“Charming Hotel”

Buckland Tout-Saints Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Goveton B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 23, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for four nights on a special winter offer which included two dinners. As a large comfortable bed is important to us, I spoke to reception and we were fortunate to have been given the room Gardenia which was both spacious and very comfortable (I cannot understand the comments of a previous guest.) We did overhear another couple who were not so pleased with their room which was small and up two flights of stairs. We found the service to be very good and the food was good but not exceptional. We were recommended a good Indian restaurant in Kingsbridge for one of the evenings. We enjoyed our stay enormously and would definitely return .

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 6, 2008

Had a lovely 2 night break - lovely welcoming hotel (although down a very narrow lane and not easy to find without a satnav!). Staff very friendly and professional. Bedroom was refurbished to a high standard with lots of space (we had the Orchid room). Restaurant for beakfast and dinner was excellent - 2 coursedinner was £29.50 but high quality however not much choice. Overall an excellent place to stay - well positioned for Dartmouth and Salcombe. Only negative was that the bedroom could have been warmer.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2008

The location is lovely, however be aware that access from the main roads is along several miles of single track lanes with high banks and few passing places.
The contemporary room we had requested was disappointingly small, located in the attic approached up the side stairs, with a small window above head height which was closed making the room hot and stuffy. The bathroom was so small that the washhandbasin was in the bedroom, and there was no shower.
We were offered a Superior traditional room, at an additional cost, at the back of the hotel, the decor of which seemed rather tired. We were told that the only rooms with a view at the front were suites that were not available.
20 minutes before dinner both dining rooms were still in pitch darkness, and not at all inviting.
We were so disappointed we put our cases back in the car and drove off.
The receptionist was pleasant and tried to be helpful, but there was noone available to assist with our cases, and there seemed to be hardly any staff on duty.
The room rates quoted over a couple of phone calls varied considerably, and I needed to draw their attention to the special rate advertised on their website.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Dumbly
Reviewed August 25, 2008

We have stayed at this hotel 4 times now which is why we held our wedding there recently. The rooms are spacious and inviting, the staff are excellent and the food is outstanding. Their attention to detail makes their customer service one of the best I've experienced in the UK. Nothing is too much trouble and the memories are always positive.

I may be biased having held our wedding there but can honestly say we had absolutely no problems on our special day. We are truly grateful.

I'd recommend this hotel for a romantic relaxing weekend away and for a special wedding experience.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank pgiess
Reviewed August 19, 2008

Bit of a mixed review to be honest - the building itself is beautiful, set in a lovely wooded valley, gardens excellent. Bit of a hairy drive through incredibly narrow country lanes - SatNav came in handy.

Our room (Gardenia) was large and tidy, huge bed, good size but (hot and steamy) bathroom - not much of a view, just above the kitchens and the bins. The 2 dining rooms were impressive as was the oak panelled bar fitted with comfortable leather sofas and chairs - well stocked bar, friendly bar man. The first night we decided to eat out, came back and had late drink in the bar - service a bit slow but not a problem, went to bed looking forward to a good night's sleep, unfortunately didn't happen, woken up at 12.30am by family moving in to the room above, noise went on for ages, including children running around - we complained to the night staff and it went quiet, for about 5 minutes, noise continued until about 1.30 - managed to get about 5 hours sleep until 6.30am when children running around above started again.

We naturally complained when we went down for breakfast (good by the way) we were told we would be moved to another room while we were out for the day - came back later in the day and yes they had found us another room - Begonia, tucked around the back (still above the kitchen) dark, smaller than our previous room and no where near as good - I couldn't be bothered to complain again, we were only staying for one more night - oh and we were woken at 6.45 with the bins being moved ready for collection.

We had dinner at the hotel that night, it was ok, nothing special, the starter was strange to say the least, crab meat topped with avocado and coriander ice-cream, plus a strange red sauce, the main meal (beef) was a lot better. We were offered a complimentary bottle of wine which we appreciated but when you think of the hassle a £17 bottle of Chilean plonk isn't great compensation - and then, it got worse - I took a final swig out of my glass and felt something in my mouth, cork? No, sediment, No, South American bug with legs and antennae? Yes. Needless to say the late night brandies and coffee were also complimentary...

OK so the problems weren't directly caused by the hotel, the bug was clearly in the bottle already and it wasn't their fault that kids were running around at 1 in the morning, but in all honesty this type of country hotel isn't the sort of place where families should stay anyway, so was surprised they were there in the first place - bit like the bug really, but I do feel the hotel could have offered a bit more on the compensation front - and to rub salt into the wounds, the family who had been above us were also moved - into our old room (I guess because it was above the kitchens with no one below them - pity the poor kitchen staff).

So, you might be lucky and get one of the decent rooms - either way it's a creaky, old hotel, probably worth taking ear plugs - and your credit cards - it's not cheap.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pressure_Drop
Reviewed June 17, 2008

Stayed at this hotel last weekend for a wedding and had a wonderful time. Our room, Orchid, was one of the attic rooms which seem to disappoint some other reviewers, but we thought it was charming. Really comfy bed, stunning views, mineral water and fruit in room. The bathroom was very small, and the shower of the hand-held variety, but that didn't bother us. The wash basin is in the main bedroom - again, no problem. Some other guests on our floor did mention lack of headroom in the bathroom but ours was fine.

The garden and terrace is a lovely space to relax in and enjoy a cream tea or something stronger. You can even play croquet on the lawn.

Hospitality was faultless - staff were efficient and friendly producing drinks, snacks, whatever we wanted with remarkable efficiency. Food was excellent. I had to confess to the manageress that my fake tan had spattered across the duvet when I flipped the lid (also across my evening dress and wrap!) - I was horror struck, and just stood there looking at the mess while my ever helpful husband quipped "well you can't blame this one on me". My first thought was of Alan Partridge and the chocolate mousse episode when he said "They'll think it's some kind of dirty protest". Fortunately they were very understanding, refusing my offer of paying for any damage. They were more concerned for my dress. We did run an errand for them into Dartmouth the next morning, so I didn't feel quite so bad.

Access is a little tricky if you are not used to single track lanes- fortunately we didn't encounter many cars coming the other way (most traffic is hotel staff anyway, who are well used to meeting guests in the lane).

My only suggestion would be to have tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms, and the carpets on the main staircase could really do with a clean, otherwise this is a charming place, perfect for a tranquil weekend, romantic getaway or indeed a summer wedding!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 2, 2008

Got to hotel with no problem sat nav spot on
Very nice position and great views from entrance we were should to are room and it was very small with no view as the window was so small.
The bathroom was so small with only a bath no seperate shower and when i stood up in the bath my head hit the ceiling i am 6`3.
We could hear every word that was said in the next room and when in the bath room could have talked to the couple next door.
Not very good for the price we paid.
The restaurant was very good and the food was faultless and also the service.
I WOULD STAY THERE AGAIN BUT NOT IN THE ATTIC ROOMS
AS THE OTHER ROOMS IN THE OLDER PART WERE VERY BIG.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BristolSkuse
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goveton
Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in North Bovey
The Cottage Hotel
The Cottage Hotel
#1 of 4 in Hope Cove

Been to Buckland Tout-Saints Hotel? Share your experiences!