Tripadvisor
Sourton
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews nooks and crannies the pub amazing pub pies well worth a visit opening times local cider bite to eat stage coach driving past every nook and cranny four poster magical place her husband little gem car park evening meal
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Went past this pub looking for a very late lunch stop and it looked shut and ended up at the next pub on the road, the which was also shut for food as it was after 14:30.

After researching, yes ok, Google time, we noted it is open and only for limited periods so on our way back from Port Isaac to Bristol we decided to call in.

To set the record straight on Donna H's review, there is a car park directly outside the pub and another car park past it on the same side. This latter car park has ample walking space to walk safely to the pub, it is just not a raised pavement.

Once inside there are two bar areas and seating and a third accessed from one, this is done out to replicate a galleon, well worth a look. The bar area accessed immediately on the left is quite small with a couple of cosy seating areas, the bigger area is straight through and to the right.

I'll refrain from commenting further on the inside as it is something you have to see for yourselves.

Again to counter Donna H's review, the person behind the bar was very friendly and welcoming, she politely dealt with the many visitors who turned up throughout our stay with no hassle.

We ate, I had the beef stew and dumplings, my partner had the fish fingers, large and both meals were top notch pub food and perhaps surprisingly good when you consider the inside décor.

The only downside, the gents is outside and a bit smelly, the ladies is inside, one at a time though, but I can't comment on their facilities!

The acid test, would I visit again, without question.

Date of stay: January 2020
SallyT664, Owner at The Highwayman Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Glad you had a generally positive experience at the inn. Hope to see you again. We are refurbishing the gents in the next couple of months and it is going to be fab! Your opinion would be welcomed then too!

Reviewed January 5, 2020

I feel genuinely sad writing this, as this place is clearly a labour of love. However, our visit really wasn't particularly positive. It happened to be my partner's birthday as well as our anniversary, although the barman had no way of knowing that. We were excited to visit after reading about, and seeing the pictures of The Highwayman online. We love places that are out of the ordinary and had made a special journey to reach it.

First of all, after parking in the car park we had to make a terrifying dash with our dog along the main road in the dark to reach the entrance. This was dangerous to say the least as there was no pavement and cars were speeding past. The pub may well have a side entrance but this was not in any way indicated in the car park. I can only imagine trying to navigate my way back after a few jars, and in fact insisted my partner drive round to pick us up on leaving even though we had only had one drink each.

So, after entering the wonderful stagecoach entrance (this is truly fabulous), I was seemingly faced with a door ahead (featuring a sign about a guard dog) and a closed door to the left. Entering the door to the left I discovered a small bar area. There were no staff to be seen at this point, so we stood there in anticipation. Shortly after, a man in a hat wandered past and administered an unsmiling 'hi' in our direction (no, "I'll be with you in a minute" or, "sorry for the wait"). The impression we got was that our presence was decidedly unexpected and unwelcome.
After a few minutes, said person decided to serve us. I should point out that we are a polite and friendly couple and smiled and tried to engage the barman. Upon ordering my drink, I chose from a sign on the bar as to what was available (house gin with grapefruit mixer). The man behind the bar appeared flummoxed as to what I was asking. I had to explain that this was advertised on the bar sign, at which point he picked up the sign and muttered "what's she written?". To give him his credit, he did eventually establish what this meant and managed to serve the correct drink. Upon being asked what beer was served, the response was a curt "IPA or Hobgoblin". No elaboration on the IPA and still no smile.

So, thus served we went off to find a table. This was to be a krypton factor-esque kind of experience. Both of the main tables in the small bar being occupied we wandered accidentally in to what must be the dining room. Now, this space is seriously impressive, and felt like being inside of a galleon, albeit with a highly 70s flavour. It was completely empty and we would have loved to have sat in there but all the tables had reserved signs on them and we werent sure we were allowed so we wandered back into the small bar area.
We perched in a corner sipping our drinks relatively happily until I needed the loo and went off to find it. At this point, I discovered a whole new bar/seating area that we had no idea existed and we moved camp to this more spacious part of the pub. It would have been hugely helpful had the barman told us, seeing the lack of availability of seats in the small bar, that this part of the pub existed, especially as we had a very large dog with us.

So, we went and sat in a cave like area in which were the world's narrowest and most threadbare seats. After finally managing to nip to the loo I returned to the table to be told by my partner that he 'heard all of that's. Turning round to look behind us, the downpipe of the ladies loo was merrily gurgling away visibly behind a wheel feature in the wall of the cave. Charming and romantic, on our anniversary.

To summarise, had the barman taken just a minute of his time to smile, tell us there was another area with more room or generally done anything to make us feel welcome, we would have viewed this place much more kindly. Furthermore, signs indicating the existence of a safer side entrance (if there is one) seriously need to be considered. The dated 70s-tastic galleon pastiche has charm and the pub is undoubtedly clean. It's the kind of place I would totally fall in love with, were the atmosphere warm and welcoming. Without this, this wonderful and unique pub just feels like a hollow tourist has-been.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

A well written report but I do feel a certain amount of poetic licence has been use by the writer. My husband, ‘the man in the hat‘ and I have taken these comments seriously and we will give them due consideration.

Reviewed December 30, 2019 via mobile

My wife and I were advised to drop in here on our journey to Dartmoor and we're so glad we did. I cannot comment on the food as we only stopped for a swift pint but even that is worth doing. The less photos you see ahead of time the better to keep the element of surprise!

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
SallyT664, Owner at The Highwayman Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2020

Thanks for your nice comments. Glad you appreciated the inn. Hope to see you in 2020.

Reviewed November 7, 2019

This Inn is extra ordinary, it is well worth a visit to experience the surroundings, the food is very nice bar meals, we were kept waiting a bit, but we didn't mind. If you are on route to Cornwall via the A30 and looking for a bite to eat, I would recommend a visit. The Inn is also dog friendly so you don't have to leave your four legged friend in the car.

Date of stay: December 2018
Reviewed November 6, 2019

Have been coming to The highwayman inn for nearly Three years now, Absolutely wonderful place. Sally & Bruce are the most accommodating hosts, Food is on another level, Bruce most certainly produces the most Incredible home made meals. Service is fantastic & welcoming. I never visit Devon without coming here for a meal & a drink.

Can not recommend enough. Will also be booking a room in the inn for our next holiday.

Date of stay: November 2019