“Lovely affordable food”

The Smugglers Rest ~ Mortehoe Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 10 Restaurants in Mortehoe
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Good service. Great choice and the meals are very tasty. Very affordable as well. Also liked the fact that one is not hassled to hurry in any way.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

A very popular restaurant, there is no booking so first come first served basis. Good selection of Sea Food

1  Thank all-shir
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Came here a few days ago for dinner. The staff were very welcoming and told us about their two mains for £15 deal which we took advantage of. My partner had vegetable sausages and mash with onion gravy and peas and I had the lobster and crab burger. Both our meals were delicious and perfect portion sizes. My burger came with chips but I would have appreciated a little bit of salad or something as well. The burger wasn't as hot as my chips so I ended up eating it all first which was a shame as it was so delicious. My partners meal was piping hot all the way through and the onion gravy was perfect!
Although the parrot saying "Hello!" And wolf whistling at me was rather charming, I am a little concerned that it doesn't get cleaned out and flown often enough.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

Several previous reviews have mentioned the delightful pub parrot.
Unfortunately, he Is housed in a cage which appears not to have been cleaned for months. It is encrusted with old food, feathers and poop; the dowel perch is covered with faeces and the water bowl looks like a stagnant pond.
Landlords: please clean up this beautiful bird's environment and give him some fresh food, not a parrot mix chiefly comprised of peanuts and sunflower seeds. If you are going to keep an animal it is incumbent on you to look after it properly.

4  Thank Fiona c
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We received a very friendly welcome at the Smugglers Rest, it's nice to go somewhere where they actually like people.

The food is a bit slow and is basic, which makes it poor value for money, so I wouldn't recommend eating here but to while a way a few hours with good beer and company it was perfect.

If we had just popped in for a drink I would have rated it higher.