See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Our stay at the Beach House was brief and unpleasant. The website promises a relaxed and friendly atmosphere, with breakfast served until 11am. The Beach House is priced at £115 per night, even in the off-season. We had paid a one-night deposit prior to arrival and were booked for a two night stay. As seasoned travellers, we had reasonable expectations of a both a smart clean room and a friendly greeting. Both were entirely lacking. Our stay ended a day early, without breakfast.

We arrived late on Friday night, having travelled down after work from London. Following several friendly emails with the owner, we were told that the Beach House would be unlocked so we could let ourselves in at any time that evening and to park in front of the garage upon arrival. She also requested that we complete a breakfast request form so she could organise our breakfast for us on Saturday morning.

On arrival, we parked in the designated space and, as it was very late, went straight to bed. The following morning, we awoke to a knock on the door by the owner who had come to request my car keys to move my car. She was rude and unprofessional and did not even wish us good morning or introduce herself. When my girlfriend politely went to the main house to ask for a hairdryer (which should really be provided in a room at that price), she received a rude response and was then rebuked for not presenting a breakfast form the night before (despite our arriving after 11pm). My girlfriend apologised for not giving them a breakfast form, explaining the reasons why. Reasonably, she then asked if some sort of breakfast was still available. The owner told her that breakfast was no longer being served, despite it being prior to the stated 11am "relaxed" deadline, as they had "put everything away". After trying to reason with the owner and enquire again if breakfast was available, the owner then shouted that if my girlfriend was going to behave like that we could "pack up your bags and leave".

My girlfriend was understandably very upset by what can only be described as extremely rude and aggressive behaviour. I then went to the main house to speak to the owners, to request the return of my car keys, which they had kept after moving my car, and a refund in recognition of their behaviour and the lack of breakfast. Their initial angry response was that no refund would be forthcoming and that I would not have my car keys returned to me until they had "checked the room". I remained polite despite being spoken to in a rude and offensive manner, the like of which I have never experienced before. I persisted and was given £40 in recognition of not having been provided with breakfast.

Their level of aggression and rudeness was frankly unprofessional and uncalled for. I appreciate that we did not leave a breakfast slip, but that does not give someone the right to speak to a paying customer in that way. It was a very upsetting experience - and particularly to pay £115 for the privilege.

The Beach House itself, notwithstanding the rude and aggressive behaviour of its owners, is extremely disappointing. "Beach House" is a misleading name. It is more a Beach Shed. The view is undoubtedly charming and in the summer, the terrace will be lovely, but this cannot compensate for the failings of the room.

The room had been poorly cleaned and was noticeably dusty. The numerous blinds across the front windows were visibly covered in a layer of dust. The room was freezing cold when we arrived and the heater, once turned on, struggled to keep the poorly insulated Beach House warm. There was no heating in the bathroom. The furniture was old, rickety and uncomfortable, with worn carpets and uncomfortable old director's chairs being the chosen furnishings. The promised DVD player was discovered unplugged in a drawer in the corner of the room. No hair dryer and no dressing gowns were provided. £115 per night is an extraordinary amount to charge for something so basic.

We very much regretted choosing to stay at the Beach House. We are frankly astonished to see the positive reviews that this place has received. This was by far and away our worst B&B experience - and the Beach House currently has no close competitor for this title.

Since our nightmare stay, we have emailed the owner twice asking for a full refund and explanation for their rudeness but have not received a response. This further demonstrates their total lack of professionalism.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Sueoil
r0xx, Owner at Victoria House, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2012

Please refer to our website for guidelines on our arrival policy, this has been unaltered for a few years.
In 9 years of trading as a B&B, this is the first time I have asked someone to leave, so you can begin to imagine that there is much more to this 'story' than is being reported here. Had the 'girlfriend' been as reasonable as stated, why on earth would I tell her to pack her bags and leave?
I don't intend to reply to their allegations, I don't think it appropriate to write a 10 paragraph response telling our side of the sorry tale. Our professionalism and integrity should show through in the responses from other guests before and since this post.
This man has told us he would write this review and put it on every website we feature on in an attempt to cause a negative impact on our business (in his words) unless we gave him a full refund.
I am afraid I didn't cave in to more of their demanding nature, hence this review.

Reviewed October 21, 2011

Yet another wonderful stay with Heather and David in the main house. Every detail thought of and such luxurious comfort. Waking up to see the sea and overlooking Morte point I could never tire of. When the sun is shining there is nowhere in the world I'd rather be! Breakfast as ever should be Michelin starred, fresh fruit, Greek yoghurt and yummy granola followed by such a well cooked breakfast and freshly baked bread.. cannot be beaten! My room and bathroom so beautiful, view of the sea from the tub! Tea & coffee tray out of the ordinary- clipper teas, cafetiere and fresh coffee.. then there's the freshly baked cookies! The fridge is also a great addition to the room! Can't wait for my next visit, miss my walks with Roxy!

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We stayed the Beach House which has magnificent view. The village at the top of the hill is lovely and you have walks right in front of the house. You do have a lot to choose for breakfast and the owners are helpful and friendly, if not a little much patronising in my opinion.
Although it is a very lovely place I still feel it is over-priced. Vinyl flooring is getting old and furnitures are a bit 'crammed' in this little space that is the beach house (or shed).
Also if you're looking for privacy I'd probably go elsewhere. The kitchen overlooks the terrasse and there is a 'matrony' feeling about the way things work (for example, you will be assigned a table for breakfast and you won't e able to choose).
Although I reckon there is a need for rules to make sure everything works, I'd rather go in a B&B where you don't feel you're living with the owners and have to do everything 'their way'.
Maybe more room for flexibility would be great?

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Albanie29
r0xx, Owner at Victoria House, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2012

I'm sorry that you felt patronised, that certainly wasn't my intention. We try to make everyone feel at ease from the moment they arrive so that they feel comfortable in what is obviously a family home that has rooms to let. It appears that my welcome has been interpreted as patronising. I'm afraid I will probably continue trying to be as helpful and welcoming as I can and hopefully guests will continue to appreciate our good intentions.
We have stunning views here at Victoria House but, at breakfast, one of the tables obviously benefits the most from those views. For this reason, we try to be as fair as possible to all our guests and rotate people around the tables. It would be a little inconsiderate to insist on having the best table every day. We have to consider all our guests.
Yes, when I stand at my kitchen sink I can see the deck. I thank the designers of dishwashers every day that I don't have to be near my sink often. You could have angled the day bed at any time.
For anybody reading this far down this reply - I hope our website shows that we are a very small B&B and that it is our family home. We are fortunate to live in this beautiful location and enjoy sharing it with our guests. if you are looking for less interaction or personal service, you would probably be better in a hotel.

Reviewed October 11, 2011

We booked an overnight stay on a the spur of the moment and were so happy with our choice as soon as we arrived. The Beach House is absolutely lovely, glorious views and made to feel most welcome. Breakfast was excellent and we were spoilt for choice.
We will definitely go back

Room Tip: The Beach House has the best view and is incredibly private.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed here for our honeymoon in 2010 and again for our first wedding anniversary. Everything is still as amazing as before, from the breakfasts to the homemade cookies Heather and David do not fail to disappoint! Can't wait to stay again

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple