“Chichester Arms”

Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Mortehoe
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Our family of 6 were staying at the local camp site this past August and ate dinner a couple of times. Each time the place was packed but we got some drinks crisps and peanuts and waited until a table was available. None of us were disappointed with what we choose the food was prepared beautifully and felt home cooked, real comfort food. The only negative was the wait after we finally got our table it took about 45 minutes to be served. But as I said it was the height of summer and the weather and Morthoe was beautiful. My husband and I were visiting family in England and loved eating good pub food!

There are newer reviews for Chichester Arms

Reviewed October 31, 2013

A perfectly nice lunch of sandwiches/rolls and a decent pint of bitter in typical (if dated) pub surroundings; the food was freshly prepared and the staff were friendly and attentive. The menu was varied with several 'specials' available. We did not want a full meal and were satisfied with what we got, sandwiches came with a salad garnish and small portion of chips. The prices for drinks, seemed rather high, but not out of line with similar establishments in a tourist area. I would rate it as three and a half if that was possible, it was bit above average but not 'very good'.

Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

Called in here to shelter from the elements while walking around Mortehoe. It is a reasonable sized pub that serves food and drinks, note that the kitchen isn't open all day. Nice atmosphere and pint!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We visited on a friday evening. The pub looks slightly grubby, the table didn't look like it had been cleaned before we sat down even though the bar staff where stood around doing nothing.

I had a Chinese style bean stew, it was a tin of cannelini beans in a tomato sauce with a small serving of white rice and a small piece of very soggy garlic bread (£8.95!!!). The other meal was a Venison burger served in a rustic roll (according to the menu). In reality it was a tasteless burger in a dry white bun with no relish. Really feel sorry for the animal that had to die so they could produce this horrible offering.

Sauces were served in those pathetic little sachets, I'm sorry but if you are charging around £10 for a meal at least put proper sauce bottles out.

I can only think they get away with serving poor quality food as there is a never ending supply of gullible, hungry tourists.

Alex L, Owner at Chichester Arms, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

First of all, I'm really sorry you didn't enjoy your meal - I'm sure you were asked at least once, probably twice (when the plates were collected and on payment, if not while you were actually eating) whether the food was ok, so it's a shame you didn't let someone know then so we could do something about it. I think it's fair to point out that there's an awful lot of very good reviews on Trip Advisor that confirm we're doing most things right, so if you're reading this one I'd invite you to compare and contrast it with them. Or are they all "gullible" as well?!
We've sold many hundreds of those venison burgers over the summer, and they always come with salad and homemade coleslaw, so most people add the bits they want to it if they don't want it plain. Sometimes people ask us to put cheese on it, which we'll happily do, but I don't think they really need it because the venison meat stays naturally succulent. And I don't love the sachets either, but we use them because if we didn't the amount of food waste would be appalling.
As for looking grubby, we're closing shortly for the usual round of winter renovation. By October the pub's been busy all day every day for the best part of a year, and even when everything's thoroughly cleaned daily that does take a toll after a while, especially on things like paintwork, table tops and furnishings. All these will receive attention over the next few weeks before the Christmas rush. Hopefully you'll come back and visit again sometime, and have a happier experience - and if something's wrong, please say!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We ate here to celebrate my partners birthday along with four friends who were visiting for the weekend. The atmosphere of this pub is warm and friendly, the staff are welcoming and efficient. There is a menu and also a small specials board - always a good sign as you know everything is homemade - no microwave meals here! All our meals were delicious - three of our friends had steaks which were all cooked perfectly, and the other three of us had the shoulder of lamb which was fabulous. The vegetables that came with the lamb were also beautifully cooked. Thanks for a great evening.