“Comfortable hotel....”

and 1 more site!
Ashton Court
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Exmouth
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The hotel is situated on Louisa Terrace which runs parallel to the sea front road. It's only a short walk to the sea front but, returning to the hotel, the road is quite steep, It may slow down anyone with walking or breathing difficulties. The same applies to the walk into town, which is approximately 10 minutes walk from the hotel. Excellent views from the hotel and the small, privately owned by the hotel, grassed area across the road from the hotel, (quiet road).

Our room (207) for two people, was small with a very tiny shower room (although the shower itself was very roomy, the width of the room) but both were spotless, comfortable twin beds, clean linen, plenty of hot water,not luxurious but, for the price of our coach holiday, very acceptable. There is a very tiny lift (3 people) a tight squeeze for 2 with cases. It does take you down from the ground floor to the restaurant which is below street level Otherwide, to go to the restaurant, the stairs are steep and narrow. There are ground floor rooms available.

Excellent breakfast and a choice of menu at the evening meal, cheerful waiters and waitresses. Travelling to the hotel from the Midlands, our coach broke down at the service station just passed Worcester and we were there for 5 hours whilst another coach was found.On travelling again we hit two separate traffic hold ups, which took 1 hour on each occasion to negotiate. We didn't arrive at the hotel until 9.45 p.m. (12 hour journey), but the staff in the restaurant happily and cheerfully served our 3-course meal. The food was plentiful and nicely presented. Bar in lounge with cheerful service and singer on both nights we were there.

For the price we paid excellent, we were well satisfied with the Ashton Court Hotel. Just Go Holidays, £119, including day visit to Exeter and half day to Dawlish. For the amount of money the hotel received, they provided very good value to their guests.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank blossom085
There are newer reviews for Ashton Court

Reviewed August 7, 2012

This is a nice hotel in an enviable position and if the sun is shining so much the better. The rooms are of a good size and provide everything you need to make a hot drink, tv, hairdryer and a lift to all floors. I stayed there recently on a coach trip with Just Go holidays and although I was disappointed there was no bingo when I was there, the entertainment on 2 of the evenings was quite pleasant. My only real criticism was that the hotel knew I was a vegetarian, but the only option offered to me on the first night was a cheese salad and even the soup option wasn`t vegetarian, but on discovering that I ate fish, I was offered battered fish for my main course and I accepted this. Things improved rapidly after the first night, breakfast option for vegetarians was 2 veggie sausages in place of the bacon and sausage for meat eaters which pleased me as very often the breakfast in hotels I am offered is egg, beans and tomatoes, and there was better choices for evening meals. All in all given the price I paid, I assume the hotel were on a tight budget for supplying meals but they managed to offer sufficient to eat with a good choice of mains and about 6 choices for dessert, which is more than adequate for anybody. I would definitely stay there again, but would bring my own tin of tuna fish with me next time!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank jmtigercrewe
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Small hotel well situated for the town or the sea front. I found the staff very friendly, the service in the dining room was excellent,and the food was very good. Entertainment on three evenings, two of which were really good.
Joyce Watson

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
9  Thank Joyce W
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed as part of a 16 person booking for a football tour on 28th July. The owner was very accommodating to the fact we were a football team on tour and as such due in late on the Saturday night.

The staff were very friendly and flexible with regard to breakfast, not everybody had the full English that comes with the room and instead we were offered bacon sandwiches.

Rooms were clean and all bar one had en suite bathrooms. The prices were the cheapest around Exmouth for B&B and for those looking for a B&B on a budget, this fits the bill.

The town is a 5 minute walk from the hotel and easy to find. There is no off street parking but a few spaces are available in local back streets.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Ross L
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I have recently returned from a 4 day short break to Exmouth with a local coach holiday company where we stayed at the Ashton Court Hotel. My bedroom was on the third floor at the back of the hotel where i had a lovely view over the town. The room was light and airy together with a comfortable bed. The bed sheets and pillow cases were crisp white though i wasn't too keen on the woolen type blankets that were also on the bed. They looked old fashioned and as the weather was hot, it made the bed too warm until i pushed them aside. In this day and age i believe a duvet would be far more acceptable. The room was clean and had a good flat screen television. The reception was fine on most channels except BBC which was problematic because the picture was freezing. However, i didn't use the television a great deal so there was no real problem. There were plenty of tea and coffee sachets in the bedroom together with milk and cream cartons. The bathroom although on the small side was adequate. I did leave a wet bath towel folded and placed on the shower floor on the Saturday morning. Normally by doing this in hotels, the housekeeping staff take the towel away and leave a fresh one. However, it was left in the bathroom for the duration of my stay. Why it wasn't taken away i am not quite sure.

Evening meals in the dining room were reasonable. However, the vegetable combinations were the most un-inspiring i have seen in a long while. For example, leeks and string beans together one night, sweet corn and peas mixed together another night. I never saw a carrot, swede or parsnips for the duration of my stay. I have to say that the roast lamb dinner we had on the Sunday evening was very good and the roast potatoes were very tasty. That was probably the best meal of the three evenings. The steak pie we had one evening, although edible, was so salty it did take the enjoyment of it away. Why so much salt was used in it is a mystery to me! Desserts were not too bad. The trifle on the Saturday evening was the best dessert of the stay.

Breakfast was on the whole ok. I was surprised though when i asked for porridge to be told that they don't do it. Surely that is an absolute breakfast basic. So, i stuck to Rice Krispies instead! The cooked breakfast was good, though the sausages were absolutely disgusting. They seemed to be the cheapest of the cheap, which was a shame as the bacon was lovely. After experiencing the sausages on the first morning, i couldn't face having them again, so i asked for an extra slice of bacon instead which they gladly provided. The dining room staff were friendly and very efficient.

The bar/lounge was a pleasant room. The lady who served behind the bar every evening was always friendly and chatty. There was entertainment on two evenings. I didn't see the first cabaret, however i did see the lady singer on the Sunday evening and she was very good indeed.

The hotel has it's own private gardens across the road. The view from the garden was wonderful and as the weather was so fine i enjoyed sitting there. However, there was not enough seating and the two picnic benches/tables were obviously very old and needed replacing. The garden also needs more care and bedding plants would be nice to create a display. It was obvious to me that only the very minimum of maintenance goes into looking after the garden which is a a shame as it is a great asset to the hotel and in a fantastic position overlooking the sea. They could really make something of this garden if they tried.

To conclude, this hotel is ok for a short break in Exmouth. I would however hesitate in recommending it i have to say, because there are things that need to be improved upon there, for example, some of the food offerings and money needs spending in some parts and on some aspects of this hotel. This could then become a really good hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
9  Thank Coachholidayfan
Reviewed April 30, 2012

i stayed here the weekend of the 27/4/12 and found it to be most satisfactory the rooms were clean food was good only thing i found to be needing attention was the dining room needed cleaning and heating

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank Stephen I
Reviewed April 16, 2012

After a recent 5 day visit it was an eye opener . Worn out bed linen , dirty carpets through out and rooms not cleaned daily . Two nights food awful went out to eat after that . Will not be stopping there again .

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family