“Good - expensive though!”
Review of Tarr Farm Inn

Tarr Farm Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Tarr Steps B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 15, 2009

We stayed at Tarr fram as part of a shooting party. An excellent time was had by all. The best things about Tarr Farm are:

1) Location - truely beautiful
2) Food - delicious
3) 'Little extras' people have referred to, Including a gun safe in each room, this is big time shooting country!
4) Cosy atmoshere

Bedrooms were OK, ours was a little small and decor with a dressing table slightly dated as was the bathroom, I probably wouldn't mention this but I though it was rather expensive (dinner, b&b for each couple was 235).

I guess its supply and demand and this place does style itself as a 'shooting lodge'. I'd think of it more as an excellent country restaurant in a glorious setting with rooms.

Dinner was good though!

• Stayed: September 2009

Reviewed September 11, 2009

We held our wedding reception here and it was absolutely perfect. I am not sure that I can put into words how we feel about our day here.
From the word go, the staff at Tarr Farm Inn made us feel very special and they were very organised.
The location is idyllic. Every time I stepped out of the Inn, I was hit by the beauty of the surroundings. Inside, the Inn is extremely quaint, but tastefully decorated.
The food at the reception was amazing. I can not believe how big the portions were and it was good food. The fact that they managed to cook for fifty people and the food was so scrummy speaks volumes.
We stayed over night at the Inn and the rooms were lovely. I especially recommend the homemade biscuits and the real milk in the fridge!
So I can not wait till our next visit there! I totally recommend this place!

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed May 23, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for one night and loved the long picturesque drive down to Tarr Steps. Tarr Farm is a real country retreat an emersion into country life - a hunting shooting and fishing sort of place, and an excellent venue to relax and unwind. The room was lovely, clean and had super views, was well equipped with wifi in the room. The bathroom had lovely toiletries and had a handy basket of "things we might have forgotten to bring". The staff and owner were very friendly and we felt very relaxed and at home. In the evening we ate at the Inn - the food was superb, with a good choice on the wine list, as was the breakfast the next morning. The smoked haddock and poached eggs were spot on! The next day we did the walk through the woods from Tarr Steps. The Inn does lunches and cream teas and my only regret is that we only stayed one night.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2009

We stayed at Tarr Farm for a birthday celebration and from the moment we drove through the river (only in a jeep) to the moment we left we had the most wonderful time.

The staff were so friendly and made us feel like it was our own home. This hotel is a gem in the middle of the moors, and hopefully wont be spoilt.

With only 9 superb rooms you really can get away from it all and enjoy.... in piece and quiet with the sounds of the birds and the river in the back ground. The bed was out of this world cumffy.

Ouu room was beautiful with everything in it that you could possibly ever need! views over the fields, sheep just out side the window, lush toiletries...... it really is a home from home with a bit of shique thrown in for good measure.

The food was wonderful, have the stake it was like velvet, the breakfast was amazing too and all locally sourced produce to boot.

A must would be to take the walks, just follow the paths you wont get lost on any of them the views are out of this world, even to watch the bad weather roll in. Look forward to the tea, sconnes & clotted cream.

You will have a great time.

Enjoy.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrMrsOconnor
Reviewed June 25, 2008

I was put in charge of organising a girls 'get together' weekend, free from husbands, partners and children. Scrolling the internet I came accross Tarr Farm on a search engine having decided Exmoor was the area to spend a couple of nights. It was fate, Tarr Farm had a "Fitness and Pamper" special offer on for the weekend. I booked immediately.

We arrived early Friday evening and had drinks on the terrace. They had organised for us to walk along the banks of the River Barle to their sister hotel, the Royal Oak Inn at Withypool. This took little over the hour. We had a superb dinner at the Oak and after were taken back to Tarr Farm where a candle lit bathroom was waiting for us along with a hot bath with aromotherapy oils - Bliss.

After a delicious breakfast, (I had chosen a detoxing smoothie, poached eggs with smoked haddock) we were given the choice of either walking, cycling or horse riding. Whatever we chose we were to all meet up at lunchtime for a suptious picnic. It was amazing. The setting was out of this world. Two of us decided to walk and what was lovely was that Judy, the proprietor came along too. The other two in our group chose to cycle. By the time we returned back to the hotel tired and aching (a bit!) from all the fresh air, three fully trained people in Thai massage were waiting to do a treatment on us privately in our own room. That evening we enjoyed a wonderful dinner and a much needed bottle of wine.

The following morning after a long lie in and a leisurely breakfast we reluctantly checked out. I can see why they have been awarded 5 stars.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 10, 2008

Tarr Farm is situated directly at Tarr Steps, Exmoor. It is a lovely spot and the hotel has many excellent features and the surrounding area is beautiful.
The bar and resturant are really well maintained and tastefully decorated. We have now eaten from both the bar menu and the resturant menu and both are excellent. After a good days walking on the moor I would also recommend one of their Cream Teas. All of the food here is of an excellent standard and locally sourced. Breakfast is also super.
The rooms are all facing the lovely views outside and have a little porch outside for coats and boots ( really helpful ) Decor is again very tasteful with hue comfy beds and a fab bathroom which is finished to a high standard ( a bath and a shower !!). In fact the room conatins everything you would need for a weekend away even tasty treats homemade from the kitchen. There is plenty of cupboard space if you are planning a longer stay. Linen is also of a high standard.
For those who shoot the room has a gun cabinet and dogs are allowed in your room. If you have working dogs there are also kennels.
This is a really good hotel and we had a great stay, both we and our friends and two spaniels love this area and hotel and will be back. The staff are friendly and the management welcoming and hospitable. Many Thanks for a great weekend and we hope to return soon.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 1, 2008

Stayed here for one night in December, 2007. Somewhat difficult to find, even with sat nav, but not the fault of the B&B, just the circuitous moor roads and lanes.

Dark when we arrived, but could tell the location was terrific. Left our bags in the car as instructed and had pleasant check in from lady in the bar (a sign in the small reception area directed us). I think we were the only guests and were given Room #1. Good size with spacious bathroom. Nicely decorated in taupe and cream. Only one light bulb out. Usual TV, plus VCR/DVD player and we were told there was Internet access in the room. Tea and coffee tray, with fresh milk in fridge.

Separate shower and bath with very good towels. Excellent lighting. As noted by another reviewer, an interesting little basket of "extras". I guess someone would appreciate nail polish remover! Liquid bath gel, conditioner and body lotion in good, large containers, but all scented with lavender. And enough lavender is enough! Polite notice requesting that we only keep the light on in the bathroom when using it as the automatic fan disturbs the upstairs room.

Good wine list from the bar - reasonably priced and thoughtfully chosen. We ate in the small, comfy restaurant. Good service. We shared a somewhat dry but very tasty game pate. My husband had a good steak with crispy chips and I had fennel risotto which was just creamy enough.

Very comfortable bed overnight and the bedlinen was of a high standard. Can't remember if there was an alarm clock, but think that there was.

Breakfast was served when we required it and very nicely presented. I was surprised that the cereals were all in packets. Alpen is not particularly appealing in a place of this standard. As noted in other reviews, a white and a granary loaf provided for us - being picky, this was somewhat unnecessary as we were the only guests. Excitement provided when I made toast and set off the smoke alarm. My poached eggs were terrific - just runny enough, and the sausages etc. were of high quality.

Overall, an excellent establishment, with rooms, food and service of a very high standard. Only real downside was the price of £150 per night. Most of the other pubs/B&Bs in the area charge between £75 and £120 per night. It was probably worth it, but I would rather keep a few more pounds in my wallet.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Simonsbath
The Royal Oak Inn
The Royal Oak Inn
#1 of 2 in Withypool

Been to Tarr Farm Inn? Share your experiences!