“fun place to explore dartmoor from”
Review of The Highwayman Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sourton
The Highwayman Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Sourton B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 24, 2012

the girlfriend and I stayed here for a couple of nights back in october 2011. The inn itself is worth a visit just to nose around and sample the local scrumpy they sell. Lots of knick knacks hanging around and if you go to the website and view some of the pictures then you get a sense of what to expect although it doesnt do it full justice The dining room was my favourite and the pies that Bruce served were great and decent value too. We stayed in one of the four poster en suite rooms which was clean and a decent size. Both Sally and Bruce were really nice and chatty Sally makes a great 'dangerous coffee'. Next time we head off for some letterboxing we will be sure to revisit

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Sally T, Owner at The Highwayman Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Thank you for your kind words concerning our inn. Just wanted to show our appreciation for all your positive feed back as it means a lot to Bruce and I. I also hope to see you again.

There are newer reviews for The Highwayman Inn

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Our friends found this place the day before, theycould not wait to take us there today. It really is fascinating. From the moment you walk through the doors of the "coach" you realise you are entering a fantasy world that could capture you for hours. My Pedigree beer was very good and the wife enjoyed her fizzy cider.We did not eat here but do intend booking to stay for a night soooon..Thank you barmaid/owner/tour guide.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Vince C

Reviewed August 26, 2012

despite being very interested in the Inn, the place was layered in filth and stank of urine throughout. I am not one to leave a review of places (this is my first) but had heard such wonderul things about this Inn, I felt compelled to leave a review. I went in with my husband to look around and order a drink. I ended up pausing before I sat as everything was covered in dust, spiderwebs and grime. My glass was filthy - opaque with dirt at the top, I could not even sip from it. All of this is very unlike me - I most certainly am not a "clean-freak!". Went to the toilet to find dried faeces on the wall. Obviously had not been cleaned in weeks if not months.
My husband and I left the Inn in disgust, and actually went straight home to have a bath!
Worth buying a drink to look around, but dont drink it. Cant believe they serve food!! do NOT eat anything! and also, try not to use the loo. make sure you have a quick gettaway planned for when your gorge begins to rise. never experienced anything like it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank leelouballoo
Sally T, Owner at The Highwayman Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

This review is quite damaging and as you can see by the other reviews it is very incongruous. I think it is unfair to leave it on this site. We got 5/5 for our food hygiene rating and have never ever had any cleanliness issues at our inn. We have had it as a family since 1958 and work in the business oursleves!! I think this could well be a malicious report.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

this place is unreal- its just utterly amazing from the minute you walk up to the front door to the minute you leave and go past the little mice in their home outside. Please this is a must go visit, I cant wait to go back and stay in one of the four poster bedrooms on my next visit. It is a unique place let alone pub. Thank you so much. I will down load photos soon.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank andfi

Reviewed July 8, 2012

I have just come back from a magical stay at the Highwayman Inn. I cannot fault the hospitality, the food or the value for money. I stayed overnight with my partner and 2 other couples and we all had an evening to remember. The place itself needs to be seen to be believed - it is truly amazing. Bruce's cooking is top notch and he really went the extra mile to make sure we had the most enjoyable experience possible. His breakfast was perfect before our journey home and when we left, we all promised him we'd be back. We loved the Highwayman Inn and would definitely reccommend an overnight stay if you really want to make the most of what this place has to offer

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Phillippa H

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We drove past here on the way to Okehampton and couldn't resist having a look inside on our way back. The exterior of the pub is amazing with a stagecoach entrance and one side of the building is the exact replica of an old ship! Also the wishing tree is a great touch.

Sally & Bruce are great hosts and added the mystery of the place, we didn't eat anything but the drinks were good and reasonably priced. The men especially liked the local cider!
I would definitely come back here when in the Devon area again and next time hopefully stay overnight.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank sharrison161

Reviewed June 15, 2012

The highwayman inn is a fascinating sanctuary for the more adventurous, Bruce & Sally the proprietors run the inn with a wealth of experience and charm that befits this unique establishment, we have stayed many times here and never faulted it, good beer, fantastic food, blowout breakfast, and wild conversation, have stayed here all seasons, have met some interesting people , and made some good friends,cant wait to visit again, (dont pass it by and miss a unique experience)

Room Tip: Have stayed in every room, all excellent, our favorite is the Victorian Room.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roger B

Sallyx

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sourton
Travelodge Okehampton Sourton Cross
#2 of 2 in Chagford
The White Hart Hotel
The White Hart Hotel
#1 of 2 in Moretonhampstead

Been to The Highwayman Inn? Share your experiences!