“Perfect for my needs”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hawkchurch B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Perfect for my needs”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I recently stayed at the Fairwater while I did the four day cookery school at the nearby River Cottage. I was in a room in the main house, which was very clean and I was made to feel very welcome. The wifi worked perfectly, and the gardens were lovely. The showers did take a bit of working out, but compared to the rest of my stay this was nothing. I loved it. Staff were friendly, and very accommodating, and even though I could hear dogs barking next door a few times (a dog friendly hotel) I was never woken my any noises, dogs included, during my five night stay. If I were to return to River Cottage I daresay I would stay here again. Special thanks to Chris, who helped me with my laundry and my sore throat :)

Room Tip: I did hear from other guests the wifi didn't work in their rooms, so I recommend a room in the m...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Heathfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

A charming hotel with an appealing quirkiness. Our room in the East Wing was adequate - lovely big bed, very clean, quiet and comfortable. Bathroom very clean but with hopelessly weak shower. Maybe the plumbing is better in the main house. Chris was lovely, chatty and very helpful. Food fantastic quality and beautifully cooked - I was too full to have a proper pud so opted for coffee and chocolate ice cream - amazing! Truly some of the best I have tasted - I even looked up the website of the producers in Somerset and told them so. Our waitress was efficient and knowledgeable. The hotel had a large party of River Cottage students staying who I imagine would have appreciated the quality of the food. Excellent scrambled eggs at breakfast too.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lyme Regis
Reviewed May 1, 2013

A lady in reception greeted us very nicely and made us feel welcome, however we were served a poor lunch in the restaurant by a young lady who would very much benefit from training in how to smile, serve wine and wait on tables......

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ToniLymeRegis
Portsmouth UK
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Our second stay.

The first time was in the East Wing which was a little drab and suffered from condensation and slow showers etc as stated by others. Nevertheless the welcome and especially the superb dinner more than compensated. More recently we stayed in the main hotel building in a gorgeous room and once again the dinner was amazing - way beyond what you would expect. The hotel has a mildly Fawlty Towers feel to it, Chris included, burt the sheer warmth of the welcome, the situation of the hotel and that FOOD makes this a treasure to discover. Go, forgive a little, and love a lot!

Room Tip: Main hotel building
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a well run hotel with a pleasing view to the valley below and genuinely good standards of customer service. The food is of a high (and consistent) standard. It is set in a rural situation and there is adequate car parking. The hotel is dog-friendly. We would return if visiting the area again. The rooms are okay but would benefit from a certain amount of upgrading: somewhat sparse bathroom with weakish shower, carpets a little tired and a dressing table with no electrical socket in sight. With attention to such detail and investment, this would be an all round five out of five establishment. It has many more strengths than weaknesses.

Room Tip: Head for Main building or East Wing
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Romsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights last weekend. What a fantastic place! Lovely bedrooms, fantastic food and superb service, we were so impressed that we want to go back again. Samantha was very efficient in taking our booking... she gave us a tour of the hotel when we arrived. Chris the restaurant manager was very attentive and all staff members were very friendly and welcoming. I can't recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The 2 ladies covering reception could not have done been more helpful, although the offer of a pot of tea or coffee on arrival would have added to their great customer service. The waitresses were also very polite, friendly and efficient.
I stayed with my husband in the East Wing's room 12 for 2 nights, on a great value Groupon deal for £99 in early spring 2013 The room had a lovely view of the garden and beautiful surrounding countryside.
The weather was very cold and the room's heating was inadequate - luckily I had a hot water bottle with me. Bad condensation formed on the bedroom and bathroom windows, and also on the bathroom tiles, as our time spent in the room that day went on.
The headwaiter/head barman, Chris, was v polite and chatty, but I felt he was arrogant at times, similar to the owner, Adam. The evening restaurant service was very slow; it was as if there was not enough staff in the kitchen to help the chef.
The meal was the best thing about the break; I had not tasted food this good for 20 years, although it was quite expensive. Also, we got a free 1/2 bottle of house wine with the Groupon deal, if 2 courses each were ordered.
The hotel also has gluten-free bread and you can also ask the chef to do a gluten-free option to the meals, if available. Soya milk is also available at all meals. Their dietary options need to be pre-ordered to guarantee availability.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the rooms at the far end of the East Wing, on both floors. They sound proofing in the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DorsetBrucieBaby
FWHH, Owner at Fairwater Head Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Our chef is always happy where possible to adjust our menu to cater for dietary needs and we are pleased you enjoyed your meal with us. We promote a very relaxed atmosphere at the hotel and that includes allowing guests to take their time when dining in the restaurant and why we only have one sitting. Although there may have been an impression of being understaffed there are members of staff behind the scenes which the guests do not necessarily see and our staffing levels are adjusted to easily manage the numbers of guests.

We apologise for the condensation in the room, however the weather was extremely cold and we feel the effect of the blow heater being used without ventilation, naturally caused the condensation. When the rooms are unoccupied we keep a window slightly open in the bedrooms which helps ventilate the airflow.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawkchurch
Dower House Hotel
#1 of 10 in Bridport
Monkton Wyld Court
Monkton Wyld Court
#2 of 7 in Charmouth

Been to Fairwater Head Hotel? Share your experiences!