“Excellent yet again!”
Review of The Ashbury Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fowley Cross
The Ashbury Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fowley Cross
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

We recently had our 13 yearly trip to Ashbury. We tend to go at the end of September and the group size is around 20/24. Once again we had a fantastic four days playing the Oakwood, Beeches, Forest and Kigbeare courses. The courses were in good condition given the weather with the Forest in particularly excellent condition. Given the mixed golfing abilities in our group we always find the courses challenging yet manageable. Once again the food was fantastic and enjoyable and activities just right for our group. The accommodation is always clean, it's basic, but again it's a two star hotel!
As many people have mentioned there are many male groups who like to play golf and have a pint, but the vast majority are well behaved and after the initial busy times of 7.30pm the bar area does get quieter, and there are more than enough spaces to retreat too if you want some peace and quiet.
The complex has grown significantly over the years but they have always expanded the activities at the same time, a few more snooker tables would be nice though.
In terms of value for money it cannot be rivalled, for around £60 per day you get greens fees, food, accommodation, activities, heated lockers and very good service in a single venue where you can spend quality time with your family/friends. The Ashbury has never been or portrayed itself as a upmarket resort, but it does have everything you need to make a great break that suits everybody's budget.We have booked again for 2014 whilst the Ryder Cup is on, and it will no doubt be another great weekend!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Adic1970
ManorAshbury, General Manager at The Ashbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Dear Adic1970

Thank you very much for the fantastic review you have posted. It’s great when guests really understand the ethos of the hotel and the full package we are trying to achieve. We have some 15 snooker tables already but I would like to put a few more in when space and time allows. At the moment we are busy finishing off our new toddlers pool (on for October half team) and our new Spa (hoping to get this on mid-December). I have put up a copy of your post for all staff to read and the Course Manager passes on his thanks as well. We look forward very much to welcoming you all back next September – Come on Europe!!!

Simon Brothers
(Manager, Ashbury Hotel)

Reviewed October 11, 2013

81 holes of Golf in 2 and a half days excellent service and facilities . Staff always on hand to help and assist , food is hearty , but very good quality and well presented and delivered with a smile. Also a Bar that is not a rip off very unusual for a Hotel.

Room Tip: try the website first some rooms have a view ,but I was there to play Golf and enjoy quality time w...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Upalia
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This is my third visit and as always, I am brutally honest.

I think that as a golf venue it is fantastic; where else can you play so many different holes in consecutive days without travelling? The buggies, pro shop, lockers and green staff are brilliant. The courses are good, but all of the greens were crowned at the hole; that is easily rectified, but why is it happening?

I suppose, it being a golfing holiday venue, there are bound to be many non-golfers having a bash at the game. In itself, that is to be applauded, but many I have seen and others have commented on, are way out of their depth playing courses like the Kigbeare and Beeches. These courses are not for beginners; they are better suited to the Willows and perhaps the Oakwood. Despite there being many posters about avoiding slow play, I didn't see any prominent ones about the etiquette of golf, but having said that, we did not get held up once this time round, and there was a Course Marshall in operation checking on groups and times.

The bar scene is spoilt by groups of male golfers being away from their spouses and behaving like children, and I agree that many are just Chavs with fake bling, appalling dress sense and far too much to shout about; I suspect that some may have been guests at Her Majesty's pleasure.

The staff are extremely willing and always polite. To those who criticise them, I would suggest they try speaking to them like humans beings like to be spoken to and not to whistle them for attention. There was a shortage of wine waiters on the first night, so we bought our wine at the bar before sitting down when allowed to do so.

The food is plentiful and in the main very wholesome, but on this occasion there were two evening meals where I thought the meat served was not good; I would suggest the cuts were cheap cuts. If Simon reads this, I am referring to the pork steak and the leg of lamb.

The rooms are OK, basic and functional. We stayed upstairs in the West block this time, not as good as the Moor View block in my opinion. On the ground floor, the rooms have doors to an outdoor sitting area for smoking, but their smoke rises into the rooms of non-smokers above them with their windows open, trying to get rid of the heat. I am a non smoker, or at least I was until I got to breathe in the equivalent of 20 a day from the smokers; is it not possible to segregate smokers from non smokers into different blocks?

Overall, I still like the place, and in fairness most of the bad points are to do with the guests. I'm sure many would like to see better behaviour from them, but I suppose copious amounts of alcohol brings in good revenue.

It must be a marketer's nightmare in running this business as you need occupancy and the occupants to spend money. Hiking the prices may bring better behaviour, but will reduce occupancy, so the policy of offering exceptional value for money brings with it many of the problems this venue suffers from.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BobbyDuce
ManorAshbury, General Manager at The Ashbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Crustyoldbloke

Thank you for your feedback in regard to your recent stay with us. It is refreshing to see an honest yet forthcoming review. It is feedback like this that enables us to improve and make changes to procedures. Let me go through your points one by one….

• I am glad you enjoyed the golf. We have not had a problem with “crowned” holes and I have passed your comment on to the Course Manager so he can look into this.

• We do try to steer beginner golfers to Willows and then our shorter courses like Oakwood. I was glad to read that you were not held up on any of your rounds and that the Marshalls were operating as usual.

• Thank you for your kind comments on the staff.

• I am checking the two meat cuts you have mentioned. I know for certain that they are not the cheapest but I will monitor this to ensure we get the quality we are expecting each time.

• The Moorview rooms are our newest rooms and we are currently upgrading some of our other rooms.

• Although difficult to control smokers in outside areas we will look at providing more smoking shelters away from bedroom blocks. In the case of Westview I have already moved the patio tables further away from the building.

• We would certainly not look to hike prices as we believe our exceptional value is our main marketing tool. We will however, continue to speak to all guests and marshal them in the public areas. I must point out though that we don’t have any major problems with bad behaviour but some groups can be a little noisy in the bar areas. We do provide a variety of different lounge areas to give groups some modicum of privacy and I will look to improve this in the future.

Once again thank you for your valuable feedback and we hope to welcome you back again in the very near future.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Hi I'm 11 years old and I was looking forward to this whole family holiday. My holiday was AUWFUL do not bring your family here!!!! Seven of us traveled for seven hours in the car and me and my two cousins kept ringing each other giving travel updates and when we arrived it looked pleasant but when we went into our rooms it looked as if we had visited a seventies museum. One of the rooms toilet did not work so four of us had to have a different room. At tea that evening me and my cousins compared the yucky rooms and when we took our shoes off to go in the rooms the carpet was horrible and sticky.
Also the art activities you would have to pay a lot of money a specially when it's a big family holiday.
BASICALLY DON'T COME HERE, if you deserve your holiday!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Ian T

Dear Ian T

I am sorry to read in your review that you did not enjoy your holiday with us at Ashbury. I apologise that your room’s toilet was not operating correctly but was glad to see that you were given an alternative room immediately. The art activities are one of the very few things you do have to pay for here and you are only paying for the cost of the materials. Vast amounts of other facilities, sports and leisure are included in the price. I have received no other reports of sticky carpets and have checked a number of rooms and found no problems. We are not a boutique hotel and this is reflected in the price. I do however, considering your age, commend your knowledge of seventies décor.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We have visited this hotel about 10 times over the last 7 years now. The number of rooms have increased considerably as have the facilities. The value for money is second to none; there always appears to be 'offers' - we paid just under £60 per day each for full board which included 27 holes of free golf every day.

We played the Beeches course on our first day which is only 5400 yards off the yellow tees (par 69) and it took almost 4 hrs 45 mins! Two four balls in front would not let us through and yet there was no-one in front of them. I don't really care how long you take to play a game - but if you are holding someone up, please let them through. This is not just polite but is part of golf etiquette. If only there were marshalls to speed up slow play.

I am not criticising for the sake of it - I shall probably return again; but if this annoys you then this may not be the place for you.

Secondly, although the food is plentiful and wholesome, I would have thought that by now they would have learnt how to cook vegetables. Generally overcooked mush spoiling what would otherwise be a very nice meal.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My second visit,for a 3 day golf trip.Overall I shouldn't moan as it's dirt cheap,but the whole place is now tired and grubby.It's a poor "Golf Butlins"
The golf courses are ok but nothing special, poorly laid-out and spread all over the place.
Food is copious and edible in a "school dinners" style.
The room was functional but squeezing 3 people into a double makes it all a bit too snug.
The entrance and hallway to our Moorview block were filthy,hadn't seen a hoover in days.
Decor and carpet throughout the bars and restaurants are grubby and drab, with plenty of trackie bottoms, trainers and bling on show from the predominantly chav punters.
It was definitely a golf experience!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear happyh65

I am sorry that you didn’t enjoy your break with us at Ashbury. It is difficult for our unique hotel to appeal to all, although we do try. We see our value in the reasonable price combined with a wealth of sports and activities that are included without further charges. I feel the words “grubby” and “filthy” are a bit strong – we know we can improve some areas and we are doing so as fast as we can. We are often praised by our customers on the layout and condition of the courses and, the range and quality of our food. We do have a variety of room sizes and I am sure if you had asked we could have moved you to a more suitable room. Again, I apologise we did not meet your expectations for a 2 Star hotel and I wish you all the best with your future breaks elsewhere.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

This hotel has fantastic facilities with sport, craft, exercise and pampering to keep the whole family entertained in the best and worst of weather that Devon has to offer. Facilities and options keep being extended. Rooms are adequately sized with plenty of storage and very clean.

My only complaint would be that the food really is basic mass catering. You go full board and as far as the food goes you get what you pay for.

However it is excellent value for money for all the activities on offer that are all included. You only pay for consumables used in craft activities. You can use all facilities at the Manor House Hotel which is 2 miles away down a twisty lane.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ellenbee4

Dear ellenbee4

Thank you for the review you have posted. I was glad to read that you had enjoyed all the facilities and activities. As you have stated we are extending our range of facilities further this year. We opened our new Craft Centre at Ashbury during the summer holidays. We aim to have our new toddler’s pool with slides open for October Half Term and this will be followed by our new spa and Hydrotherapy pool hopefully sometime in December.

I was sorry that you did not completely enjoy the food on offer but as you can see from other reviews (like the 5 listed below) most guests enjoy what is on offer. There are A La Carte options, for a small supplement, during the evening meal for those that would like to upgrade their menu choice.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we certainly hope to welcome you again in the very near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fowley Cross
#1 of 5 in Tavistock
Gidleigh Park
Gidleigh Park
#1 of 2 in Chagford

Been to The Ashbury Hotel? Share your experiences!