We love Hunters Inn. It is in idyllic surroundings and the building itself is beautiful. This is the first time we've stayed: a special treat for us, a break on our journey from Yorkshire to Cornwall.
We will almost certainly come back again, by which time the renovation work will be completed.
The owner, a very pleasant man, very quickly and without fuss transferred us to a different room when we expressed our dismay at the scaffolding outside the window of the (lovely) room we'd originally been allocated. And, in truth, the building work didn't otherwise intrude on our stay.
A few little touches would make a real difference to this great inn: bar staff who acknowledge your arrival at reception - 'just ignore them' is not a great welcoming policy. We are reasonable folk and would have accepted 'someone will be with you shortly'. We were early, the staff were busy, but that doesn't render us invisible.
Can anything be done about the flies in the dining room? We had a fantastic table overlooking the garden but were fending off flies which rather took the edge off.
The B and B deal was £100. And the fantastic location, comfy bed and the all round friendliness of staff and owner mean we feel it was money well spent. But in that price bracket a few nice extra touches would be good: for example we've been greeted with homemade biscuits and nice bathroom extras etc in similarly priced and situated establishments. It makes a difference.
And finally, the building has history - once the work is done it will be great to have a folder of info, including perhaps a typical menu, in the room.
But, as I said, we'll be back. It's a heavenly spot.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hunters Inn pub is blessed with the most magical setting, tucked at the bottom of the exquisitely beautiful Heddon Valley on Exmoor. The narrow road from the moor descends beneath a canopy of ancient trees. Sun-dappled leaves glitter and gleam. The river runs past the inn and a short walk takes you to the beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your The Hunters Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Hunters` Hotel Exmoor National Park
- The Hunters Inn Martinhoe, Devon