“My little piece of heaven”
Review of Thurlestone Hotel

Thurlestone Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurlestone
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We have been going to the Thurlestone for 11 years & have just returned from our annual visit, sadly only for 2 nights as it takes us a while to save up for this treat. I may be biased as I have been staying for a while now but this is without doubt my most favourite hotel ever. As soon as I step foot in the door the outside world disappears, all the stresses and strains of every day life dissipate and I become who I want to be, happy, carefree and truly pampered.

There is constant improvement going on at the hotel. The latest of which is the new voyage spa, well done Thurlestone, just fabulous. The decor is beautiful and the facilities are great. I also had a massage which was excellent.

The staff are amazing as ever, nothing is too much trouble and they treat you like old friends but with a dash of good old fashioned customer care & traditional hospitality. You won't find any spotty teenagers here dissatisfied with their job and a couldn't care less attitude. These people are professionals, from housekeeping to management.

We were also treated to a free room upgrade which made our day, however all the beds are really comfortable and the views amazing so it really doesn't make that much difference now all the rooms have been refurbished.

The food is great as good as any high class restaurant and the quality of the produce is fantastic.

My advice to anyone thinking of staying here, don't think just book, you won't regret it, and if you do quite honestly there must be something wrong with you.

So yet again I come away from Thurlestone with a little lump in my throat, until next year and believe me it can't come quick enough.

• Stayed: November 2012
JulieBaugh, Manager at Thurlestone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

Dear finedinerWiltshire
Thank you for your review and I am so pleased you continue to enjoy your holidays at the Thurlestone. What we always strive for is to make your time with us truly relaxing and to send you back home feeling revitalised and refreshed! Thank you, too, for all the nice things you say, particularly about the staff, it gives them a great boost.
Looking forward to seeing you again next year.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We recently spent a week at our favourite hotel and were delighted with the improvements since our visit last year. The hotel has always had one of the best welcomes of any hotel we have ever stayed in ( and we have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world , including Raffles in Singapore, The Waldorf Astoria in New York and Georges V in Paris) and as soon as we arrive at the hotel we immediately feel relaxed and of course the views are absolutely stunning. Over the years improvements have been ongoing and now the hotel has some really lovely deluxe rooms with exceptionally comfortable beds. However the latest addition, the
wonderful spa really is the icing on the cake! The atmosphere is delightful and the staff could not be more determined to ensure that you get the most from the spa experience.
The food was delicious, as always, and so very tempting. Unfortunately the weather was rather inclement which meant that we were not able to go walking as much as we would have liked and had to succomb to the pleasures of afternoon tea on more than one occasion!
When we arrived I really was in need of rest and recuperation and that was exactly what I got.
Next year we hope to return with our granddaughters as there is so much for them to do and the local sandy beaches are just right for little people with buckets and spades. Thank you so much to Julie, John and all the staff for ensuring that standards do not slip. One indication of just how popular the hotel is can be seen by the fact that many people return year after year, first when they have young children, then as couples once the children have grown and then with their grandchildren. We can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: The newest rooms are larger and the most comfortable
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Janet B
Thank you so much for such a nice review. I am glad you enjoyed some well-deserved R&R and we look forward to welcoming you back, together with your granddaughters, next year.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Often when I travel I am staying in a big city in a beautiful hotel like a Mandarin Oriental, Banyan Tree or a Four Seasons so I am used to being spoilt. When you stay at the Thurlestone you amazingly have the same level of amenities and comfort but you are in a tiny , gorgeous beautiful village on the Coast of Devon.

Thurlestone is very special, the staff who work there are superb, the food equals any in the finest city restaurants and the area is one of the most beautiful in the world. I stayed in the hotel for nearly two weeks, I just couldn't bring myself to leave. When I was there it was late autumn so he outdoor pool was closed, but I can only imagine how amazing that is during the summer months.

I am posting some pictures as well because the area has to be seen to be believed.

Room Tip: If you can get a room with a Balcony it's a beautiful spot for a quiet read, but if not don'...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Andrew B

Dear Andrew B,
It was so kind of you to take the time and trouble to write a review and thank you, too, for the lovely photographs. Next time you come and stay, hopefully it will be warm enough for you to swim in the outdoor pool!

Reviewed November 2, 2012

I took my 7 year old niece and a 10 year old grumpy yorkshire terrier to the Thurlestone Hotel for a 4 night break. We had a great time. The hotel had laid on a series of half term activities for children, courtesy of their "Danny the Dolphin club," and she loved every minute of it. Gave me a chance to relax with a good book and a nice cup of tea/cocktail (depending on the timing of the event!) Seriously helpful staff, delicious food, great location and a bit of late autumn sunshine made for an enjoyable stay for all. Will definitely be returning at some point.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Sandra F,
I’m glad you and your family had a good half term break. We do try and make your holiday as relaxing as possible for all age groups and I am delighted your niece enjoyed her Dolphin Club activities.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

My first ime on trip advisor, but just had to comment on the fabulous Thurelstone Hotel. From the minute we arrived the staff were courteous, friendly and helpful. Our room was gorgeous, with everything that you could wish for and the bed was super comfortable. The food at dinner and breakfast was simply perfect and the service by Zsolt was impeccable. All this and the perfect weather made our stay extremely enjoyable, but the icing on the cake has to be the new spa - Wow! fantastic facilities, beautiful decor and amazing hydro pool! Thank you Thurlestone and well done for taking the hotel up yet anoter notch in the luxury stakes!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Teresa G,
Thank you for making the Thurlestone Hotel your first review on Trip Advisor and for your very kind comments. It was kind of you to make such nice remarks about the staff, especially Zsolt, it is such a terrific boost for morale.
I am so glad you like the new Voyage Spa and hope it encourages you to come and see us again soon.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Being previous guests at the Thurlestone Hotel we knew we were going to have good service and great food, but two things made this visit extra special. Firstly, the weather, beautiful warm autumn sunshine, what a treat to sit on the balcony and soak in the glorious view.

Secondly the new Voyage Spa, totally refurbished, beautifully designed indoor leisure facilities. Soft lighting makes the pool and Hydrotherapy Pool look very inviting, to complete the experience there is a new sauna and steam room and for total relaxation the Laconium all with beautiful décor and lighting.

Can’t wait to return!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Speckle Cornwall
So glad you enjoyed our new Voyage Spa. As for the weather, yes, it was great to have some lovely autumnal days – long may they continue!
Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I went for a 2 night stay there with my wife to attend a wedding in the village church.

we had a sea facing room & the view was great & unlike some 'sea view' rooms in other hotels you could actually see the sea & for that matter the thurle stone clearly

very spacious room with good service (nothing seemed too much trouble)

went to the spa &c - was well worth an hour before breakfast as a way to get over the night before. pool was not croweded, few others there but too many. thermal room my wife & i had to ourselves

breakfast - really nice, a bit of a throwback to a previous age, but not saying that negatively. Only thing is if there's more than 2 of you you will not get a window seat in the resturant

did wander around the grounds, really nice (but it was sunny) - just a shame they wasted some of the grounds with a golf course....

overall, would like to come back for 3 or 4 nights - although this time prob would eat in the evening (as at a wedding went to a family / close friends do at the pub 1st night & 2nd night at another hotel where the wedding was can't comment on this) as little other choice

Room Tip: go on pay that bit more & get a sea view; did see in a village view - for that read car park vie...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SheddyTeddy

Dear Sheddy Teddy,
Delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Thurlestone. Yes, do try and come for dinner, too, next time. You will be receiving our regular newsletters offering special deals throughout the year. I am glad you enjoyed our new Voyage Spa, as well.
Hope to see you again, maybe next year.
Best wishes, Julie Baugh, Hotel Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurlestone
Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa
Dart Marina Hotel and Spa
Glazebrook House Hotel
Glazebrook House Hotel
#1 of 2 in South Brent

Been to Thurlestone Hotel? Share your experiences!