A couple of little things prevents me from giving this a 5/5 rating, unfortuantely. Those little things did not ruin our fantastic holiday we have just had in this most gorgeous part of the country. I will get them out of the way here, and then move on to the many positives.
The little things fall into the category of 'cleanliness' - a dead spider in the towel, a bathroom bin full of rubbish, things were a bit dusty too, and a casserole pot in the kitchen cupboard that had clearly been used as an ashtray (not the cottage owners fault, I know).
Now that is over with, here is why I loved this place:
1. New, clean kitchens
2. Well-equipped, clean, new-ish bathrooms
3. Clean, comfy beds
4. Free wi-fi (although it was a bit touch-and-go)
5. Swimming pool
6. In the middle of the countryside, with amazing views
7. It's quiet
8. My little dog was welcome, and he loved it
9. Proximity to several beaches
10. 7 days of blue skies and sunshine!
We booked cottage 1 which was great. However, due to events beyond control we spent the last two nights in The Loft with its amazing sea view.
There is a fair bit of building work going on in some of the cottages. We did not find it disturbing and I consider it positive as it shows that money is being invested here. All cottages will have brand new kitchens and bathrooms soon, by the looks of it.
Val, the caretaker was a star - very helpful.
Things we did:
1. Babbacombe model village - a fair way to go but worth it, and it is easy to spend several hours there.
2. Walk around Start Point
3. Walk from Thurlestone to Bantham - superb coastal walk
4. Walk from the cottage to Hope Cove across the fields - a lovely walk. Unfortunately the coastal path is currently closed between Hope Cove and Thurlestone so we couldn't do what we had planned. It is easily possible to walk to Thurlestone beach from the cottage.
5. Visited Salcombe (very nice), Kingsbridge (ok) and Dartmouth (nice).
6. Visited loads of dog-friendly beaches
Eateries we tried:
1. The Cod Father in Kingsbridge - yuck!
2. Britannia @ the Beach - yummy and lovely atmosphere.
3. Winking Prawn - yummy buffet breakfast.
4. Church House Inn at Stokenham - yummy yummy and lovely atmosphere
- Also Known As:
- Court Barton Cottages Kingsbridge, Devon