“Superb location for stunning scenery. A really lovely place to stay.”
Review of The Hunters Inn

The Hunters Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Martinhoe B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 27, 2010

We have just returned from a fantastic weekend in North Devon with our Golden Retriever. The hotel was in a superb location and within easy reach of the sea and stunning costal paths. The staff were always friendly and attentive and the rooms were spacious and good value. The food was delicious and plentiful. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 14, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights in October 2010.
Arriving late on a Thursday evening, we had a really nice meal (pork belly was divine) but the restaurant lacked atmosphere which was due to the very bright lights and the fact that the restaurant is currently been redecorated. It wasn't a major issue though and the service more than made up for it. All the staff was helpful and really sweet.
We were staying in Room Nr. 2 which looks exactly like the picture on the website. The bathroom is nice but the shower cubical is really small (I don't think if you're heavily pregnant that you'd be able to close the door actually).
The location is brilliant and has great access to South West Coast Path.
We were in Devon and Cornwall for a week and stayed in equally nice b&b's but the Hunters Inn was the most expensive. Having said that - we will come back nevertheless because of the location and the overall package & if I could give 6 stars for service, I would.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2010

My wife and I have stayed at The Hunters Inn on numerous occasions now. We have always thoroughly enjoyed staying at this lovely hotel. It is a magical setting in many respects and we are always happy to go back and see how much it improves year after year. We first stayed at the Inn in July 2007 and got to chatting to the owner David and learnt of his plans to make improvements to the Inn. We thoroughly enjoyed that stay but each time we go back it is great to see someone with a passion for a place and this shows in how much time, effort and money is obviously being invested in this lovely old Inn. The food is fantastic and a nice pint or two of the Exmoor ales is always a pleasurable experience. We shall definitely be returning and I would have no hesitation in recommending this place for a short break or longer holiday. It really is a fabulous location from which to explore by car or on foot. Having read some of the reviewers that had a negative comment to make I would just say that one only needs to raise the issue at the time. David or one of his team will be sure to put things right. With so much investment in the place they want customers to have the best experience they can and I can vouch for this as a very satisfied customer. I wish the Inn all the best and hope this short review encourages you to give it a try. It's a wonderful place!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2010

The Hunters sits perfectly to eat and drink whilst walking the fantastic coast line. Friendly staff but the crab sandwich spoke for a bad day at the pub. Plastic bread, something like crab paste smeared on and a few bits of salad. How can we get this wrong in Devon? The loos had not had attention for a day or two. We will walk past next time.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DSA948
DavidOrton, Owner at The Hunters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2010

I am very sorry that you did not find your sandwich was not up to your expectations.
The bread is always fresh, the crab meat was fresh and is a 50:50 mix of white and dark meat, and certainly is not crab paste.

The toilets are old and are beyond there best before date; however they are cleaned at least twice a day, and i can only suggest that as it was a very wet day the floors may have been muddy due to the high number of visitors we had that day.

We are currently installing new toilets in the new extension, these should be open within the next three weeks doubling our current capacity.

Reviewed September 25, 2010

I had my wedding reception at the hunters inn on the 18th of September and it was fantastic.
The location is one of the most beautiful places I’ve been, The food was some of the best I’ve ever eaten and the staff were really friendly and helped me relax on the big day.

All my family and friends share the same views. The rooms are large with lots of character and charm and amazing views of the surrounding valley.
The garden is huge and leads rights onto a beach about a mile walk down.
It was everything i could ever ask for and i hope to return very soon. I have traveled around most of north devon but this place has it all.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2010

This is an old established pub/hotel in a brilliant location in a beautiful wooded valley near the coast on Exmoor. The relativley new owner has already made improvements and has more planned. He is very much in evidence to welcome and chat to guests and quickly makes you feel you are visitng friends not just another punter.
Good points - relaxed atmospher, hepful and accommodating servie, imaginative and varied dinner menue, lush gardens and pleasant walk (20minutes) down to secluded bay (we saw a seal there); Live entertainment (trad jazz on our visit) and connections to local community.
Could do better - Breakfast was well cooked English but very limited continental options; sound insultation in rooms was not good - but in an old building you have to expect that.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Walked from Lynmouth to the Hunters Inn along the South west Footpath, carrying full packs. Hot, damp, muddy, tired and footsore on arrival..I'm surpised they let us in!

Friendly warm welcome from young staff who couldn't do enough for us, a beautifully decorated and furnished room. Luxury bath products soon soaked away the aches and pains and views to die for.

Dinner included in the price and we enjoyed a fantastic 3 courses of beautifully cooked and presented food. Dining room overlooks the gardens with lovely trees and even a peacock!

My tomato soup was the best I have tried and 2 different fresh rolls with it, I must have looked hungry! Husband tried the slow roast belly of pork which had crackling, yet was succulent and huge. I had the Exmoor steak, done exactly as asked for. The crumble and ice cream pud just beat me though. My head was on the table with all the walking fresh air and food. Slept like a log. Wish we had more time to explore this valley, will definetly be returning.

It looks like a lot of money has been spent on this hotel and combined with the lovely staff this will be a real 'destination' hotel.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fredi426
Also consider these accommodations in or near Martinhoe
The Old Rectory Hotel
#3 of 5 in Lynmouth
Rock House Hotel
Rock House Hotel
#5 of 5 in Lynmouth

Been to The Hunters Inn? Share your experiences!