“Amazing food, great atmosphere” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Grapevine

The Grapevine
Ranked #16 of 127 Restaurants in Exmouth
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Grapevine is a Pub in the centre of Exmouth, serving local ales, its own brewed beer craft beer and excellent food. We are just off the town centre near the Strand and are family friendly and dog friendly.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Amazing food, great atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

The Grapevine is a real rarity. Amazing food, great atmosphere, good service, fine ales. Real effort has been made to ensure it's understated, relaxed, accessible but very high quality. Great events take place there, always bustling at weekends. Don't go to East Devon and not check out this great pub in Exmouth. We had a lovely meal there and a few pints. We often pop in and it's always a joy.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank JasExmouth

Colchester, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A really good all round honest place to eat and drink.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Me and my wife came down this weekend from Colchester and stayed at a local holiday park near Newton Abbott. We decided to see what Devon had to offer and ventured out and about both days. We went to Crealy adventure park early Sunday morning and left just before lunch and stopped off in Exmouth as it wasn't far away. We stumbled across "The Grapevine ". It was so refreshing to find a pub with such strong links to local produce, and was proud to serve responsibly sourced ingredients like fish, sea food etc. The chef was really knowledgeable and friendly and knew the source of his beef down to a "T" even the organic farm it came from and where it was culled. The staff behind the bar were very friendly also and knew a great deal about the Ales on tap and had obvious ally taken a great deal of time to learn each one.
The service we received was very quick from the moment our order left the bar. When the food arrived it looked like a work of art and my wife and I want to thank the chefs involved with cooking our food as it was sublime and really delicious and cant wait to come back and sample the other delights on offer.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Leon S
Exmouth, United Kingdom
“Wont be going there again...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

It is wonderful that so many people have had a good experience at The Grapevine - good for them. I can safely say that I, being local, have tried it again and again just in case I was wrong (as I am led to believe by other reviews) and I am always left disappointed.

I agree, for a simple drink, its fine but it definitely lacks any atmosphere during the day.

I wasnt impressed with the food on my first visit, neither was my partner when questioned about it (it was not what was expected on the plate..with the exception of chips) we had no apology, no offer to change our food or any kind of customer service.

I visted a second time as part of a group outing (would not have been my first choice!) and I enjoyed a simple drink - with friends and no food it was fine but felt quite dull.

My parents visited and they were keen to try it and pooh poohed my comments that they had seen excellent reviews on trip advisor. They soon agreed that the place was terrible.

We ordered 4 meals, with one starter. My starter didnt come for 45 minutes and when I asked about it, they finally brought me someone elses starter.

I queried it with the waitress who told me that I was in fact wrong and that it was what I ordered - mmm customer service anyone? - anyhow I was adamant that I had not ordered this particular starter and finally after much debate, the bar manager showed her she was wrong by telling her she had the wrong table number.

Neither the manager or the waitress apologised to me. They also didnt apologise to the person whos starter I had been given.

The starter which was tapas style cheese and hummous with bread, I could have nipped to tesco to get for a lower price for more of it! straight out the jar!

My fathers food came another 10 minutes later - by the way, it wasnt even that busy! worst service I have ever had. Nearly an hour for some tapas, a few sandwiches and chips.

My daughter was happy with her cup of tea at least.

I have been in with friends to see a band - the bands are usually all the same - with the same old set lists and the same old (poor) saxaphone solos - it was only ever good when Souled played as they are a little better a calibre of band. We left after the first song of a band called 'jinx' truly awful.

I have given up on it now, Franklins on the Strand is much better and the cocktails are wonderful

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Kinkyschmink
Exmouth, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I wrote a review for The Grapevine a couple of years ago shortly after the opened and to be honest, it wasn’t great. I have since been thoroughly convinced otherwise, the food is excellent, simple dishes done very well sourcing local seasonal produce and a regularly changing menu. The proprietor is always very welcoming and seems to always be there. The beer selection is great, a balance of local ales and premium beers.

At night it turns into a great evening venue, often featuring local bands, it’s a shame they don’t stay open later to be honest.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Aaron_85551673
Dorset
“Atmosphere and location and real ales - spot on!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We ate here on the spur of the moment, they found a table and the food was excellent. The waitress/barmaid was very friendly and the real ale selection was genuinely local. Easy to find from the town centre (adjacent to Lloyds TSB)

• Visited February 2013