“A great place to escape to”
Review of Exmoor Forest Inn

Exmoor Forest Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Simonsbath B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 28, 2011

My Dad and I spent a great couple of days at the Exmoor Forest Inn in Oct 2010 and enjoyed it so much we're very keen to return.
As my father is a keen fisherman and I love being outdoors the abundant nature and stunning scenery suited us both and is really one of the advantages of the very remote location.
The Inn accommodation is clean, well kept, and has everything you'd need; comfy beds, coffee & tea facilities, TV and a great little shower bathroom.
The breakfast is hearty and they prepared us lovely sandwiches and were quite happy to fill our flasks for our day on the moors.
The evening menu is what a notch up from typical pub food, and the roasts were very good. We made ourselves very snug in the bar each evening and enjoyed the warm atmosphere and friendly service.
We've absolutely no regrets and as I said, are very much looking forward to getting back there.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank kris10Paris_France

Reviewed October 16, 2011

Good menu, great food but rhubarb and ginger crumble a bit overpowering. Not too expensive. Good service and friendly.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Pam B
Reviewed October 12, 2011

We were lucky enough to stop here on a sponsored walk over Exmoor. The hospitality was excellent, the atmosphere was welcoming and the home-cooked food was delicious. We will certainly return for another hearty Exmoor welcome!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Faye C
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We were there on our trip through Exmoor Forrest. Room was nice, clean and comfortable, price was 70 pounds for one night. We had some very good diner there, good, rustic food. The breakfast was very good, with a good choise of jam and even honey!
The owner was very kind and helpfull.

So if you enjoy a stay in natur and beautiful environment, this is the right place!
But beware, there is nothing else arround, no supermarket or anything else .. just trees ;)

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kerstin K
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I rarely leave a bad review and can see other people had a lovely experience but unfortunately both I and my partner were not very happy with our food.I had a hake masala which was slice of fish including backbone in a masala sauce in a high bowl with a separate small side dish with a mound of rice .Not easy to eat, and was raw in places .I pointed this out to the waiter who took it away to be cooked a bit more returning it saying it could have been the light!my parner had a whole place .He ate the first side and turned it over and found it had been cooked and served with the stomach still attached.We were tired and I didn't want to complain again.Perhaps one of their chefs is inexperienced with fish or we were just unlucky.Beer was good though

Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FalmouthLucy
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Visited on a Sunday evening fo a meal, so can not comment on the rooms. The bar consists of lots of small areas filled with old agricultural implements. Clean with lots of country charm . Had great roast lamb with the best gravy ever. Vegetables were beautifully cooked although the portions were a bit small. Superb, large portion of Sticky Toffee Pudding. Good quality icecream, but £4.25 for 3 small scoops with a large pocket of air in the middle of each scoop is a bit steep. A well-stocked bar with good choice of real ales.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alfredston
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed here for one night during a cycling trip around Exmoor. Once we had found a member of staff we were shown to our large room on the second floor. It had plenty of storage space and a lovely large bed. The large bathroom sadly only had a shower - after 20 miles of hilly cycling i would have loved a long soak in the bath! After relaxing and recovering we went for a short walk, enjoyed a drink in the bar and then had a rest before dinner. The computer that residents have use of was very slow and the web browser not up to date enough for me to view my emails. Wifi is available but not reliable. I finally managed to log on using my phone, but not the laptop we had brought...
The bar was busy for food - not suprisingly ! We had a varied choice and were happy with the wine and food we chose.
As we had been booked on a cycling trip it would have been nice to be somewhere where there was dedicated bike storage - having said this we were alllowed to leave our bikes in the skittle alley, so after the nights rain the saddles were dry!
Finally the bed. It was soft and sooo comfortable. My best nights sleep ever!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VikkiHB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Simonsbath
Simonsbath House
Kentisbury Grange
Kentisbury Grange
#1 of 1 in Kentisbury
The Crown Hotel, Exford

Been to Exmoor Forest Inn? Share your experiences!