“Pretty place, inattentive staff - reviewed as diner/drinker”
Review of The Hunters Inn

The Hunters Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Martinhoe B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stopped here for a meal on a balmy summer's night, and while it could have been a delight, it turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. The beer was good, and the food, what there was of it, was fine, but for the amount we paid we expected a bit more. A vegetable, or two, for example. When my meat and potatoes arrived, I asked the young person serving us whether we'd be getting any veg, but she just said "no, that's it" and stomped off. Later, clearing our table, she said we could have ordered side dishes. There was nothing about this on the menu, and she didn't say anything about it earlier. My kids and my wife left feeling a little hungry, and our experience of this place was really spoiled by the sloppy way this person dealt with us. It's a real shame, because I really wanted to like it.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Raingiant
There are newer reviews for The Hunters Inn

Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Hunters Inn is in a very lovely bucolic setting in the Heddon Valley. The sun rises late and sets early behind the steep sides of the valley. We had a room on the second floor (through plenty of fire doors!), with plenty of space both in the bedroom and the enormous bathroom. The room six bathroom is as big as some other hotels' actual bedrooms - with a fabulous view over the lovely garden. A shower attachment to the taps would have been useful (we liked the humour of leaving out shower caps, even though there was no shower!)! The windows in the bedroom and bathroom could probably do with being replaced difficult to close and rotten in places.

The pub was good, a mix of locals and tourists. And a table was reserved for us for the evening meal, again overlooking the garden. Food was quite good, reasonably priced and plentiful. Breakfast was ok, although one morning we were told that there were no eggs for scrambled eggs. Then the waitress came back and said we could however have a poached egg. Me no understand! Whatever, this is a nice place to stay for a couple of nights, and our small dog was welcome everywhere.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have visited this pub many times over the years whilst visiting this area and have always intended to come back and stay so when I decided to undertake part of the South West Coast Path walk I just had to organise a stay here and I was not disappointed.
I arrived about 2pm and the pub was quite busy but checking in was not a problem so I enjoyed a pint from their good selection of local beers and was then showed to my room. I had booked a twin room as I intended to be walking with a friend but as I was alone I was given a discount on the agreed price. I came down to the bar in the evening and decided not to eat as I had eaten during the day so I sat and chatted with some locals in the bar and had a good night. The bar person (Linda) was very good and kept my glass well filled.
The room was excellent with a large bathroom and a welcome bath.
Breakfast was very good and although they were busy the service was no problem.
Jen was good enough to keep my bag until I had completed the walk and returned later in the day to have some lunch and collect it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The Hunters Inn is in an amazing location, not the easiest of places to get to, but it is a wonderful setting.
We arrived with well behaved dog and just wanted to eat, it was a Monday night so quiet, a few other diners were in the restaurant which has fantastic views of the valley.
This place is let down by the staff,who lack the friendly touch, the lady behind the bar just seemed uninterested, I'm not sure if she was shy, the young waitress (Austrian) was also very shy.
The food was very good, Fish n Chips and a burger were really good, but once the food was on the table, that was it, staff vanished, no one checked if everything was ok, hubby had to go hunting for more relish.
Can't put my finger on this place, which has clearly had money spent on it, but it lacks something, and staff need some basic hospitality training.
Don't know that I would return.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidOrton, Owner at The Hunters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments about the quality of our food.
Unfortunately the young bar lady who was working on the evening of your visit was having an asthma attack and was struggling to breathe and was unable to carry out the table service that she would normally. She called for help soon after your visit and was sent to the doctors.
The young Austrian lady is part way through a hospitality course at college, she is a little shy and she was concerned about her work colleague. I hope that this will not put you off visiting us again.

Kindest regards
David

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stumbled across the Hunters Inn having meandered down a long windy road thought the valley (much easier to get to it from the North - seaward end!). Emerging into the open, the hotel looks like a sun-drenched jewel amidst a valley of green.

We hadn't planned to stay, but after a great lunch of perfectly cooked haddock and home-made chips, we asked and were delighted to find a room looking back up the tranquil valley and the staff did everything they could to look after us.

Our room was lovely, large, with a very comfortable double bed with unbelievably soft cotton sheets. The bathroom was modern with a lovely shower and deep bath - what more could we want?

The hotel is in a simply perfect location, nestled deep within the Heddon Valley; peaceful doesn't do it justice. No mobile phone signal (an advantage for us!) but WiFi is available to guests if the outside world really has to intrude.

There is a lovely easy walk down the rest of the valley to the beach, following the stream as it burbles over the rocks, starting (or finishing - or both depending whether you walk down one side and back up the other, or not) at the bottom of the hotel's lovely gardens.

Dog-friendly, peaceful, surrounded by nature that takes your breath away; we will certainly be back! Thank you for a perfect weekend.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This is a lovely hotel. Its not a chain, its privately owned so what it lacks in silly soap in the bathroom is more than made up for by wonderful personal old fashioned service. The food was very good and the portions large. Our room was beatiful, large and very comfortable. The bar area is lovely. The position of the hotel is amazing. We arrived by bicycle and the area is simply stunning. Give the hotel a go - you will be well pleased. One day we will be back

Reviewed June 3, 2013

This was our second stay a the hunters and it was lovely. The staff are friendly and welcoming and the setting is simply stunning. The rooms are spacious and very tasteful. Breakfast was delicious and very fresh.
On the whole a great stay with even a smile from Chris the bar man. Thank you all.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Martinhoe
The Old Rectory Hotel
#7 of 9 in Lynton
Rock House Hotel
Rock House Hotel
#5 of 5 in Lynmouth

Been to The Hunters Inn? Share your experiences!