“Restored my faith in Guest houses” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Breken Guest House
Ranked #10 of 19 Exmouth B&B and Inns
Newport, United Kingdom
“Restored my faith in Guest houses”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

I only stayed for one night, but it has changed my view on Guest Houses. Previous stays in other Guest Houses have been usually regretted due to poor accommodation, Service and Food. But my one night at the Breken has completely reversed my opinion. The house was spotlessly clean, my room was too. The Bed linen and Towels were faultless and it made my stay very pleasurable. I cannot stand anything that is worn out, threadbare or old, it makes me cringe. But this place was obviously run by someone who had standards that were similar to mine and it showed.
The accommodation was immaculate and the Breakfast was just as I like it. There was a good selection of Breakfast Cereals on offer, pots of coffee or tea, Orange juice or milk. Plenty of preserves and more Toast than I could eat. This was followed by a full English breakfast with complete choice of what you would like on the plate. It seemed each time I wished to omit an item, I was offered an alternative!! Just perfect.
The Lady who seemed to be in charge (Tonia) was a splendid Host and made my stay so enjoyable. Good humoured chat that was pleasant, she was talkative but got on with the business too. The price I paid gave me a great felling of having had my monies worth while at the same time not having been ripped off. A great place, great staff, great food and a very reasonable price. I would recommend this place to anyone. I have stayed in 5 star hotels and had far less value for money. Even with the money aside, this stay was excellent.

Room Tip: I had a look at the room next to mine as it was being vacated also that morning and the standard was...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

have just spent 3 nights at this B & B, Tonia is a welcoming host, the rooms was immaculate with a comfortable bed complimented by a kettle etc. The breakfast was good. Parking is hard around the house but Tonia had a free pass for a car park approx 5 mins away from house. walk to seafront about 10 mins.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Verwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stayed for two nights. A big room. A large clean and spotless bathroom. A TV that works. Tea, coffee, biscuits, breakfast, everything is just very good. I've stayed in two larger hotels - twice the price, well less than half the accommodation. All this and the sea is only 400 yards away in either direction.
Is it perfect? No. There are tiny and minor imperfections. A door catches slightly on the lino. One worktop isn't immaculately smooth. Am I picky - well, these are things that I tried to find, but that frankly didn't matter. I'd find perfection somewhat irritating, so this is just very very good.
Tonya put herself out to be helpful... So if you're coming to Exmouth stay here. Great value. A comfy bed. Lots of pillows. Clean towels and linen. I even found myself being OK with the pictures and decor...how good is that? Lots of sockets, a small desk, double glazed windows. Make no mistake about it, this isn't perfection but it's a well-run, thoughtfully professional B&B that's well-managed and well-planned. It sets a very high standard, and I'd endorse the other positive reviews.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 2. No view to speak of. But a spacious and airy room. BUT...I suspect they're...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Copster Green Lancashire UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

We booked all but their 2 single rooms for 13 members of our family to attend a wedding in Emouth, Jess was really helpful when booking, there was a slight hiccup when we arrived and the 2 single beds were not in the family rooms, we sorted ourselves out. The b&b was ideal for us, there isn't a lounge but Jess agreed that we could use the dining room to all get together after going out to eat. Breakfast was good, location is close to beach & town, rooms were clean, we had 5 children in our group and they were all made welcome, thanks Jess & family

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

Tonia provides an unforgettable atmosphere to one's stay. She is the ultimate hostess, welcoming, friendly, going out of her way to help, maintaining a wonderful decor and spotless rooms. The location is excellent and it wasn't as difficult as I had thought to get a car park! I would, however, have preferred a more firm, hard mattress.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

I stayed here with my wife in November. Since I write reviews on places to eat and stay I thought it was fitting to use and try a guest house. This guest house is a delightful place to stay, clean, warm, friendly, some people maybe not be used to such friendliness but its genuine and warm. The room was airy and comfortable, one small job that needs to be attended to is the door which needs adjusting to stop it scraping on the floor, which will eventually scar the floor surface and the toilet seat is loose. these are just minor suggestions. I thought the location adjacent to town center and the sea front was very desirable. Breakfast was good a full English breakfast was offered with cereals and fruit and juices in addition.,
yes I would recommend anyone to a comfortable stay here. Like may small hotels there are stairs to climb so those less able to climb stairs should bear this in mind when making reservations here. Other wise stay and enjoy. if you enjoy clock that chime then you will really enjoy the clocks here,and they don't disturb you at night

Room Tip: I think i stayed in room 2 this was a good room for two really confortable.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Coventry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at Breken House. Situated close to lovely sandy beach. Friendly owners. Very nice breakfast. Pleasant decor. Rooms clean. Would definately visit again.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family