We spent a long time looking for the perfect location for my 40th birthday celebration and I am happy to say we found the best. The location had to meet some stringent criteria:
Large enough to take 5 families (the family groups were 2+1, 2+1, 2+4, 2+2,2+2)
Suit children between 7months and 7 years
Be close to the beach
Be very reasonably priced
Have a games room and a large garden.
From the website we thought the grange appeared to be big enough but we greatly underestimated its size. Our first thought on arriving was "we will never learn our way around this place!". It is huge and extremely well laid out to suit multiple families. It is evident that this house was once multiple let's or living spaces. Upstairs it is made up of grouped bedrooms with living space of their own. These are as follows:
1) 2 bedrooms: 1double 1 bunks and a shared living dining kitchen room and a bathroom
2) 4 bedrooms: 3doubles 1 twin a shared bathroom and a kitchen diner
3) A studio double bedroom with a kitchenette diner and a bathroom
4) 2bedrooms:a twin bedroom with a curtain and 6 steps down to a double bedroom with a shared bathroom. This doesn't havea kitchen
Downstairs 5) double and a twin with shared bathroom and kitchen
In addition downstairs there is a huge family kitchen 2 huge sitting rooms and an enormous dining room. The games room is accessed from outside the house. The kitchen is filled with all the cooking and eating implements you could ever need and the bonus is 2 dishwashers. There is also a lot of extra space with halls and utility rooms etc. the garden is also extremely big and divided into multiple spaces. Our kids never ran out of hide and seek enjoyment both in and out of the house. The house is extremely comfortable and it met all of our needs. The proximity to the beaches, which are all golden sands just added to the enjoyment. We are planning to return next year and I am encouraging everyone I know to go. Our only word of caution is do make sure you are ready to leave at 10 am as the cleaners will be there and if you order a supermarket delivery you will need to go down the drive to the van as it will not be able to get up to you. All I can say is I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grange Mortehoe luxury accomodation North Devon. The Grange is a large luxury, Victorian house located in Mortehoe, North Devon nestling in two acres surrounded by beautiful Devon countryside designated an area of outstanding natural beauty, and backed by National Trust land. Spectacular sea views to the front of the house from an elevated position. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda so you can book your The Grange reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Grange Mortehoe, Devon