“Lovely friendly and cosy place close to the moor and Plymouth, best choice we made in years”
Review of Overcombe House

Overcombe House
Ranked #1 of 3 Horrabridge B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Stayed at many places over the years on dartmoor but after staying with David & John at Overcombe in Sept 11 we finally found a place we could return to. Stayed again in Feb 12 and booked to stay again. Food is great, rooms are clean and spacious and location is perfect Cant fault it for anything so far. If there were any problems it would be sorted promptly.

• Stayed: February 2012

Reviewed December 20, 2011

My friend and I were in the area for a family wedding so Overcombe was our "home" for a week. And it really did feel that way. David and John were very engaging hosts. Since we were there so long, we had the same window table for breakfast daily, and we really enjoyed the delicious meals each morning. The rooms were meticulously clean and toiletries of high quality. Lots of attention to detail. Location is good for walking on the moors. We didn't have a car, so the convenience of a bus stop nearby was invaluable. Overcombe is a wonderful memory and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 7, 2011

We spent a week at Overcombe. The service was very good and David & John did all they could to ensure we enjoyed our stay. I can't fault them on attention to detail.

My wife and I did find that our room had insufficient drawers for our clothing, so that we often had to place clothing on whatever available space we could find on the floor. Room 9 is perhaps a bit small and it might be difficult to find space therein for a bit more furniture for clothing.

One morning I was talking to David and he mentioned that at times the room occupancy percentage was a bit worrying. I wonder if a lot of people don't return because of the smallness of some of the rooms. Would a better room occupancy percentage be achieved if 11 rooms were reduced to say 9? Just a thought.

Not really a negative, but the northern exit from Old Station Road is very dangerous. It is definitely safer emerging at the southern junction. I was given this information by a local man walking along Old Station Road. David & John would know this. A prominent notice at Overcombe would probably be appreciated by their guests, and be seen as being very helpful.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Chris B
Reviewed September 16, 2011

This was my 3rd trip to Dartmoor and I wouldn't stay anywhere else! David & John are really friendly and make you so welcome. The rooms are well maintained, comfortable and spotlessly clean with lovely views. Lots of extras in the rooms such as toiletries and bottled water. They are also strong on recycling and caring for the environment. Breakfast is fantastic, all local produce and plenty of it! I will definitely be staying there again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good but the "Moor" rooms have lovely views of Dartmoor.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay here. The rooms were comfortable, and the availability of a room with a flat-floored shower was a real benefit to one of us. Excellent breakfast too, with a choice of various dishes. The hosts really made an effort to help us enjoy our stay in this lovely area, and we really appreciated the little extra things such as providing us with ideas for trips and even borrowing us a map of the environment.

Room Tip: There's a very good ground floor twin room for people who are less mobile - great view from the...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2011

This is not the first time I have stayed at Overcome House. When I was a child I lived in Yelverton and, sixty years on, I love returning to this part of the world. I hope to come back soon with my partner with whom I can enjoy not just the excellent Overcome hospitality but also the matchless beauty of Dartmoor. There could be no better base than Overcome House and no better hosts than David and John.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 26, 2011

A trip for business, what a loverly stay, never had such a up market breakfast before in a B and B.

Will be coming back here again soon
Thanks

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Overcombe House? Share your experiences!