“Tasteless, bland and NOT authentic Indian food.”
Review of Salaam Namaste - CLOSED

Salaam Namaste
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I was excited that my favourite Indian dish was on the menu: Dal Makhni. However, instead of a rich, creamy, spiced dal using the classic urad black lentils, what arrived was a thin, pink, watery soup. I was shocked. I am Indian and I know what Dal Makhni is supposed to look and taste like! So I asked the manager and he told me, "This is how we do Dal Makhni for the British people." I'm not British but I know the Brits know and love Indian spices and curries! The manager's rationale for serving up a totally tasteless (not to mention incorrect) dish is an insult to British people. They are not doing themselves any favours by toning down spices (or, in this case, not really using ANY) and changing classic dishes into other, erroneous creations to suit the British palate. Brits want all the spices, the heat and the delicate flavours! Salaam Namaste is most certainly the worst Indian restaurant I have ever been to in Britain. . . and elsewhere! Avoid.

1  Thank bazzie28
There are newer reviews for Salaam Namaste

Reviewed July 17, 2012

As a local I would use this restaurant all the time for a good curry but sometimes you have to wait a while for your food

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Ordered a delivery. Found the staff helpful and they dont try to overcharge.
Ordered chicken madras which was excellent, also had lamb Rogan Josh which the meat was perfect if the sauce was a little oily, veg curry was great, Lamb curry good too naans and poppadums were fresh and tasty. The special Bengal rice was very tasty. Very good service at the right price. We ordered a lot since it was a birthday treat. Portions are very generous so will be eating these curries for the next couple of days. Would recommend to anyone.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

This is how all Indian resturants should be. They do the best balty I have had out side of spark brook in Birmingham. It is also good to see more authentic Indian dises on the menu.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

I go here often and have to say, it's heads and shoulders above the other Asian restaurants in Kingsbridge and, despite living in one of the centres of British curry Bradford for several years, consistently serves some of the best curries I've tasted.

I don't know if their 'normal' curries are that different to anyone else, as the specials have always tempted me which are fantastic - favourites being the Bangladeshi Machli Fry - some sort of spiced fish fillet served with a couple of delicious side dishes, and the wonderful stuffed pepper vegetarian option (sorry - can't remember the name of that one!)

Definitely try the traditional desserts if you have space as well - one is listed on the menu, and another is not - again, can't remember the names, just ask for something traditional rather than the ice cream options - one is an Indian style sponge, the other curd based (that doesn't sound appealing, but it's scrummy!)

To respond to other reviews, I've always found the service excellent, if a little unusual at times, but that's been an amusing aspect of dining here. Most of the time the food is fairly quick to arrive, but it does seem to get slow when busy, and we have had the odd very long dinner there...but really, is this a problem? More time to enjoy another beer and catch up with friends is always a plus in my book, and I don't normally have somewhere urgent to get to in the evenings.

Try it for yourself - I doubt you'll be disappointed!