“Long Weekend in Exmoor”
Review of Exmoor Forest Inn

Exmoor Forest Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Simonsbath B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Very hard to fault since every aspect was excellent! The food was superb and with a varied menu, really, really nice Old Rosie cider, the bed was huge and very comfy, there was plenty of space in the room for us and our dog, masses of walking routes on the doorstep, stunning scenery and exceptionally friendly staff. And their dogs were cute too! The only negative that we can think of would be that it would have been great to have had a shower cubicle/shower over the bath rather than a tap mixer, but nonetheless the room facilities were still very good. Highly recommended, we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SAS178

Reviewed October 20, 2013

wow ,a great pint of exmoor ale, and roast beef lunch.home made yorkshire puds,a great selection of vegtables,goose fat roast potatoes,and lashings of the best gravy ever.
if you have a need for sunday lunch go here.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

My wife and I decided to have a few days away before winter sets in. As we have had breaks in most of the UK including South Devon but only once in Exmoor area we decided on the Exmoor Forest Inn. The area is truly stunning, the owners of the Inn, staff and dogs were really welcoming. The food was exceptionally good for an Inn and of good proportion. My only complaint was that they ran out of export lager on our last day.
We will be returning next year.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Just got back from staying here, cannot fault anything, great family run Inn. Food was better than normal Pub Fare, it was excelent, one of the best if not the best Inn's we have stayed at in GB.
This is a great place as a base if you like hiking, there are many footpaths in the area, the car can stay in the car park, we encountered Red Deer twice once only 60Mts ahead of us, something special at this time of year, stag antlers at their best.

Room Tip: Ask for the double upgrade on second floor
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I have stayed off and on at The Exmoor Forest Inn over the last 25 years, so I have seen changes, but it remains on old favourite.

I had no hesitation in choosing the Inn for an overnight stay in September, as I knew I would be served an excellent dinner in the bar, be able to have a good night's sleep in a comfortable bedroom, and receive a reliable breakfast. The Inn did not disappoint me with these.

One word of warning though; some dinners are smaller than others, and my pigeon starter, sea trout main course and pudding of a chocolate mousse, while excellent could all have been more generous in size. I do not have a large appetite, but I reckon to be well filled after three courses.

The greatest shame about the Inn is that the residents' sitting room, which was so homely, warm and comfortable under former owners, these days is stark, coldly lit and not at all inviting. An inn in the middle of Exmoor, where one spends exhausting days in the open, really does need a cosseting sitting room where one can talk to other guests or just dose, To be in convivial surroundings I would rather not have to spend my evening on a hard bar chair or have to retire to my bedroom for comfort. Additionally, the dining room, where breakfast is served these days, used to be well furnished, cosy and a pleasure to go in, but it suffers in much the same way as the sitting room, alas. It is for these reasons that I have rated the Inn as average.

Service is friendly and efficient.

I'll stay again.

Tim Newman

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Tim N
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Lovely room, décor was lovely and very, very clean. Nice touch with a bottle of water and toiletries in the room. The food was excellent and the breakfast was delicious. Certainly very good value for. A good base and would stay there again without hesitation

Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I spent just one night here, we wish we could have stayed longer. The staff, restaurant, room was excellent. Will be back one day, we can certainly recommend this Inn. We went for a lovely walk just down the road from the Inn. We walked to Cow castle and up through the woods until we reached Pick Stone farm, then back to the car. The scenery was stunning and our trip to Exmoor was complete when we spotted Deer in the Valley.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Simonsbath
Dunster Castle Hotel
Exmoor White Horse Inn
Yarn Market Hotel
Yarn Market Hotel
#3 of 3 in Dunster

Been to Exmoor Forest Inn? Share your experiences!