See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We stayed in the Beach house for August bank holiday last year. I meant to write a review then. Anyway, it was absolutley wonderful. Thank you so much Heather and Dave. You really couldn't improve on anything. So sorry that we've missed out on the same weekend this year, but we'll be back in August sometime. It was heaven snuggled on the day bed on the decking drinking chilled white wine and watching the sunset over the bay. WOW!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
r0xx, Owner at Victoria House, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2012

I'm so pleased that we have managed to rearrange things so that you can come back for August Bank Holiday, we are so looking forward to seeing you.
We have met some wonderful people in the 9 years we have been doing B&B and welcoming people back is like having family come to visit!
See you soon.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

We have just spent a brilliant weekend staying in the lovely beach house annexe of Victoria House. Everything was perfect - the hosts were really welcoming and friendly, ready to do anything for us but without being at all intrusive. The accommodation is very comfortable - lovely and warm despite low night-time temperatures outside! The view from the room is exceptional - a panorama of the bay and the island of Lundy, with a beautiful sunset enjoyed fron the comfort and privacy of the outside deck, which really does make the whole experience something pretty special! The breakfast is to die for and it is so nice being able to take your time in the morning and have a late breakfast if you want to. The surrounding area is full of lovely walks and the pub in Mortehoe village (Chichester Arms) is close by and well worth a visit. Impossible to see how anyone could fault this B and B - thank God we were not put off by a single bad review since our experience was totally positive - we are going to recommend it all our friends and will definitely be back! Robin and Marie-Christine - Bristol.

Room Tip: The beach house is really special!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
r0xx, Owner at Victoria House, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2012

Thank you Robin and Marie-Christine, it was lovely to meet you both. We look forward to welcoming you back when it's nice and warm and you can sit on the day bed and enjoy a glass or two!!

Reviewed January 26, 2012

My partner Ben and I stayed recently at this fantastic bed and breakfast. We also came for Valentine's day last year and had a wonderful time. We stayed in the boathouse which is secluded and private with stunning views across the sea. Heather and David were extremely kind and accommodating, no request was too small and the breakfasts were great - amazing pancakes kept coming - and Heather had even arranged my special diet requests. The room was cosy with special (Clarins!!) extras in the bathroom and the location is next to the best beaches in North Devon. We highly recommend this place - we're so happy we found it.

Room Tip: They're all good and have great views.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We booked this b&b as it seemed so unique and beautiful from the pictures. And we were impressed with the amount of positive feedback on this website. We were definitely not disappointed. Waking up in egyptian cotton sheets in our own little beach house. The sounds of the wind and sea outside but we were warm and cosy inside. And our own terrace with incredible views. It was bliss to be sitting in bed with a cuppa looking at the view. I loved the fact that we had our own little bit of privacy in the beach house, but Heather showed me a bedroom in the main house and that was so beautiful too. I'll be torn next time! The wonderful breakfast was better than anything i've ever had.....home baked bread, extensive choice and nothing was too much trouble for Heather and David.
All in all this is not your average b&b. It is so much better....

Room Tip: Beach house is something a bit different and certainly worth a look...beautiful antique bedstead and en-suite shower room. Main rooms in the house are beautifully presented and have gorgeous bathrooms.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Our stay at the Beach House was brief and unpleasant. The website promises a relaxed and friendly atmosphere, with breakfast served until 11am. The Beach House is priced at £115 per night, even in the off-season. We had paid a one-night deposit prior to arrival and were booked for a two night stay. As seasoned travellers, we had reasonable expectations of a both a smart clean room and a friendly greeting. Both were entirely lacking. Our stay ended a day early, without breakfast.

We arrived late on Friday night, having travelled down after work from London. Following several friendly emails with the owner, we were told that the Beach House would be unlocked so we could let ourselves in at any time that evening and to park in front of the garage upon arrival. She also requested that we complete a breakfast request form so she could organise our breakfast for us on Saturday morning.

On arrival, we parked in the designated space and, as it was very late, went straight to bed. The following morning, we awoke to a knock on the door by the owner who had come to request my car keys to move my car. She was rude and unprofessional and did not even wish us good morning or introduce herself. When my girlfriend politely went to the main house to ask for a hairdryer (which should really be provided in a room at that price), she received a rude response and was then rebuked for not presenting a breakfast form the night before (despite our arriving after 11pm). My girlfriend apologised for not giving them a breakfast form, explaining the reasons why. Reasonably, she then asked if some sort of breakfast was still available. The owner told her that breakfast was no longer being served, despite it being prior to the stated 11am "relaxed" deadline, as they had "put everything away". After trying to reason with the owner and enquire again if breakfast was available, the owner then shouted that if my girlfriend was going to behave like that we could "pack up your bags and leave".

My girlfriend was understandably very upset by what can only be described as extremely rude and aggressive behaviour. I then went to the main house to speak to the owners, to request the return of my car keys, which they had kept after moving my car, and a refund in recognition of their behaviour and the lack of breakfast. Their initial angry response was that no refund would be forthcoming and that I would not have my car keys returned to me until they had "checked the room". I remained polite despite being spoken to in a rude and offensive manner, the like of which I have never experienced before. I persisted and was given £40 in recognition of not having been provided with breakfast.

Their level of aggression and rudeness was frankly unprofessional and uncalled for. I appreciate that we did not leave a breakfast slip, but that does not give someone the right to speak to a paying customer in that way. It was a very upsetting experience - and particularly to pay £115 for the privilege.

The Beach House itself, notwithstanding the rude and aggressive behaviour of its owners, is extremely disappointing. "Beach House" is a misleading name. It is more a Beach Shed. The view is undoubtedly charming and in the summer, the terrace will be lovely, but this cannot compensate for the failings of the room.

The room had been poorly cleaned and was noticeably dusty. The numerous blinds across the front windows were visibly covered in a layer of dust. The room was freezing cold when we arrived and the heater, once turned on, struggled to keep the poorly insulated Beach House warm. There was no heating in the bathroom. The furniture was old, rickety and uncomfortable, with worn carpets and uncomfortable old director's chairs being the chosen furnishings. The promised DVD player was discovered unplugged in a drawer in the corner of the room. No hair dryer and no dressing gowns were provided. £115 per night is an extraordinary amount to charge for something so basic.

We very much regretted choosing to stay at the Beach House. We are frankly astonished to see the positive reviews that this place has received. This was by far and away our worst B&B experience - and the Beach House currently has no close competitor for this title.

Since our nightmare stay, we have emailed the owner twice asking for a full refund and explanation for their rudeness but have not received a response. This further demonstrates their total lack of professionalism.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Sueoil
r0xx, Owner at Victoria House, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2012

Please refer to our website for guidelines on our arrival policy, this has been unaltered for a few years.
In 9 years of trading as a B&B, this is the first time I have asked someone to leave, so you can begin to imagine that there is much more to this 'story' than is being reported here. Had the 'girlfriend' been as reasonable as stated, why on earth would I tell her to pack her bags and leave?
I don't intend to reply to their allegations, I don't think it appropriate to write a 10 paragraph response telling our side of the sorry tale. Our professionalism and integrity should show through in the responses from other guests before and since this post.
This man has told us he would write this review and put it on every website we feature on in an attempt to cause a negative impact on our business (in his words) unless we gave him a full refund.
I am afraid I didn't cave in to more of their demanding nature, hence this review.