I arrived for lunch shortly after midday on a Monday when there were maybe 3-4 couples already seated inside. As it was a gloriously sunny autumn day I let the staff know that I was going to sit out on the terrace to take advantage of the weather and the beautiful setting. My coffee arrived about 5-10 minutes later but it took about half an hour for my burger and chips to materialise. On setting down my plate the waitress said "don't worry we haven't forgotten about you". Given the delay, it would have been more reassuring had she told me this about a quarter of an hour earlier as I was just about to go in and cancel my order, as I literally had a plane to catch later that afternoon, when my food appeared.
The bacon and cheese burger came with a leafy side salad, salsa and chips and was enjoyable if a little pricey for what it is - £10.95.
I will have happy memories of my visit due to the lovely 5-6 mile circular walk along the coast that worked up my appetite and basking in the autumn sunshine on the terrace. However, the service was a let down. Maybe they're better geared up for quicker service on weekends and during the main tourist season? If not, I dread to think how long the wait would be.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hunters Inn pub is blessed with the most magical setting, tucked at the bottom of the exquisitely beautiful Heddon Valley on Exmoor. The narrow road from the moor descends beneath a canopy of ancient trees. Sun-dappled leaves glitter and gleam. The river runs past the inn and a short walk takes you to the beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your The Hunters Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Hunters` Hotel Exmoor National Park
- The Hunters Inn Martinhoe, Devon