See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 27, 2012

This was our second visit to the Beach House, and I wish that it could have been longer. The view of the sea, the comfortable beds (outside and in) and easy access to charming Mortehoe would be reason in themselves to stay here. Add in the thoughtful touches such as homemade biscuits and a fridge in the room, and of course the delicious breakfasts, and you have a unique and delightful place to stay. Heather and David are friendly and helpful hosts, who are eager to get things right for their guests

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We had a delightful long weekend at the superbly located Victoria House in mid-July, staying in the "Super-King with Shower" room - fantastic view! Loved the fabulous bathrobes.

The bed was perhaps a little on the firm side for my particular taste (of course, that might well be a plus point for some people), but it wasn't anything a mattress topper couldn't sort out. We slept well nonetheless - it's a very peaceful setting.

The breakfasts were excellent - good selection of juices, fresh fruit, cereals and yoghurts, delicious bread, the best scrambled egg I've had anywhere we've stayed, and very generous portions. My wife is lactose intolerant and Heather had gone out of her way to provide lacto-free milk, which was much appreciated.

You would need to be physically active to get the best out of a stay here (although, unlike other reviewers, I didn't think that the roads were actually all that steep considering it's North Devon!). If you get a fine day (which we did, fortunately enough when considering how rubbish the summer has been so far this year!), walking on the coast path is absolutely glorious.

One tip to anyone planning to stay: if you have a choice of vehicle, take the smaller one!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed in the "Beach House" section of Victoria House, which is a small, modern, self-contained building built alongside the main "Victorian" house, and on top of the garage roof. The garage roof is covered in a large decking area and this is exclusively for the use of people in the Beach House.

Inside is cosy (ie fairly small) but has everythng you may need (large comfy bed, a couple of chairs, wardrobe, toilet / shower, fridge, large TV etc) and some nice "sea-themed" decoration. It is also detached from the house so very private !

The breakfasts (in the main house) are wondeful with an excellent choice with quality food (huge plate of fresh fruit even though we were the only guests).

The view from the Beach House is directly opposite Morte Point, a lovely area of unspoilt land that juts out into the sea (in fact a public footpath starts right in front of Victoria house). This is a lovely undulating walking area, with sheep grazing and seals swimming in the water.

The sun sets over Morte Point so you can watch it from the decking, or even from your bed if you wish.

We paid £120 a night for the Beach House and while it is lovely I do consider it overpriced (particularly if you dont use the decking due to the weather), though it is unique - and popular - so I guess they can charge what they like.

Parking is at a premium in the area, and if all three rooms in Victoria House were taken during the summer (we were the only guests) I dread to think where everyone would park and how much "car rotation" would be involved.

The owners of Victoria House do seem a little fastidious with a number of "rules" (military style) printed in the booklet in the room. While I know all B&Bs and hotels need some "rules", it can become a bit too much when so many "rules" are listed.

The location of Victoria House may have some effect on whether you decide to stay there (perhaps if a member of the party is disabled or elderly).

It is situated on the coast road beween Woolacombe and Mortehoe. It is about a mile (steep downhill) into Woolacombe and less than half a mile (steep uphill) into Mortehoe. The road between Mortehoe and Woolacombe is very narrow in places, so it can be difficult for cars to pass (and slightly dangerous to walk on as there is no pavement).

Mortehoe a nice small village with 3 pubs (all do food), a few shops, a nice church, and a take away fish and chip shop. Woolacombe is a very small seaside town with a huge lovely beach (good for surfers), and quite a few shops, but to be honest there is little else to do there.

For me the best thing about the area was the land owned by the National Trust (all along the coast between Mortehoe and Woolacombe), which has prevented the building of houses and hotels and apartments. Some of the land along the coast is crammed with buildings so it is nice to have places like Morte Point and Woolacombe Down still available to walk on.

Best "secret" thing we found was Barricane Beach, just along from the main beach in Woolcombe (going towards Mortehoe). This lovely little beach has large rocks either side so is a long thin beach, but it has a small cafe that does lovely food in the evening (from 6pm but I am not sure if it is every night). Lovely to sit outside on the veranda of the cafe and eat your evening meal watching the sun go down.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Guilbert53
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We just spent two nights at Victoria House and I have to say it was the best B&B I've ever stayed at. Great accommodation, fantastic food and lovely people. I highly recommend it to anyone. Enjoy!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I had a wonderful stay at Victoria House, Heather and David were attentive hosts and I was made to feel very welcome. The rooms are fantastic, with amazing views across to the sea and beyond. I felt very relaxed throughout my stay and could have actually just sat at the window of my room to watch the world go by.

The breakfast was excellent, with a brilliant selection. It was particularly nice that Heather did not set a time but I was free to say when I wanted to have breakfast between 8am and 11:30 am ( you would not it too late though as there is a great footpath just opposite!).

I would definitely recommend Victoria House to everyone, I wish I had a house like it!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo