“five day trip”
Review of Ashton Court

Ashton Court
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Exmouth
Reviewed April 27, 2013

A well situated hotel near the beach and the town, warm and clean ,the food was good and served hot and the waitresses always had a smile,at the front of the hotel there is no ramp for disabled but there is a button to press at the bottom of steps if you require assistance , there was entertainment on three nights i could not comment on this as we went for a walk after dinner along the sea front and into town as the weather was good.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank tracey d

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We have just returned from a trip to Exmouth with JUST GO coaches. Our stay at the Ashton Court hotel was lovely!! The room was warm, clean and with excellent views. The waiting staff were warm and friendly. Constant hot water and the choice of a bath or shower!! The food was fine!! It was basic meals but what did one expect for the price of the trip inclusive of a day out in Exeter and a trip to Dawlish. If you want 5*****meals you need to book into a 5***** hotel.
Not too far to the town centre and you felt safe walking round at night as there was a good police presence in the town!! Well done all we enjoyed ourselves immensely!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
15  Thank VANESSA C
Reviewed October 8, 2012

With another couple my wife and I took a Friday - Monday break with Just Go holidays in late September/early October 2012. We found the staff very friendly, the rooms clean and tidy and the food well cooked and promptly served by the young waiting staff. Excellent value for a two star hotel which is in a great sea view position in the same terrace as a number of historic buildings. Another plus is that it is just a few minutes into Exmouth town centre. An even bigger plus for a lot of people are the very reasonable bar prices: £2.40 per pint of Tetleys bitter and £1.40 per single Famous Grouse as sample prices. It's a refreshing change not to be ripped off with sky high bar prices where the hotel is trying to make up the margin they give to the tour operator which is very often the case we find. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank frankmemo
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed here with my husband for the weekend Friday 31st August, we were on a coach trip, most of the people on the coach were elderly. We had a room overlooking the sea, the Hotel is in a nice quiet elevated position, the beds were a bit hard for our tastes, but we both had really good night sleeps. Our room was clean, the bathroom, towels and bed linen were all nice and clean, the carpets furniture and decor are all a bit basic and tired looking, the food was ok, but nothing special, the waiting staff in the restaurant were all young but very efficient and friendly. My main complaint was we were told which table we were sitting at and who we were sharing it with, I like to choose who I dine with not just be seated with strangers. There was entertainment on two nights of our stay, this was well suited to the majority of the guests. The bar prices were very reasonable.
All in all it was quite good value for what we paid which wasn't expensive, as the saying goes you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank mazrat69
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This hotel is situated for easy access to the town and to the seafront.The food was
ok but if you had big appetite not enough.Our room was on the third floor 305 we were
disappointed when we entered the room because of the subsidance. the carpet was
very dirty and the towels had holes in them the bed sheets had rips also the shower curtain filthy also the toilet very dirty under the rim. the carpet was not vacumed the three
nights we stayed there.The dinning room where they had the breakfast cereal on tables
to help yourself. under the table there was bits and pieces of cereal the three days we
were there.This hotel needs refurbishment pronto.Our journey to Exmouth started at Sarn Park Services was to start 8.40 on the 24 August where we boarded the coach and sat there for 45 minutes the Driver was not very happy with the coach which had
elerictcal problems the fitters were present at this time so they decided to get another
coach witch turned out to be a( SCHOOL BUS) it was full of rubbish this coach had not been cleaned since the children had used it. the driver was very good and kept appologise about the coach which was not is fault. the responsability lays with the coach company (GWYN JONES TRAVEL) bridgend. so Leisure Time coach holiday shop. i hope you read this review?

Room Tip: Stay below floor three or don,t bother
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank john_lewis18
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The hotel is situated on Louisa Terrace which runs parallel to the sea front road. It's only a short walk to the sea front but, returning to the hotel, the road is quite steep, It may slow down anyone with walking or breathing difficulties. The same applies to the walk into town, which is approximately 10 minutes walk from the hotel. Excellent views from the hotel and the small, privately owned by the hotel, grassed area across the road from the hotel, (quiet road).

Our room (207) for two people, was small with a very tiny shower room (although the shower itself was very roomy, the width of the room) but both were spotless, comfortable twin beds, clean linen, plenty of hot water,not luxurious but, for the price of our coach holiday, very acceptable. There is a very tiny lift (3 people) a tight squeeze for 2 with cases. It does take you down from the ground floor to the restaurant which is below street level Otherwide, to go to the restaurant, the stairs are steep and narrow. There are ground floor rooms available.

Excellent breakfast and a choice of menu at the evening meal, cheerful waiters and waitresses. Travelling to the hotel from the Midlands, our coach broke down at the service station just passed Worcester and we were there for 5 hours whilst another coach was found.On travelling again we hit two separate traffic hold ups, which took 1 hour on each occasion to negotiate. We didn't arrive at the hotel until 9.45 p.m. (12 hour journey), but the staff in the restaurant happily and cheerfully served our 3-course meal. The food was plentiful and nicely presented. Bar in lounge with cheerful service and singer on both nights we were there.

For the price we paid excellent, we were well satisfied with the Ashton Court Hotel. Just Go Holidays, £119, including day visit to Exeter and half day to Dawlish. For the amount of money the hotel received, they provided very good value to their guests.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank blossom085
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This is a nice hotel in an enviable position and if the sun is shining so much the better. The rooms are of a good size and provide everything you need to make a hot drink, tv, hairdryer and a lift to all floors. I stayed there recently on a coach trip with Just Go holidays and although I was disappointed there was no bingo when I was there, the entertainment on 2 of the evenings was quite pleasant. My only real criticism was that the hotel knew I was a vegetarian, but the only option offered to me on the first night was a cheese salad and even the soup option wasn`t vegetarian, but on discovering that I ate fish, I was offered battered fish for my main course and I accepted this. Things improved rapidly after the first night, breakfast option for vegetarians was 2 veggie sausages in place of the bacon and sausage for meat eaters which pleased me as very often the breakfast in hotels I am offered is egg, beans and tomatoes, and there was better choices for evening meals. All in all given the price I paid, I assume the hotel were on a tight budget for supplying meals but they managed to offer sufficient to eat with a good choice of mains and about 6 choices for dessert, which is more than adequate for anybody. I would definitely stay there again, but would bring my own tin of tuna fish with me next time!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple