“'Landlord is halarious, what a super place'”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #38 of 68 Restaurants in Kingsbridge
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British, Pub
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I have spent lots of time in Salcombe and have never once thought about visiting Malborough. I noticed couple of the 'Devon' friends had liked this Pubs Facebook page and my news feed popped up with and interesting bit about the pub, which intrigued us.
We arrived LATE into the area due to traffic and decided to stop here on the off chance of food, as it literally is on the way through to Salcome. Even though we were VERY late, just gone 21:00 on as off Season Thursday the place was full of happy people, the Landlord was more than happy to rustle something up himself as the Chef had already departed. Wasn't anything fancy but most definitely sufficed. we had a drink and ended up staying a lot longer than intended. we were there three days and treated the place as our local, we tried the food with the actual chef and it was terrific.
We have now booked a place in the B&B upstairs and are now very much looking forward to our weekend away Easter.

6  Thank Gemma C

Reviewed February 4, 2014

After recomondations from a few people that the place was a great laugh I heard one of the bands we follow were playing here. We decided to drive down for the night, we soon discovered it was a great venue with great valued and delicious food. The locals are warm and friendly and the landlord very personable. Deffinatley revisiting SOON

4  Thank Nicheone
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

We always pop into The Royal Oak when we're in Devon. The beer is great and the service is warm and friendly.
The food is delicious and terrific value.

3  Thank Foodsnobdan
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Love this pub, keep going back has everything a pub should have the food is always brilliant and delivered to a very high standard with an interesting menu that changes daily.

6  Thank poshblondebird
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Dined on a Tuesday night after her indoors' found the place during a web search, menu looked good and the food also came with some heavyweight recommendation, most notably Nathan Outlaw. We were not disappointed, although the footy was on, and the place was near empty, it didn't spoil what turned out to be one of the best meals we've eaten in a while. I started with a wonderful artichoke soup which was so full of earthy flavour it warmed my soul, to follow I went for the pork belly, WOW, I often find pork belly is so often badly cooked, this was not the case here, the texture throughout was spot on, crispy on the outside, sweet and juicy through the core, I can still taste it now. Accompanied by some nicely done winter veg, it was the perfect antidote to cold Autumn evening. I'd go again tomorrow it was that good, all in all, confident, modern cooking with wonderful fresh ingredients. Nice work.

3  Thank NewRdgourmet