“Tasty”

Ranked #39 of 128 Restaurants in Exmouth
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We were decorating for my elderly in-laws and after a busy day we ventured round the corner from where they live for dinner. Although initially the 1810 restaurant was empty we were greeted by a very friendly waiter who showed us to a lovely table in the bay window. The menu offered a great range of dishes that suited us all and when the food arrived we were not disappointed. It was beautifully presented and tasted as good as it looked and good portions. Another couple arrived but the restaurant lacked any atmosphere, possibly needing some music so that people could chat in reasonable privacy. The hotel in general is dated and is in desperate need of updating but does not detract from the fact that it is a lovely, friendly, comfortable hotel with great staff and fabulous views.

1  Thank Jacqui S

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Fantatstic food, warm and friendly service in a beautiful restaurant with amazing views. Over all a superb evening, I totally recommend.

1  Thank Cassie R
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I will say from the beginning that this restaurant is a very short walk from where my elderly parents live hence it was a natural choice for a lunch or dinner with them. When we entered the hotel ( The Royal Beacon ) there was no one to show us where to go and when we found the restaurant we had to stand and wait for quite a while before being noticed and shown to our table.
On the good side the food was ok, pretty standard fare for a seaside town I guess but on the flip side I was completely staggered by the condescending manner of the waiter. Not sure where he thought he was but the Savoy this was not ( and the staff there are so much more professional ) its a tired hotel that needs a serious upgrade as does the restaurant. I do not need to be told by a waiter that I am obviously unfamiliar with a particular dish (simply because I ask if its possible to have it without the sauce) as that's the way it is always served, it felt like this obsequiously oily little waiter was trying to somehow show he was superior , and neither did one of the other diners appreciate the comment that steak is best enjoyed cooked to medium when he had asked for it to be well done. It was almost Faulty Towers like but sadly not in a good way.
The bill was very steep for ok food and really unpleasant service, my tip to this restaurant ( as we did not leave a monetary one ) drop the attitude, drop that terrible waiter and try a little relaxed friendliness, it go's a long way to helping your guests enjoy themselves.

2  Thank Timita
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We have been regular visitors to the 1810 Restaurant at the Royal Beacon Hotel for several years and have always found the food, attentive staff and beautiful restaurant with sea views very acceptable and have often gone there to celebrate special occasions. Our review is based on our overall experience that has, until now, been extremely good.

However, when we telephoned to make a dinner booking for this week we were told very clearly that we could only enjoy our meal in the restaurant if there was sufficient customer demand for the restaurant to be opened - otherwise we would be confined to eating our meal in the Hotel bar!!

We understand that the Hotel may be in administration but nevertheless feel that this is no way to run an upmarket restaurant with an expensive a la carte menu and the sooner it is run properly again, the better, in our view.

4  Thank John T