See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed in the beach house again at The Victoria House B&B. Heather and Dave looked after us so well. Heather even gave me some cough syrup for my cough. Lounging on the daybed sipping crisp white wine and reading my book was absolute bliss. The freshly baked bread every morning is amazing and the breakfasts meant we didn't eat again until the evening. They have added some lovely new outdoor furniture to the deck and put 2 of the comfy chairs in the beach house with some sumptuous cushions too. Thanks Heather and Dave. See you next year.

1  Thank EmjayHuggs
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My husband and I chose Victoria House as we wanted something a bit more special for our 20th wedding anniversary celebration. We were not disappointed. Heather and David went out of their way to accommodate us from the outset. We stayed in the Beach House and I am so glad we did. It was such perfect accommodation for our romantic break. We had the most amazing views over the hills and out to sea and when the sun came out on our second day, we used the decking (private use for the beach house) and lounged on the day bed all day until 9pm when we watched the sun go down. Heather cannot do enough for you and kept trying to feed us up! We came away feeling like we had made new friends and will definitely be going back. Fantastic home baked cookies, awesome freshly baked bread (I dont eat bread but couldn't get enough of it!) and the fluffy bathrobes were such a thoughtful touch. 11/10 all round and will definitely be going back!

Room tip: Definitely go for the beach house if you have the choice
1  Thank stukay123
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I am not prone to writing reviews but we were so bowled over by our recent stay at the Beach House that I felt it was worth taking the effort to change the habit of a lifetime!

What a beautifully relaxing location and the perfect spot for that romantic weekend away without the kids! We are always sceptical when people promote their accommodation as "luxurious with stunning sea views" as we have had some interesting experiences but The Beach House is exactly that. So much care and attention to detail has gone into furnishing it and creating just the right atmosphere. It is also incredibly clean. The views are stunning and to be able to lie in bed and watch the sea and listen to the waves crashing on the rocks is worth every penny. You have your own private decking so you can sit outside and enjoy a glass of champers in complete privacy whilst watching the sun set or you can even enjoy an early morning cuppa and watch the sun rise. The breakfasts are sumptuous, healthy and generous. It is a good job there are plenty of hills nearby so you can work off any over-indulgence. Yes, it is cosy inside but that just adds to its charm. Why would you want a massive room when you one of the reasons you chose The Beach House is for the fantastic views and location which are best enjoyed outside.

Heather is a warm and generous hostess and nothing is too much trouble. We felt very at ease - thank you so much Heather. Thanks also to David for his lovely brekkies.

Having said all the above, we do have one "criticism" and that is that one cookie each was not enough! they were yummy.

The previous comment about military style rules is complete rubbish. I think people forget that they are staying in someone's home and they need to be respectful of that.

If you haven't been to Victoria House/The Beach House then put it on your list of places to visit. Mortehoe is lovely and quiet and if you like walking/cycling then it's a good place to enjoy those past times. Alternatively just sit and enjoy the views and chill.

We will definitely go back.

1  Thank Witchii
Reviewed July 27, 2012

This was our second visit to the Beach House, and I wish that it could have been longer. The view of the sea, the comfortable beds (outside and in) and easy access to charming Mortehoe would be reason in themselves to stay here. Add in the thoughtful touches such as homemade biscuits and a fridge in the room, and of course the delicious breakfasts, and you have a unique and delightful place to stay. Heather and David are friendly and helpful hosts, who are eager to get things right for their guests

Date of stay: July 2012
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We had a delightful long weekend at the superbly located Victoria House in mid-July, staying in the "Super-King with Shower" room - fantastic view! Loved the fabulous bathrobes.

The bed was perhaps a little on the firm side for my particular taste (of course, that might well be a plus point for some people), but it wasn't anything a mattress topper couldn't sort out. We slept well nonetheless - it's a very peaceful setting.

The breakfasts were excellent - good selection of juices, fresh fruit, cereals and yoghurts, delicious bread, the best scrambled egg I've had anywhere we've stayed, and very generous portions. My wife is lactose intolerant and Heather had gone out of her way to provide lacto-free milk, which was much appreciated.

You would need to be physically active to get the best out of a stay here (although, unlike other reviewers, I didn't think that the roads were actually all that steep considering it's North Devon!). If you get a fine day (which we did, fortunately enough when considering how rubbish the summer has been so far this year!), walking on the coast path is absolutely glorious.

One tip to anyone planning to stay: if you have a choice of vehicle, take the smaller one!

Date of stay: July 2012