“Fantastic restaurant”

ODE dining
Ranked #4 of 17 Restaurants in Shaldon
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Multi award winning restaurant and currently Sustainable Restaurant of the Year 2012. ODE dining serves quality regional produce and open for dinners Wednesday to Saturday.
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We visited Ode in September while on holiday in Shaldon. Part of the reason for choosing to stay in the village was the choice of restaurants and Ode certainly didn't disappoint. The meal was as good as any we've had in a Michelin starred restaurant. The staff were friendly and it has a lovely relaxed atmosphere, possibly because it's not a very large place. My husband's potted mackerel starter was worth the visit alone, the duck main course was perfectly cooked and wonderful, and the salted caramel fondant was one of the best desserts I've had in quite a while. The price was very reasonable, with a three course meal for two, including wine, coming in at around £100. I would certainly recommend Ode and hope to visit again myself!

1  Thank Hannahg_2001

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We were recommended to try this restaurant and were not disappointed. Fine dining at its best, without 'stuffiness' and without pretension. Good food, well cooked and beautifully presented. Cannot fault it and will return when we are next in the area.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

this small intimate restaurant has got even better, the exemplary principals behind the restaurant remain but the food is even better. Intelligent complex flavours and texture contrasts, just perfect.

1  Thank jsbEdinburgh
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I have dined at Ode restaurant several times since moving to Shaldon. Everything about it is spot on for me. Ode has a strong focus on sustainability and is very up to date. The service is professional yet unfussy. The dining room is intimate (and romantic if you're in the mood). This time we dined on a Friday and it was fully or almost fully booked. There are two types of complementary bread with butter and tapenade. My amuse bouche was mackerel pate. It tasted so fresh for pate, and the sweet tomato relish and bitter leaves perfectly complemented the oily fish. I had the vegetarian option from the menu. That was an unusual chilled aubergine soup with a spoonful of aubergine caviar and crisp on the side. I loved the texture and deep flavour of the soup. My main was an indian style roti. This feature spiced cauliflower and came with a rich cauliflower puree on the plate. The tomato and yoghurt sauces were perfect with it. My husband had the duck two ways for his main. One of these was cured and he was happy to try something new at Ode where you can always rely on the quality. It came with a red wine jus, runner beans and polenta, and he really enjoyed it. We couldn't manage a dessert but know from past experience how good these are at Ode.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

A special Wednesday evening with friends at Ode Restaurant. Have pursuaded our friends to visit Ode for the first time, and came on the special Wednesday night menu. Fabulous menu choice despite it being small, and we all enjoyed three courses ! The highlight for me ? - A salted caramel fondant. Extras of homemade bread, make it a good value experience when trying the exquisite food offered by Tim Bouget ,for the first time. We have been on many occasions, and were glad to know that our friends are looking forward to coming back and experiencing the full menu choice that is offered Thursday to Saturday ! If you are lucky enough to get a reservation, try it !