“Let down at the last hurdle” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tower Inn

Tower Inn
Ranked #9 of 61 Restaurants in Kingsbridge
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Honiton, United Kingdom
“Let down at the last hurdle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

We visited on the 4th of October after hearing lots of rav reviews about the pub.

Parking was a bit of a nightmare but added to the charm of the pub having to walk through the village with our mobiles as torches. We turned the corner and the pub looked amazing, we walked in and there was a real buzz about the place.

I asked how we go about getting a table and they said have a seat and the waitress will come over, all really friendly. When the menu came out we thought we had struck gold and would have ordered everything off the menu if we could have. The wine list was just as impressive.

We ordered, the mussels and squid to start followed by the lamb and gourmet burger. the service was relaxed which was great, gave us a chance to chat and enjoy the wine.

The starters came out and they were beautiful, my friend went as far to say as it was the best squid he had ever had, my mussels weren't dissimilar. After another relaxing wait the mains came out, they both looked amazing! however the burger was very over cooked, my friend ate the salad, 2 onion rings and 4 or 5 fries. we both tried one mouthful of the burger and both agreed it was over cooked. I gave him half of my lamb.

When the waitress came to clear the plates she didn't ask how we enjoyed our meals and we had to point out that one meal had not been eaten, to which she said she would inform the kitchen. There was no apology, this I can forgive as she was a young girl. No one came back to us, so when we asked for the bill we took a bet as to that meal being on the bill or not.

You guessed it it was on the bill. I called what seemed to be a supervisor over and explained that he hadn't eaten his main meal and she again with no apology took the bill away and said she would sort it. A little while went by and she brought the bill back.

Now this is where they failed to meet my expectations but first a little bit of personal back ground, I am a hotelier and have worked on the QE2 and been involved in top hotels and restaurants around the UK including Michelin stared restaurants. so I know a little bit about food, drink and service.

The supervisor informed me that the Chef had told her there is nothing wrong with the burger this is how they have to be cooked so people don't get ill. she then informed me that she would still have to charge us something for the meal as my friend ate some of it (2 onions rings and some salad) and if that wasn't enough then said we should have specified how he wanted the burger cooked. She then apologised for having to say all this to us and ran away as she was clearly VERY embarrassed having to deliver the chefs message which she clearly did not agree with.

Now if we should have specified then surely they should have asked, know the customers needs before they know them themselves.

To sum up, we had a fab meal in a fab venue with fab food, we felt that one dish didn't meet the same standards as the rest of the meal which can be forgiven as they clearly know how to cook. we would have left happy if only for an apology and the one dish removed from the bill and we would have happily recommended the Tower Inn. However due to the bad customer service of the chef this will not be the case.

Now I am excepting a very defensive management reply to this review based on the experience of the chef and reading the one bad review on here.

My review is not meant to be a negative one in fact we loved it there, I would just like the Management to take onboard that they cant get it right every time and when they do make a mistake to put their hand up apologies and make a goodwill gesture.

we left a nice tip and apologised to the supervisor for putting her in that position and left. the sad thing is we talked about the negative attitude of the chef all the way home instead of what a great time we had had.

We will try it again and hopefully Chef wont be as far up himself as use to be the norm with chefs.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Stuart B

Bristol, United Kingdom
“As good as ever..............”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Lovely old traditional pub located in quiet village just a mile back from the sea shore at Slapton Sands. Dropped in on a Saturday night when it was busy and without pre-booking a table; not wise, but all ended well. Staff were very helpful and the four of us had a very good meal. Local caught fresh fish very good.
Varied menu, good choice of wines and real ale, courteous staff both at the bar and in the restaurant. Great atmosphere as local band S'Old Out were playing.

1 Thank Mark8484
Cardiff, south wales
“best meal in a long time!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

we were staying in a nearby camp site about a mile away and had read the great reviews, however we had only intended to stay for a drink. we sat outside in the beer garden, which has a wonderful view of the imposing tower.. it got slightly too cold, so we ventured in and we were tempted by the delish menu.. sadly they didnt have a table for an hour, so we waited by the bar and had another drink. we amused ourselves by reading the best pub guide books, and we glad to see the Tower Inn, in the book!

we were seated at a little table at the side of the restaurant, and i was even allowed to charge my phone nearby.

I opted for the pork belly and my boyfriend had the seabass with sandfire and prawns.
Pork belly was the best Ive ever had in my life. it was so crispy and meaty, not fatty like it can sometimes be. polenta chips were stunning, I havent had it before.

the seabas had a crab ju around it, and alll the flavours just melted in your mouth.
coupled with the addlingtons cider it was all in all a lovely meal. the atmosphere in the pub was great,

I would love to go back here, and my in laws live near newton abbot, so Im hoping we can go back there!!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Cardiff_chick22
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
“The epitome of a classic British pub serving quality food and drink”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Visited Dartmouth to see friends and took dinner here on Saturday night. Warm welcome from the staff, very attentive service and really well prepared food. There are so many places doing well in the south west that its hard to stand out - The Tower does just that with effortless charm. The whole package works so well, the history of the building, the great decor, the great beers, reasonable wines and excellent food. We enjoyed a super evening here and would recommend this high performing team to anyone. The odd thing about places who achieve this standard is that they make something which is so obviously hard look so effortless, The Tower is a winner.

Chilworth, England, United Kingdom
“Disappointed to leave and can't wait to go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

We've just spent four nights at The Tower Inn, a treat to ourselves to celebrate our anniversary, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. We'd chosen it for it's location and because we could take our dog with us but it far exceeded our expectations. The pub is charming with a great array of local beers and locally brewed lagers with a good wine list including icy cold Prosecco which hit just the right note after a hot day enjoying the beautiful beaches and countryside.

The menu was so appealing and the food so beautifully cooked, we ate at the inn each night. The breakfasts were also a cut above your average b&b experience. The bar and waiting staff were all very friendly and laid back and we (including our dog) were made to feel very welcome.

The room was clean and cosy and the bed was extremely comfortable. We were sad to leave and will definitely go back - maybe for a wintery experience next time - I bet it's lovely when the fires are lit and it's cold outside.