$123
$117
Official Site
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewsheddon valleyburgerthe pubheddons mouthcream tealight lunchreal alean evening mealsunflower lodgefantastic locationmusselsnational trustroast beefside saladwoody baysconesfour poster bed
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Delightful setting on the Heddon's River, half a mile off the SW Coast Path. I didn't intend to stop here, but my sore knee needed some rest, so took a chance that they had a vacancy. Soaked in a lovely hot bath. Sweet, sickly-smelling bath gel, so guys, bring your own soap. No shampoo. No cup, saucer or spoon, only 2 sugar satchets, and kettle didn't work in the socket provided. Old-fashioned 4-poster bed comfortable, if a bit creaky. The old TV is the tiniest I've ever seen in a hotel room, so you need extremely good eyesight to watch it from the bed. It's a lovely old building, and I really appreciate the discount they gave me, as I would have felt ripped off if I'd paid the full price for the room. Breakfast OK, cereal and full English. No fruit, yogurt or pastries, so that was disappointing considering the rates charged.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is an amazing spot for a walk and a spot of afternoon tea or a pint. There's a great NT car park and shop nearby and the walk down to Heddon's Mouth is brilliant and well worth the trip. The hotel itself has a lovely front patio and beautiful gardens at the back - perfect for a rest stop on a sunny day. The bar inside is nothing to write home about and we didn't try the food. The cream tea was great although be careful to not arrive too late as on one visit they'd run out of scones before 3pm! The local cider (Sam's Devon medium) is well worth a go - a big notch up from the supermarket stuff. The only downer was a very surly barman who was just not interested. The fact that I wanted a scone with no pot of tea was far too much trouble for him. He basically refused to serve me a scone without a pot of tea until one of his colleagues came to my rescue and put him straight and showed him another option on his till.. He was a real "computer says no!" kind of a guy. Fortunately the cakes, scones, cider, tea, etc were all lovely. We'd go back again but we'll be wary if that chap is serving next time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We booked our Bank Holiday weekend for different reasons, I thought Romantic Weekend away he thought Surfing. Ended up both (but tiny surf).However we enjoyed our time at this hotel so much that we struggled to leave. The staff, food and ambiance were all truly amazing. Our room was a surprise in that it was at the very top of the hotel with a very comfy four poster bed and a huge iron bath with a view straight out of the window. Our dog was made to feel very welcome and we enjoyed the beautiful scenery on our daily walks.

We would love to come back and I am sure we will. Love Love Love.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We had an amazing peaceful weekend at The Hunters Inn. We were made very welcome and waited on hand and foot. Our room was spacious, warm, very clean and comfortable. The food was to die for, we start our diet next week! This was our fourth trip back and still cannot find fault with the place. We will definitely be returning again, and again. Since our last visit the dining area has been extended and opened up, amazing floor to ceiling windows overlooking the well kept gardens. The breakfast room and bedrooms have also been redecorated and all look amazing and feel so clean and fresh. You'll be mad not to give it a try.
P.S. The cream teas are lush x

Room Tip: All rooms are good. Some with four posters, some with baths rather than showers, some with both. Just ask when booking and the owners will do their best to accommodate your needs.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Visited the hunters inn expecting to order lunch but greeted by a paper sign stating no food after 1pm due to a wedding party at 3pm. It was just before 2pm so we ordered a drink and crisps but were hard pressed to find a seat because the staff were removing the chairs for the wedding event. However, imagine my dismay when 4 plates of food were delivered to a table of customers after 2pm! Whether that party had a celebrity amongst them, it should not make any difference. We will not be visiting again - this was part of my 60th birthday treat from friends who had visited the Hunters Inn many years ago and wanted us to appreciate the beauty and atmosphere. I'm sorry Hunters Inn but you should stick to your rules for all customers!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
DavidOrton, Owner at Hunter's Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding last Saturday.
Our General Manager, having had complaints, on Trip Advisor, about slower service to members of the general public whilst we hosted another wedding decided to finish food early so as to concentrate on the 100+ wedding meals. In a previous review a customer suggested just serving the wedding and closing to the public, this we did, it was a mistake. In future we shall find a way of continuing with food for all.
The customers who received food after the kitchens had closed for normal service had pre ordered and the food had been prepared earlier.
I can only apologise and can assure you that we always try to work in the best interests of all our customers