“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was always our favourite restaurant in town. We have been going to it since the 70's. On Sat evening we went with another couple for the first time in about a year. We had no trouble booking a table even though it was a last minute decision. When we arrived we could see why, the place was almost empty when on a Sat evening it would be jam packed! I guess that didn't help with the atmosphere but the place seems to have lost its cosiness. The menu has been changed which is no bad thing but the prices have gone up quite a bit. I had a fillet steak which came with chunky chips arranged like Jenga and a tomato halved and griddled but still raw. A side salad of rocket and Parmesan shavings completed the dish. While the meal was good it seemed a bit stingy for the price(I know fillet is expensive) but before you would get a selection of veg and a choice of potatoes not just chips. The staff weren't very attentive either. Before they would keep coming to ask if everything was OK or if you needed drinks or anything but nothing on Sat. I suppose because the place is kind of in limbo no one has a vested interest. Another of our party went for the sardines and he was disappointed with them. He was expecting whole crispy sardines not filleted drenched in oil. We enjoyed our evening in each others company and the food was OK but not what we were expecting and sadly we won't be going back unless things change.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We had been to donatos' many times before and were disappointed by the new much smaller menu which is very focused on pasta dishes. The food is expensive for what you get and the side dishes of potatoes, vegetables or salad are very stingy. As an example with the pork escalopes we got 5 half new potatoes and 8 fine green beans. We were quite shocked at how miserly these were in comparison to the main course dishes. There needs to be more veg/salad to go with the main courses. The service was ok, but overall we felt that it had gone downhill and probably won't go back again because we were very disappointed with the value for money.
We felt the desserts were nice and the taste of the food was fine but if they want repeat business they need to be more generous with the side dishes.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Really good restaurant, way above average Italian. Special board is very good whilst service is excellen.Not crammed in like lot of Italian restaurantst

1  Thank ROY C C
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend decided we'd have our first valentines meal at danato's and we were both very satisfied with it! It was very romantic and peaceful, we both really enjoyed our evening. We normally go out and have a meal in a loud sort of atmosphere but it was a nice change. The food was delicious, I see many people complaining about the food here, I suppose it depends on what you have.. But mine and my boyfriends meal was very nice! the only fault that we both had, was the staff (not all) are very boring and lack friendliness, we had 2 waitresses who were extremely rude and just chucked our plates down infront of us and said ''enjoy your meal'' in a dull tone. We'd have no complaints if it wasnt for the 2 young girls attitude towards us. But apart from that, we did really enjoy it here. It was expensive, but was worth it! :)

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We were regulars at Donato's in the past but hadn't been there since it had been taken over. On entering the restaurant there were always boards with specials of the day etc. with a good choice of fish, meat and veggie dishes. Yesterday under the new regime there were only two pathetic choices and I commented that I was hoping for fish and was informed that they ran out of fish at the weekend (this was on Wednesday evening!). We were handed a flimsy bit of paper with the limited choices (mostly chicken or steak) and a few Italian pasta dishes. We were seated at our table and our drinks were brought to us. When our food arrived there were very few vegetables compared to former visits to the restaurant. I had medallions of pork covered with mozzarella and swimming in a red sauce - it seemed as though half a jar of passata had been poured over it. This sauce was overpowering and tasted 'raw' i.e. just poured out of a jar and heated slightly!
Others chose the duck breast, which I am informed didn't have much flavour at all. (This restaurant used to be renowned for its half duck!!) Everyone was disappointed. The desserts were better and I enjoyed my profiteroles.
We weren't asked if we wanted wine with our meal and had to go out of our way to request it.

All in all, we all felt that the place had gone downhill and none of will consider going back there, which is a pity as we have frequented that place over the past 25 years!