“Let down by slow service”
Review of The Hunters Inn

The Hunters Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Martinhoe B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I arrived for lunch shortly after midday on a Monday when there were maybe 3-4 couples already seated inside. As it was a gloriously sunny autumn day I let the staff know that I was going to sit out on the terrace to take advantage of the weather and the beautiful setting. My coffee arrived about 5-10 minutes later but it took about half an hour for my burger and chips to materialise. On setting down my plate the waitress said "don't worry we haven't forgotten about you". Given the delay, it would have been more reassuring had she told me this about a quarter of an hour earlier as I was just about to go in and cancel my order, as I literally had a plane to catch later that afternoon, when my food appeared.

The bacon and cheese burger came with a leafy side salad, salsa and chips and was enjoyable if a little pricey for what it is - £10.95.

I will have happy memories of my visit due to the lovely 5-6 mile circular walk along the coast that worked up my appetite and basking in the autumn sunshine on the terrace. However, the service was a let down. Maybe they're better geared up for quicker service on weekends and during the main tourist season? If not, I dread to think how long the wait would be.

1  Thank Sunnydalegal
DavidOrton, Owner at The Hunters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Thank you for your comments.
All our hot food is cooked fresh for you, not frozen and being reheated and I believe that a 30 minute wait is not unacceptable.

Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Couldn't comment on rooms as didn't stay. We went for a very nice walk to Hedons Mouth and back. Been here every year for the last 26 years and seen this place go up and up and have some good refurbishments. Went for lunch and it was good, so good we all decided to come back for dinner. There was a large group of people eating but we were warned so service was restricted as we expected so no problem there, had a really nice time and the staff were very pleasant. 'Icarus'

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 16, 2013

What a wonderful place to get away, lovely wooded valley with the beach just a short walk away and beautiful gardens complete with red deer wandering about. We were here as a very mixed group of 7 and nobody was disappointed! Fantastic beer and food and as for the local valley dwellers, well they are in a league of their own; very entertaining - 3 of us nearly didn't go home and we will all be back. Thank you all for retaining a small piece of our hearts!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jane M
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed here several years ago and found it to be a charming hotel with lot's of character and great food. During a recent visit to Devon we decided to visit for lunch.
As we entered the hotel it looked tired, grubby and in need of some TLC (old decor, worn carpets etc), however this is often the case with older properties.

Once inside I went to order lunch only to be told that there was only baguettes or soup due to the kitchen being busy because they had a wedding. Parts of the hotel were also closed off for the wedding.
This is something that seems to happen more and more often, hotels take bookings for weddings which affects the service offered to other guests. The food that was on offer was ok but more of a snack than a meal. A shame really because this place is in a great location, they really need to be able to cater for weddings and other guests at the same time.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Rotting windows and doors on the front let in gales of cold air and piling wet logs on to the woodburner didn’t help the chilly atmosphere in the bar lounge. Generally rundown and slightly grubby. Threadbare carpets, stained bath and, on our floor, the smell of industrial carpet cleaner. No hot water in the morning. Fabulous position, in wooded Exmoor valley and near the sea, but won’t be going back.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gill C

Thank you for your comments.

You have high lighted only the negative elements that were at the Inn; for a more balanced review you could have commented on the wonderful new glazed restaurant overlooking the rear gardens or the superb new toilets that we have recently completed.
We purchased a very run down building and have and continue to invest very large sums of money to bring it up to the standards that we would like.
A new front door and frame had been ordered however due to the unusually wet winter we were unable to fit it; this and the new windows will be completed within a few weeks.
At the end of this season the bar will be relocated and the last of the carpets will have been replaced matching the others already done.
Perhaps once this is completed you will think about returning to see the improvements.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We went in for a drink/ coffee beer etc, and were served quickly, this is in a fantastic location for walkers and they welcome dogs in the bar area, they have decorated the restaurant area and it looks great although we did not eat here. Look forward to another visit and to have a meal.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I arrived at Longlands 5-10 minutes outside of Combe Martin last Monday where there had been torrential rain, rivers were overflowing and farmers were out looking for livestock! It was very bad and I didn't expect many rural places to be open. I stayed in the area for 4 days with my daughter her partner, the weather improved and we visited The Hunters Inn on Tuesday and Wednesday evening. The Hunters Inn caters for all sorts of people on holiday (ramblers, sightseers, families on holiday, and welcomes dogs) and has several comfortable areas, lovely log fires and a very friendly laid back atmosphere and attentive and helpful staff plus some great beers and wine! As you would expect the restaurant area is in a separate room away from the lounge areas and is well laid out clean and tidy.
The restaurant had a good and varied menu at good prices, certainly not over the top! The meals we had were excellent as was the service and the chef even made up a dish that wasn't on the menu for me - nothing I can criticise and I would be the first to say if it was bad!
For me there was no bad odour not even after the worst storm for years, no damp type odour no doggy smells, nothing!
On both occasions we visited we got chatting to the locals and we had to drag ourselves away from great evenings. Budget allowing I’d certainly go back to stay at The Hunters Inn as a base to do some walking and photography.
Great location, great place, fab friendly staff, good food, reasonable prices and GREAT ATMOSPHERE.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CresSurrey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Martinhoe
The Old Rectory Hotel
#1 of 2 in Martinhoe
The Fox and Goose Inn
The Fox and Goose Inn
#1 of 3 in Parracombe

Been to The Hunters Inn? Share your experiences!