“cant complain”

Dining options: Reservations
olveston, bristol
“cant complain”
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Went as a family of 5 plus dog (despite other reviews its not the only dog friendly pub in morthoe). Good selection of food on the menu plus specials. Young staff were friendly but our bill was wrong with extra charge for cheese on a margarita pizza. Landlady a bit grumpy.

Visited April 2014

Winkleigh, Devon, United Kingdom
“Beer Manners?”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

As a family we visited the Ship Aground on Boxing day, the food was as expected, however when I went to get a pint of ale the barman pulled out a half poured pint from under the bar and topped it up. I politely requested a freshly poured pint, but was told he was too busy. As I was the only person at the bar at the time, I found this slightly bizarre. I have worked in the drinks trade for a long time, and have drunk a fair bit of ale and this has never happened before, or since, shocking.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Bruce E
Knysna
“Nice pub”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Real pub atmosphere with a surprisingly good selection of dishes, which are well cooked and service is good. Very busy at peak holiday times so reserve a table or visit away from the usual busy times

Visited August 2013
Newark
“Oh dear ”
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Having booked some days off to visit mortehoe , we decided to visit this pub , as a previous glance in showed to be dog friendly and friendly people . A lovely traditional interior awaits you inside. The choice of beer was average with 2 real ales and the usual lagers / ciders etc . We had a drink only on our first visit , and we were the only people in there along with another couple . So we tried again and made a second visit as the dining out options are very limited in the area in November . My wife ordered pasta with chicken/ bacon in a mushroom sauce with garlic bread for. £8.90 . I had Piri Piri chicken with salad for £8.90 . Also 2 starters of crab fish cakes and chilli sauce .
The crab cakes arrived . Well presented , not homemade , but average taste with a small salad . Then the mains arrived . My Piri Piri chicken was I would say shop bought small pieces ( a la Iceland style) , about 7 of these on a big plateful of salad. . All cold, no spice , no heat. My wife's pasta was about a side plate portion of cheap pasta with small pieces if chicken and bacon in what looked like mushroom packet sauce .
Both meals I would say cost about £1 to make and sold for £8.90 .
Even , as I'm aware it's off season . This was truly a poor poor value meal , and as I was starving , and as there is no chip shop / Chinese takeaway or McDonald's or anything near here .... I had to eat it.
We both left after parting with nearly £35 including 2 drinks. , very short changed and mislead .
I think the general standard of food quality and content in these tourist pubs needs some watching , as obviously if the chef had my Piri Piri sauce , he really would need to adjust his clothing and his food prep technique . Poor , very poor . Not good value . Use as last resort .

1 Thank NewarkMark
Watford, United Kingdom
“A very pleasant experience”
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Very accommodating with food order from 5 noisy ladies and one young man. Also he tell ghost stories that arm't true LOL. Thanks Robin

• Visited November 2013