TripAdvisor
Exmouth
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews tasting menu michael caines gidleigh park exe estuary wine flight petit fours amuse bouche turbot dining rooms new venture estuary suite michelin star homemade biscuits fire pit valet parking faultless service junior suite
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We celebrated our anniversary at Lympstone and from start to finish the service we received was exemplary.
Our room which had been upgraded to a junior suite was spotless and beautifully decorated with many interesting features. The complementary g and t’s were much appreciated and the views from the room were stunning.
The grounds of the manor are beautifully laid out, we loved the many sculptures we came across and there were many places to just chill and relax
The food was as expected from Michael Caine, amazing and we very much enjoyed the wine tasting with the very knowledgeable sommelier and wine flight with the signature tasting menu.
All the staff we came across were very friendly and helpful
All in all a wonderful place to stay

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
GM_LympstoneManor, General Manager at Lympstone Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Kom123

Lovely to read you had such a special anniversary stay with us here at Lympstone Manor.

We are pleased you liked the upgrade and we do agree G&Ts whilst savouring our views are a must especially when the weather is fine.

Thank you for the kind comments on the staff, Michael's cuisine and of course the Sommelier team will be happy to get a mention as they do love matching wines from our extensive cellar to Michael's food.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed for 2 days having loved his food at Gidleigh Park. This hotel is definitely a work in progress . The service is very uneven . The front staff is friendly and efficient . The serving staff is rather uneven . At breakfast , the blonde server was so surly I was a bit afraid to ask for anything . Please can someone teach her to smile .
We stayed 2 nights . The first we had light dinner in the bar but frankly it was so uncomfortable I have no idea why they thought it possible . The second night we ate the dinner in one of the main dining roooms . The food was delicious but the service was incredibly uneven . Sometimes a course came quickly other times we waited 25 minutes , sometimes the waiter could explain the food other times not . Having said all of that , when we did come down to library / bar before dinner we waited 25 minutes before our drink order was taken or we were acknowledged . This was despite various servers taking other drink requests from people less than a foot away . All we wanted was someone to say “ we will be with you “. I actually asked my partner if we were invisible because that is how we felt for a very long time.
Now to the decor . In a word, it’s hideous and not in keeping with the Relais Chateau brand . Everything is either beige or grey and fairly cheaply done. We had a lovely corner suite but the bedstead was brown velvet and looked like something High Hefner would like in the 60’s and please don’t get me started on the hey sofas. Also the clothes closet wasn’t long enough to hang a dress - frustrating .The rooms are not set up properly - the dressing table had no light , the light switches were on backwards and the bathroom reeked of damp . Also when the light for the loo was on , I could see the marble floor was full of dust bunnies . It was just really really disappointing . I forgot , the shiny gray carpet up to the first floor is just not in keeping - who decorated this place ? _ a blind Towie ? The artwork was fairly gruesome and please don’t get me started on the brown banquets in one of the dining rooms - I’ve seen airport lounges with more charm. I just didn’t want to eat in there . They looked like bumper cars.
I’m sorry if this sounds like I didn’t like it . If I kept my eyes closed , stuck to the food and walked around the grounds it is nice place but Mr Caine’s has his work cut out if he wants to make this place the best boutique hotel in The UK.
Not to end on a sour note the cookies and lemon cake were a nice touch .

Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Leeann T

Dear Leeann T

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Lympstone Manor.

I am sorry to read you felt service was uneven and you felt neglected in the bar area, it is never our intention to give anything less than a warm Devon welcome when people arrive so I do apologise for this.

Obviously the style of the hotel is not to your liking but we are encouraged by your comments on the grounds.

We are also pleased to read you liked the lemon cake and the cookies also

Regards Scott Andrews

Reviewed September 18, 2019 via mobile

This was a real treat for my partner’s birthday. I initially booked because of the Chef’s reputation and because we love to eat at Michelin starred restaurants. The hotel itself was pure luxury and we felt very special when we were picked up from the car park in a golf buggy! Needless to say, we loved the food, the drink, the little touches such as home made biscuits in the room. As the pictures show, the setting was simply beautiful and we really enjoyed walking around the estate down to the river.

Date of stay: November 2018

Dear 529DebbieL

Thank you kindly for taking the time to post a review on Lympstone Manor, we are absolutely thrilled to read your very kind words and happy to know all of our small touches were noticed and appreciated, the team put our guest satisfaction at the heart of everything we do and I know they will be even more motivated once they have read this review.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 15, 2019

A lovely setting, but other than that very disappointing. Very poor service and average food. For example when I asked for more tea it didnt come, i had to literally stand up from my table and go search for a waiter because noone was around to help for at least 10 mins, also very basic things like the waiter didnt know what was in the sandwiches. There were some good bits, like the scones were nice, but the cakes varied from bland to okay and the sandwiches were bog standard. Overall I would not return or recommend it to friends.

Dear Purplemollusc

We are saddened to read that you did not enjoy your experience with us for afternoon tea, we will of course look into all your points and will monitor feedback going forward to ensure the high standard of food and service we are known for is upheld at all times.

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review on us.

Reviewed September 12, 2019

We recently visited for my wife's birthday with our two daughters. The staff were attentive, nothing was too much trouble, and we were made to feel special from the moment we pulled up in the car park. The location is tremendous with first rate views over the Estuary and well kept grounds. We stayed in two Estuary rooms that were well equipped, including a great shower and an outside bathtub. We were attracted by the food which was brilliant, we had the signature tasting menu,but what will stay with me is the overall ambience, excellent staff and the feeling of occasion. A wonderful experience that hopefully we will repeat.

Date of stay: September 2019
GM_LympstoneManor, General Manager at Lympstone Manor, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2019

Dear basia5784

Thank you kindly for taking the time to post a review on Lympstone Manor, it was a pleasure to have you and your family with us to celebrate your wife's birthday, your very lovely words are much appreciated, we are just so pleased to read you enjoyed your time with us, thank you also for the mention of our team, they will be pleased.

We hope to welcome you all back in the future.

Kindest Regards Scott Andrews