and interesting variety everyday.

One is always left at the end of a stay, with a feeling of tremendous well-being.

There cannot be many hotels throughout the world with a similar history attached and in such a glorious location. Visit Thurlestone, be glad you did and discover a great friend for life !

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank bartCoDonegal
Reviewed August 18, 2007

We have just had a four day break at Thurlestone - our aim had been to find a high quality seaside hotel with excellent food, pool and good childrens facilities. Thurlestone looks excellent from its website but in reality is not as good as it should or could be. It does not seem to know what it wants to be or the clientelle it is aiming for.

You approach it from the back which is not a pretty site, the front is thankfully much better and gives an indication of how it has been enlarged over the years.

The decor is tired and very traditional - the hotel has been run by the same fa,ily for over a hundered years and they are clearly very proud of their heritage and achievements - from the detailed history book avialble in the room it is clear that they have faced difficlut times in the past and made bold and successful decisions - we felt it is time for some more of these ! Updated decor would be a great start - especially in the public rooms but the bedrooms would defintely benefit too - I beleive they have started on some but our suite had not been done yet.

Many guests are clearly returning year after year and they receive a noticeably warmer welcomes then new visitors like us did. We felt perhaps they were blind to the actual quality on offer ?

The outdoor pool is excellent though, the indoor one needs refreashing. The restaurant has fine views but again needs new decor. The food was absolutely excellent throughout and a credit to them which really made our break in light of the other disappointments. The restaurant staff could have been better - managers good but waiting staff a little abrubt and lacking in knowkedge of the dishes on offer.

The attached pub is very good and adds to the expereince - we did not eat their but great place for a quiet drink.

Children are accomodated with some entertainment and separate catering arrangements but dont expect an expereince like the Bedruthan Steps hotel here !

All in all an OK break but when the cost per night is considered in the cold light of day and against other hotels we felt it was grossly overpriced for the experience on offer.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank travellingtod
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurlestone
Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa
#1 of 4 in Hope Cove
The Sun Bay Hotel
The Sun Bay Hotel
#2 of 4 in Hope Cove

Been to Thurlestone Hotel? Share your experiences!