“best in the west”
Review of Saveur

Saveur
Ranked #2 of 128 Restaurants in Exmouth
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Saveur is a multiple award winning, fine dining restaurant.Coast and country are reflected in a balanced measure using high quality ingredients assuring seasonality plays a prominent role in Nigel's menu.
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Was a bit nervous having seen that this restaurant had such fantastic reviews and a very negative one most recently--all i can say is the last reviewers were so far away from the truth it was scary --Brilliant fish soup whilst the other starters were equally impressive and full of excellent flavours and texture--The mains were all first class and my lamb was beautiful and tender.Accepted the vegtables were what they were but the meat and layered potatoes were exquisite and that is what you are aiming for aren't you?-The last reviewer made a big mistake by avoiding the desserts , as they were all fabulous with a rich delicious chocolate mousse and floating Islands cooked to perfection.Service was great and all i can say to other users of this forum should best ignore the previous review as to miss the opportunity to vist this resturant would be a crime!Ddavid brown London

There are newer reviews for Saveur

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I was visiting friends and as a treat was taken out for dinner here and had the most fantastic time. Lovely atmosphere and amazing service in what seems to be a busy family run restaurant.

I had the prawns (the sauce was absolutely delicious), and although the restaurant is know for seafood I decided to have the rump of lamp which was perfectly cooked and tender which was complemented with a beautiful rich sauce.

I was recommended the snow eggs as a light dessert by our waiter which was a perfect way to finish along with an perfectly executed calypso coffee!

The restaurant itself is understated French chic which lets the food do all the talking. A final touch was the head chef, who went round the tables after service had finished, chatting to everyone which added a personal touch and made everyone feel very special.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Given the good reviews we'd read, we expected a really nice meal. We were disappointed by the food and the attitude of one of the people serving.

On arrival, the lady who greeted us, and went on to serve us, was pleasant and competent. She clearly cared about what we thought.

I chose the mediterranean seafood soup as my starter. It was good, a classic dish done well.

The good news didn't continue when I got to my main course. I had the only special we were offered, which was hake. Underneath the hake, which was a touch overcooked, was a circle of mashed potatoes with some stir fried samphire, surrounded by a sauce.

I can't actually remember anything about the sauce as there wasn't anything remarkable about it. The mashed potatoes were under seasoned.

There were three of us dining. The side vegetables were served on a crescent dish. It looked as if it was a serving for one, but it was for all three of us. We were told by the male waiter that 'we could have more if we wanted', in a tone that suggested we would be unreasonable to ask for more.

There was overcooked green broccoli, overcooked sliced carrots, and some cauliflower. The vegetables appeared to have been steamed, and there wasn't any detectable seasoning. If all you're going to do is steam vegetables, and I have no problem with that, then at least make sure they're the right texture.

One of our party had rump of lamb. When ordering, the male waiter said 'it comes pink, you know', as if that was a novelty. When it came, it clearly wasn't pink. It proved to be tough and gristly. I pointed this out to the waiter. He gave a patronising lecture on why we should expect a rump of lamb to contain tough sinew, and disappeared. On his return, he said that we wouldn't be charged for the lamb, without being at all apologetic. Someone in the kitchen had clearly disagreed with the waiter's opinion that we should have expected the dish to be poor, in which case an apology would have been appropriate.

I didn't bother with dessert, as I wasn't confident that I'd enjoy it.

The standard of the cooking was average to below-average, and the service varied from polite and attentive - the lady - to patronising and insulting - the young man.

All in all, it was a disappointing meal. We enjoyed the meal across the alleyway at Michael's, the previous evening, much more.

6  Thank Matthew G
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was so looking forward to this meal, sadly my expectations were not met either by the food served and especially by the poor, patronising service. This was a Friday night, the restaurant was busy but not full; there were only two people meeting and greeting and serving. For me it was the lack of service and hospitality that let this restaurant down more than the food.

I observed more than acceptable waiting times for tables to be served, whilst the one waiter for the table rushed back to the kitchen for the remaining plates of food. For a lunch time cafe you can get away with it, but not a restaurant of this caliber. I observed a conversation with the male waiter to an adjoining table to ours that was the most pretentious twaddle. A poor lesson in how to treat your guests, but then this young man did not treat us as paying guests. No rapport, no hospitality skills.

The food was good, but not exceptional. I had scollops. They were beautifully cooked and the pea sauce was perfect. My daughter had muscles. She enjoyed them. I thought the sauce dominated the flavour of the muscles. For my mains my fish was slightly overcooked, the mash was under seasoned, and the shared vegetables were overcooked - think local pub grub on a Sunday lunch. The waiter didn't place the vegetables in, or near to, the centre of our table, nor did he explain they were to be shared. He almost dropped them at one corner on his way to the next table. Very poor. Presentation poor. I left half of the fish and the mash. I noticed a diner on the table opposite me also left his fish and mash.

My daughter had lamb. When ordering it she was advised that it was served very pink in a way that I can only describe as patronising. As if guests, from Exmouth or father afield do not understand the term 'pink lamb'. When the lamb arrived, it wasn't patronisingly pink. It was also very fatty, tough with bits of gristle. My daughter left it. She didn't complain - she simply left it on her plate. The waiter, when clearing away our plates, asked if we had enjoyed our meal. She said yes except for the lamb. He then proceeded to give her a lecture on rump of lamb and how it should be cooked. His behaviour was insulting. My husband intervened and explained the obvious. The waiter removed the plates without speaking and without apology. He returned several minutes later and said we would not be paying for the lamb, again without apology, but in a tone that implied we had done this on purpose so as not to pay. It was appalling. In trying to redeem something from this meal I had a pudding. I chose a pudding the waitress had recommended as a signature dish involving meringue (snowballs). It looked like two white weetabix in a cereal bowl and served with as much grace. Presentation poor. It was accompanied by a sauce anglaise - but I felt the sauce and meringue did not taste well together - there was no balance.
A disappointing meal that did not meet expectations.

I do not write poor reviews gladly given the influence they can have on readers and it has saddened me to write this one. We had this meal on Friday and I have waited three days to write it, meanwhile experiencing other Exmouth eateries. My feelings have not changed. The food was not exceptional, the presentation was average and the service was the worst I have experienced.

6  Thank Penny G
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I recently and here with my partner for an evening out, and what an amazing evening it was. Fresh scallops, amazingly cooked lamb with a fantastic sauce and extreamly friendly and professional staff. My idea of heaven 5 will definitely be coming back again soon.

1  Thank epicmeattime