“Long Weekend in a lovely part of the world”
Review of Thurlestone Hotel

Thurlestone Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurlestone
Southampton
“Long Weekend in a lovely part of the world”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I came to Thurlstone to celebrate my in-laws 40th wedding anniversary. They had been 15 years earlier, and were returning for this next celebration.
First impression were that the location was fantastic. Perched just off the cliff top, you have a great view of the nearest bay (especially if you have a balcony room).

Staff & Service
Extremely friendly and helpful no matter what you ask for. Top notch, although you are paying for it, so it would be expected.

Rooms
We had a balcony room at the front of the building. This provided great views, and would be worth it in the summer. We had a particularly wet weekend, so we didn't use it, so in my opinion, that extra money for the upgrade wasn't worth it.
I felt the room was small for the money, but the bed was comfy, and the bathroom was modern, with an excellent shower.
Comfy bed.

Leisure
Played the hotel 9 hold-par three. Currently 2 of the greens are being rebuilts, but other that, its a challenging course. Partially because its in a poor state. Wet weather aside, which would account for some of the course state, other than being mowed, it doesn't look like this course has been touched since the last time my in-laws were here. Bunkers with little/no sand & plants growing out of them. Virtually no drainage apparent across the course, so it feels little more than a few holes mowed into the grass. This is very disappointing considering the price your pay for your stay.
I didn't use the spa personally, but I did here that it was a good spa.
Super coastal walks, although this is more to do with its location than something the hotel provided.

Food & Wine
Breakfast - Good selection of breakfast items, both self service buffet for meats, cereals etc.., and good selection of cooked options. I would say it wa roughly the same quality as a Marriot.
Lunch - we only had sandwiches for lunch, but they were made with fresh bread, and they didn't skimp on fillings.
Dinner - Dinner was part of our room price. 4 course (one was a sorbet for palate cleansing), and was of a good quality. Each portion was the perfect size, so you were full at the end of the meal, but not stuffed. Plates were well presented, which showed effort.
A good selection of wines.

Hotel Public Rooms
This is where I have some difficulty. Parts of this hotel are charming, and befit a hotel of the price. For example, the public lounge is quiet, well decorated & cosy. The area by reception has a lovely fire burning away.
But, there were areas of disappointment. For example, the brown sliding doors at the entrance are dated. The bar area, although a first glance looks like a first class bar has cheap flooring (looks like laminate), and cheap wood hand rails.
The dining room is looking dated now. Its more akin to an early 90s Marriot, with the same cheapish wood (yellow colour), and chairs that had been whitewashed to make them look older (or less yellow). The red/orange/yellow décor looks wrong considering the heritage of the hotel.

Overall

The staff make this place worthwhile. Very courteous at all times, and nothing is too much trouble, and it was them that tipped the experience from Average to Very Good.
However, I just had a sense that the price didn't match the hotel (even taking into account the dinner, BnB price we were on). Poor quality golf course & cheap finishings in places just left me feeling that this place is trying to punch above its weight, and trade on its location.
I didn't feel it was worth the price I paid for the weekend.

Room Tip: Get a balcony room for a great view. The Village Inn Pub next door lets you charge to your room...
2 Thank neiljgreen
JulieBaugh, Manager at Thurlestone Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear neiljgreen,
I am so pleased that you and your family enjoyed celebrating your parents-in-law’s 40th wedding anniversary at the Thurlestone and thank you for sharing your experiences with other prospective guests. It was good to see such nice comments about the staff; they see all our Trip Advisor reviews and will be delighted. However, I am conscious that not all your observations were favourable and I have taken on board your comments. I would like to apologise, in particular, about the state of the golf course at the moment. As you mention, the particularly wet and cold recent weather has not helped with our routine maintenance but we are hoping to be able to get back on track very soon with our plans for the course.
Once again, thank you for taking the time and trouble to write your review and I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back in the not too distant future.
Best wishes, Julie Baugh, Hotel Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My daughter and grandson took me & my husband to this beautiful hotel for a 'surprise' Mother's day lunch. It was a 40 minute drive from Plymouth but well worth it.
It's set on a hill overlooking the most amazing view of Thurlestone bay. It was breathtaking!
The food was delicious and beautifully presented and served by very warm and friendly staff.
All the ladies had an orchid spray waiting for them on the tables. What a wonderful gesture.
Thank you to all the staff for a most memorable Mother's day.
We will be looking at the tarrifs for a weekend stay this summer. (hope we can afford it!!)
Thanks again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
JulieBaugh, Manager at Thurlestone Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Kay 186298
I am delighted you enjoyed your special Mother’s Day lunch and thank you for writing about it. We look forward to welcoming you back for a relaxing weekend, enjoying our facilities to the full. As you probably know, we do have special offers from time to time, so keep an eye on our website or call us when you have a date in mind.
Thank you again for taking the time to write a review.
london
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Which a great day of sun shine to arrive the Thurlestone was as welcoming as usual. Very freindly and helpful staff always willing to help out. Have not stayed since the upgrade of the pool complex facilites. what a difference with a cry back to the grand days of sailing in the 1920's.
Food as usual was upto the expected high standards with impeccable service from all the staff.
A single nights stay is never enough so I will return as soon as can be arranged.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Brian S,
Thank you for your lovely comments. I am delighted you enjoyed our new Voyage Spa. I do hope you manage to stay a bit longer next time, so that you can really relax and unwind and take advantage of all our facilities.
Look forward to seeing you then.
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at Thurlstone hotel Friday 1st march to Monday 4th March 2014. My husband and I had a deluxe sea view room on the third floor with large picture windows and balcony - the sea view was spectular. The room had a large extremely comfortable bed, relaxing sitting area, mini-bar, tea and coffee making facilities and spacious modern bathroom with a walk-in shower, large bath, two wash hand basins and toilet with soft close lid!

During our stay we had an afternoon tea in the lounge naughty but nice! On Saturday lunch sandwiches in the lounge - excellent selection and service was fast. We used the golf course which, due to the earlier wet weather, had rather long grass but on the Monday of our stay the green keepers cut the grass and were working on the greens. The spa and leisure centre was brilliant; modern, clean and stylish. On the Sunday tea time we each had "the voyager spa ocean escape" treatment which was bliss, lasted about 1 ½ hrs. and the two beauty therapists gave excellent treatments.

By far and away the best experience was the dining room with fabulous views, comfortable seating and staff for whom nothing was too much trouble. The breakfasts were a delight with a help yourself to cereals, juice, fruit, cheese and cooked meats and then ordering for your main course where plenty of choice was available. The dinners gave us a sufficient choice of well-prepared local foods. The taste and presentation first class. Also ordering off menu wasn't a problem and delicious coffee was served afterwards in the lounge and/or bar.

I would recommend having a sea view room with balcony (described above) as this type of room is larger than a sea view room which have a "normal" size bathroom with shower over the bath. Our daughters had this type of room and it was satisfactory but not as special as the deluxe sea view room. There is an undercover car park (extra charge £5 per day) but worth it and plenty of outside free parking too. Getting there - the last two or more miles are on a single track road with passing places. From the hotel it is only a short walk to the beach and the hotel has so many facilities that you could just stay at the hotel during your holiday.

This was our first visit to the hotel but I'm sure we will return.

Room Tip: Choose a deluxe seaview room - well worth the extra money.
Dear weekends_away_12,
Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write such a comprehensive review and share your experiences with the Trip Advisor ‘audience’. I am so glad you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and, especially, that your beauty treatments left you feeling relaxed and pampered. With all the facilities of the new Voyage Spa, coupled with the outdoor facilities and proximity to the beach and coast path, a break at the Thurlestone can be as relaxed or as active as you want it to be – you don’t have to get in your car or waste any of that precious holiday time!
Looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Rarely do we use a hotel where the standard of service is invariably friendly and efficient. That coupled with comfortable rooms and superb food in a stunning location make this a hotel that we always want to return to.

Room Tip: All rooms are comfortable, some have balconies, make sure you have a sea view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Nielsmiles,
I am delighted you and your friends enjoyed your visit to the Thurlestone and thank you for your review. It is so nice to hear that you want to come and see us again and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Pomme land
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We got back from this hotel weekend before last. It was our groups third time there, and I would highly recommend it - regardless of the fire alarms waking us two nights in a row...rather that, than us all burn to death! Julie - the manager was extremely mindful of our interrupted sleep (most of group were farmers and looking forward to a rest) and truely apologetic. We were able to laugh it off the following day with our waitress Caroline - who is a wee Scottish lady with a big personality. She is a great character and a credit to the hotel. We very much enjoyed spending time in the village Inn watching the rugby - this is a great asset to the hotel, along with the staff who manage it. Will definately return again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Michelle Pommeland,
It was so kind of you to write such a nice review and I am so pleased you and your friends enjoyed the weekend. It was particularly gratifying to read your comments about the staff, especially Caroline, and I will pass them on. It is greatly appreciated and gives the staff a real buzz to be mentioned. Thanks again.
We look forward to seeing you on your return visit.
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

My husband and I have just return from spending a couple of nights at the Thurlestone Hotel. We can not recommend it highly enough. Our room was warm and comfortable and it looked out over the most stunning view. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The food was delicious for both breakfast and dinner. The spa is lovely and I had an amazing treatment with Rachel. We will definitely visit the hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Trishtroll
JulieBaugh, Manager at Thurlestone Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear Trishtroll
Thank you so much for your review and I am delighted that you and your husband had a good time with us. I will pass your comment on to Rachel, she will be so pleased.
We very much look forward to seeing you again soon.
Best wishes, Julie Baugh, Hotel Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurlestone
Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa
The Sun Bay Hotel
The Sun Bay Hotel
#2 of 4 in Hope Cove
Boringdon Hall Hotel and Spa

Been to Thurlestone Hotel? Share your experiences!