“A gorgeous weekend in Devon”

Devoncourt Resort & Apartments
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Exmouth
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This is the perfect place for a mini break. We had the most perfect weekend, the staff are all delightful and made us feel so welcome and relaxed. We arrived at night so the view of the gardens and sea in the morning was a lovely suprise. I would recommend this hotel to all ages and groups. The breakfast was yummy. You should definitely stay for the carvery on sunday - amazing food!

There are newer reviews for Devoncourt Resort & Apartments

Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

After just having returned from my stay at the Devoncourt with my partner and 2 friends I can honestly say that our time spent in this hotel was superb.

The staff were unbelievably friendly, I can only assume that most have been working at the hotel a number of years as they seem expert at making you feel like you are walking into their home rather than a hotel. The manager Andrew specifically made such an effort to talk to me, clearly showing his passion in regard to the devoncourt but also taking a genuine interest in understanding a bit about his guests. Aside from this I witnessed him going out of his way to help an elderly woman around the hotel and talk to her about her requirements and speaking to what I assume must be "regulars" in a consistently friendly and helpful way.

The breakfast consisted of a great choice from continental to a cooked English breakfast and was a very good standard but in terms of food the star of the show is most definitely the Carvery on a Sunday. For £8.95 we had arguably the best roast dinner I have eaten and this is most definitely confirmed by the number of non hotel guests that literally queue out of the door to eat it.

Facilities - the Hotel has a well equipped gym, a sauna, swimming pool, jacuzzi as well as tennis courts which although we didnt use I feel add even more value to your stay.

From earlier reviews I had read, there were comments relating to the lack of modern decor, to an extent these are true but actually you can tell that is not what the devoncourt is all about. It has character, it is clean and most of all it is a place I truly felt relaxed the whole time I was there.

The room we had was spotlessly clean, well equipped (TV, Fridge, hair dryer etc) and well set out. However the real USP of this hotel is the view. Standing out on our balcony of our sea view room was genuinely one of the highlights of our trip to Devon. A stones throw away from the sea, this hotel has no doubt some of the best views I've come across.

Although car parking is slightly limited, you can also park on the road which I found particularly useful as I drive a large car and the car park is quite tight.

In summary the Devoncourt is a friendly, well presented hotel in a fantastic location and I would not hesitate to stay there next time I am in Devon

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights, weather outside awful but nonetheless we all had a fab time. Group of 12, (Mums in their 50'S, daughters & their friends in their 30'S) We stayed in the 2 bedroom apartments & had rooms spread over 3 floors. All had comfy nights sleep. Hotel is not ultra-modern, but.... it is full of character, better than going to a hotel chain where it becomes boring because you know what to expect & where the staff seem to have a script to talk to you with as they all say the same!. Room facilities were excellent, plenty of room, well equipped in kitchen area , bathrooms clean & nice towels. Swimming pool & all the facilities were really good, gym well equipped, didn't use gym as we were all on treat weekend, but music pumping out was fab! Made to feel welcome as soon as we arrived, nothing was too much trouble. Staff sorted out taxi's for us to get to & from Exeter. All in all a wonderful weekend, don't be put off by negative comments, go & try yourself. Thank you to the Manager & all his staff, you are doing a great job & we are already talking about a return trip.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Only one night stay, I can't really fault in to much. The room was clean and had everything that I needed for my stay. The decor is a little dated but not as bad as some people seem to make out on trip adviser.
The staff are very helpful nothing to much trouble.
A great breakfast started at 8.00 the next morning as told by reception on arrival.
My only one gripe was when I had coffee yesterday eve I think it had been super heated just for me,as all the taste had been beaten out of the poor coffee.
On the whole a good stay,and we will be back soon.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

My partner and I stayed for a long weekend and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. As has been mentioned in several other reviews, the staff are without fail friendly, welcoming and helpful - nothing ever seems to be too much trouble.
We were allocated room 18 which is right next to reception and I was initially concerned about noise as there was a wedding (with a disco) going on in the adjacent bar and sun lounge. We were assured that the disco would stop at 1130pm and everyone would be out by midnight (I must admit to some scepticism about that after bad experiences at other hotels), but we had no noise or disturbance at all. The soundproofing must be pretty good as I am a light sleeper!
The breakfast was excellent quality and great value at £8.95 for the full English - far cheaper than most of the chain hotels where you usually get a tired buffet selection. This was freshly prepared and piping hot. Dinner was of equivalent quality and the carvery on Sunday was one of the best we have ever experienced. It was nice to see lots of locals using the restaurant over the weekend - always a good recommendation in my book!
The hotel is a little way out of the town centre but very close to the sea front, with lovely gardens sloping down towards the beach. There are a couple of buses per hour into town and caught one from right outside the hotel to Budleigh Salterton for a lovely walk along the River Otter to Otterton Mill for lunch - a level walk of about five miles for the round trip and highly recommended.
We didn't use the swimming pool or gym this time but they are a great addition to the hotel, especially for longer stays.
Overall, highly recommended.

Room Tip: Do try to get a sea view if you can
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rupert_allison
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed one night & was impressed by the warm friendly staff, who went out of their way to help. I am a coeliac but the Staff had no problem providing me with good food.
The areas I saw were all claan, although my room was in dire need of an upgrade/refurb.

Nevertheless, I shall be booking in again in the summer.

Room Tip: Facing the sea would be better.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Wendy F
Reviewed April 11, 2013

visiting a frend in exmouth we went to the Devoncourt for Sunday lunch this was a carvery there was pleanty of staff around to show you to your table and to attend to all your needs, the food was served nice and hot and very well displayed and tasted as good as it looked. the views were as good as the food it was nice sit and have our meal and looks out to sea and look at the boats and serfers. you may need to book as it is very popular
Gerry

Room Tip: ask for a window yable
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exmouth
Royal Beacon Hotel
#1 of 11 in Exmouth
The Manor Hotel
The Manor Hotel
#9 of 11 in Exmouth

Been to Devoncourt Resort & Apartments? Share your experiences!