“awfull food dirty rooms”
Review of The Ness

The Ness
Ranked #1 of 6 Shaldon B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 28, 2010

stayed 5 years ago old building tatty but with fantastic views but clean good food and good service.what a dissapointment this time rooms filthy,food awful,service bad and not cheap £135 per night.what a shame a fantastic location could be so much better with good management will not be back

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank detthorley

Reviewed August 12, 2010

I just wanted to thank the hotel and all the wonderful staff for making our stay so enjoyable! The room was excellent, the food better than many top hotels I've stayed in London. The staff made it, friendly helpful and nothing was too much trouble. We would recommend this hotel to everyone who want great service, lovely location, and a... more

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2010

We spent a long weekend with friends here and had a lovely time. It is casual without being inefficient, has an unbeatable location and the service is very friendly.It was busy mid-July and with a good choice of well cooked food (the hand cut chips and fresh fish are to die for)! I think I would not choose to visit during peak school holidays as the menu choices are reduced. The rooms in the main hotel have stunning views whereas the ones in the annexe are well equipped but are beginning to look a little jaded although still have sea views.
However we enjoyed our stay a lot.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2010

Breakfast service slow and bland cooked food especially the disgusting sausages. Had dinner and service got screwed up with a very lame excuse that they were too busy (if you include gossiping at the bar for ages) then I suppose so. Rooms well dirty grubby not cleaned properly and the web site pictures could be construed as a trading standards issue. It was nothing like the images shown. Expensive for the standards offered and for goodness sake put bulbs in the lights. I certainly would not recommend and I'd avoid the sawdust sausages and the fish n chips with the worst peas in history. Obviously the chef does not taste his own food or came from mcdonalds !

Reviewed July 15, 2010

I have visited this hotel restaurant on a number of occassions, it has a unique position and for a drink only it is fine. If you wish to eat respectable food try somewhere else. I have not enjoyed a cold and downright awful homity pie and my partner was served minced lamb in a pyrex cooking bowl, my friends had cold fish and chips with almost luminous green tasteless peas. I think the Chef should be made to sample his own food before serving it up and as far as presentation is concerned I can do better at home.
Another time I waited an hour for food and finally decided to eat at one of the local pubs. A great pity in my opinion, if they could sort the food out then the locals may keep this business alive during the winter months but as it is now, poor and expensive food and poor service, it's only unsuspecting holidaymakers who will go there and sit outside for the view.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 1, 2010

What a disappointment! We were very excited at the prospect of staying here, but found it virtually impossible to find the website. On finally finding an email address, my enquiry for availability wasn't answered for days. On eventually receiving a short response regarding prices (with no information about the type of room available at that price) I replied asking for the details of a midweek special they were offering on their website. More than a week later we've still received no reponse so booked elswhere. Even after siting that our visit was a special occasion and we had a particular family connection with Shaldon, that didn't even inspire a more attentive level of service. Hate to think how long it would take to get served at dinner, if they can't reply to their customers emails in a timely fashion.

Reviewed April 20, 2010

When i was little, my family holidays were almost always to Shaldon and Teignmouth. from a young age i remember the delights of a meal at the Ness, but never had i actually stayed until last year. Having always liked to pop down for a meal here and there as a special treat, my parents bought me a one night stay as a special occasion last July. Whilst my room wasnt in the main hotel, but rather in a lodge type building, it was more than adequate for just me although a little dark and scary in the evening, and without any views of anything but the car park! Dinner in the evening was delightful as per usual, I loved the nautical themes and the little ditties painted on parts of the walls. All the staff were lovely and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shaldon
Potters Mooring Hotel
#9 of 85 in Torquay
Caledon Bed & Breakfast
Caledon Bed & Breakfast
#3 of 6 in Shaldon

Been to The Ness? Share your experiences!