“Wedding Bliss”

Ranked #2 of 2 Martinhoe B&B and Inns
London
“Wedding Bliss”
Reviewed September 25, 2010

I had my wedding reception at the hunters inn on the 18th of September and it was fantastic.
The location is one of the most beautiful places I’ve been, The food was some of the best I’ve ever eaten and the staff were really friendly and helped me relax on the big day.

All my family and friends share the same views. The rooms are large with lots of character and charm and amazing views of the surrounding valley.
The garden is huge and leads rights onto a beach about a mile walk down.
It was everything i could ever ask for and i hope to return very soon. I have traveled around most of north devon but this place has it all.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Hungarian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2010

This is an old established pub/hotel in a brilliant location in a beautiful wooded valley near the coast on Exmoor. The relativley new owner has already made improvements and has more planned. He is very much in evidence to welcome and chat to guests and quickly makes you feel you are visitng friends not just another punter.
Good points - relaxed atmospher, hepful and accommodating servie, imaginative and varied dinner menue, lush gardens and pleasant walk (20minutes) down to secluded bay (we saw a seal there); Live entertainment (trad jazz on our visit) and connections to local community.
Could do better - Breakfast was well cooked English but very limited continental options; sound insultation in rooms was not good - but in an old building you have to expect that.

Leatherhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Walked from Lynmouth to the Hunters Inn along the South west Footpath, carrying full packs. Hot, damp, muddy, tired and footsore on arrival..I'm surpised they let us in!

Friendly warm welcome from young staff who couldn't do enough for us, a beautifully decorated and furnished room. Luxury bath products soon soaked away the aches and pains and views to die for.

Dinner included in the price and we enjoyed a fantastic 3 courses of beautifully cooked and presented food. Dining room overlooks the gardens with lovely trees and even a peacock!

My tomato soup was the best I have tried and 2 different fresh rolls with it, I must have looked hungry! Husband tried the slow roast belly of pork which had crackling, yet was succulent and huge. I had the Exmoor steak, done exactly as asked for. The crumble and ice cream pud just beat me though. My head was on the table with all the walking fresh air and food. Slept like a log. Wish we had more time to explore this valley, will definetly be returning.

It looks like a lot of money has been spent on this hotel and combined with the lovely staff this will be a real 'destination' hotel.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fredi426
Cradley Heath
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I think this was our 5th visit our first being our honeymoon 25 years ago. On our subsequent visits upto this one we felt the place was slipping away, but not now !
What a change Dave & his team have brought about. The picture windows in the eating area have to be seen to be belived - What a veiw. Food & service truly match the location.
OK the age of the building does show in some areas, but this is not meant to be a modern sterile hotel that would spoil the charm.
Just chat with Dave about his future plans for the place his enthusiasm for the Hotel & it's place in the local comunity is straight from the heart.
We will definatley be back, may be for our 30th when we should be able to see more changes.

Milford
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Just like to say that I really wish the new owner (David I think it is) the best of luck, he's doing a grand job and making a very tired old place into a very nice place indeed.

We stayed there last weekend having arrived on the off chance of getting a room and happily there was one left, it was not quite finished and described as 'mid refurb' but very acceptable being brand new, having a super shower and in general, very comfy with a stunning view.

The food was fine too, very well cooked and seasonal.

Worth the trip and good value.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2010

Chatty, friendly and interested, the staff at the Hunter's Inn greeted me with a warm smile and a genuine desire to please. The location and look of the building do not disappoint, it is a real hunting lodge, which when walking for a long day you come upon like an oasis. Hidden in the Heddon valley, it has the appearance that it has been put there just for you! I was shown to a lovely four poster room, which over looked the valley and wonderful newly landscaped gardens, from which I could see the hotel's peacock strutting it's stuff. My bag which I had sent on earlier was waiting in my room and there were lovely towels and soaps beautifully arranged on the bed, all was done with a touch of care. The bathroom was a little dated, but I understand from the staff that the owners are updating these, it would be a good investment in a wonderful property. The rooms were very quiet indeed, with good television reception (despite the valley) and clean, neat coffee making equipment. I ate in the bar with my dog (the restaurant does not allow dogs if you prefer sans canine) and the food and welcome were again notable. The service was detailed with regard to the menu, explaining the origin of the food (local sea food and meats) and wines; all was well presented and very tasty indeed. The young girls serving were confident and happy in their work, chatty and polite. Great country music followed by local musicians, who gather in the bar - a real treat! A quiet sleep in a great bed was followed by a wonderful breakfast and happy, attentive check out service. My bag was carried for me and they knew all about the onward transport for it to my next destination. There are more improvements being made to this fabulous Inn, the current restaurant is being turned into a lounge for guests and a new restaurant will overlook the valley and gardens through big windows, in a light and open space - it's going to be great - I will certainly go back some time. The walking nearby is divine, on the SW Coastal Path, in a valley, but 10 mins gentle stroll to the beach and a restored lime kilm. I stay in a vast number of hotels and do not give praise easily, don't expect the Rtiz, that is not what I am describing, it is an old hunting lodge and is made more than that by a great location and equally good service!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank rafharris
England
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Edwardian half timbered country inn one mile from the sea in glorious isolation. Used by freindly locals, passing hikers and devotees. Recently sympathetically restored with modern amenities it retains its dream like character. Nice gardens with lawns, ponds and a stream that goes down to a "smugglers cove" - the gardener even looks like a pirate!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Martinhoe
Rock House Hotel
#7 of 9 in Lynton
Blue Ball Inn
Blue Ball Inn
#1 of 2 in Countisbury

Been to The Hunters Inn? Share your experiences!