Exmoor White Horse Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Simonsbath House(Simonsbath)
Very Good 4/5
  • Restaurant
Dunkery Beacon Hotel(Wootton Courtenay)
The Lion Hotel(Dulverton)
Good 3.5/5
Kildare Lodge(Minehead)
Very Good 4/5
Kingsway Hotel(Minehead)
Marston Lodge Hotel(Minehead)
Great 4.5/5
All reviewswhite horsethe rivercream teasconesvenisonluxury roombar menusunday carveryself servicethe main hotelfour poster bednothing is too much troublelovely breakbooked a tableevening mealplenty of choicemy partner
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We arrived at this establishment on sun for the carvery and it wasn't that busy but the staff couldn't cope, the carvery itself wasn't too bad but other members of our group ordered other food when it arrived the burgers were over cooked chips were hard and veg over cooked customer service was POOR and some people even walked out! The staff didn't have a clue what was on the menus or what was with the food.after that I shouldn't of gone back but we gave it a second chance today and OMG the chicken for my 12 year old son was bleeding and had to be taken away the trout I had was over cooked and the potatoes I think had been kept warn since breakfast !! And it's not cheap I walked out as I was steaming the manager offered a free coke and my wife accepted I had to stay in the car park out the way!! Do not eat here you have been warned can't comment on the hotel as we were just in for food

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank Philip C
PeterHendrie, Manager at Exmoor White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

We have read and re-read your review many times before replying, having found your review title untrue, unfair and totally insulting. After comparing it to other reviews both before and after yours we are sure that other subscribers, as well as ourselves, wonder if you are actually talking about the same place. Our staff, all busy and hardworking, pride themselves on the service they offer, as do we the management, and this service and commitment is regularly praised and commented on as being outstanding. We can only assume that your comments are directed at the young lady that was being trained behind the bar at the time in question, and yet it was explained to everyone that training was taking place and 99.9% of customers appreciated this (we all have to start somewhere! )However, the majority of our staff are knowledgeable, many having worked here for a considerable number of years. With regards to comments on the food, whilst we appreciate that everyone's tastes are different, just because it was not to your taste does not indicate that there is anything wrong with it. And if things were really as bad as you stated, (the coke was simply offered as a gesture to your son), what a shame that you did not take it up with the Manager at the time, rather than "sitting in the car park" and then taking the easy route of putting finger to keyboard, meaning that we are then unable to rectify the situation, which rest assured we would have gone out of our way to do.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

Two night stay on a first visit to return to the area of my wife's birth. Classic English hotel with much character. Greeted with a smile and welcome at reception this set the tone for a lovely visit. We were in the lodge which was initially disappointing until we opened the door to our room which was very spacious and decorated to a very high standard with lovely big bay windows. We ate first night in the restaurant which was nice and homely with good quality food. Second night in the bar, which was more basic but wholesome. Breakfast both days was good. As always staff make a hotel and the hard work and enthusiasm of the staff could not be faulted. The village itself is a bit limited but, hey, you are in Dartmoor and this is God's own country (my wife came from here after all) to by explored and enjoyed. I'd happily return.

1  Thank Highexpectati0ns

We appreciate your comments and are so pleased to hear that Exmoor has made you want to return. We hope to see you in the future

Reviewed July 31, 2014

Fantastic old charmer..ivy clad beautiful setting, staff attentive and this was just for lunch! Great to sit outside by the bridge and gently bubbling stream, no doubt a raging torrent in winter! We had the best venison sandwiches I have ever eaten. Would love to stay here in the winter, I bet it is going to be very good. I shall put another review on when I do manage to stay.

Room Tip: As I did not stay this time I cannot comment, but can't wait to do so!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
PeterHendrie, Manager at Exmoor White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We would love to be able to welcome you back to stay with us here at The Exmoor White Horse Inn where you would be able to explore Exmoor and all that it has to offer.
We hope to see you soon

Reviewed July 30, 2014

My partner and I enjoyed a lovely 3 night stay in this hotel which sits in a very pretty village.
There was some confusion with our room when we arrived but this was sorted out and we were very happy with the second room we were given, the hotel is very clean and the breakfast is fantastic very good quality and plenty of it. We found all the staff to be very friendly and were given great advice from Peter and Vince on places to go and visit which tuned out to be invaluable we took our pet beagle who was made to feel as welcome as we were. Thank you for a much needed break.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for all your comments, all of which will be passed on to the relevant members of staff.
We really do appreciate you taking the time to leave your review.. So pleased to hear that you had such a good stay here at the Exmoor White Horse Inn, we value all our customers, past and present, and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

We booked this hotel for 2 nights with Secretescapes.com but we arranged a third night with the Hotel on the same basis. They (Daphne) had pre allocated us room 37 in the lodge after hearing our preferences. This was an excellent choice and we loved this room and would ask for this room again as we hope to return. This Inn is rated 3 star and from our experiences certainly achieves this and in some aspects a higher rating. It is difficult to compare hotel ratings as there are always plus and minuses.
We were shown the room on arrival and it was very hot. I was surprised that one of the two windows would not open and the outside glass panes were partially covered with cobwebs. We asked for someone to come and get the window open but after some struggling and lifting the locking catch shifted and we got the window open. The room and bathroom very pleasant and with a very comfortable bed. Wi fi works extremely well and fast, good thing as no mobile connection from O2. I was somewhat surprised that the shampoo in the bathroom was the leftovers in the bottle from the previous guest ! Clean windows are important and it only took my wife a few seconds to put that right.
All the staff, including Peter were really excellent in every way and this was from arrival until we left. The breakfast staff really give the day a good start The Old boy! (getting my own back) gave us some excellent tips over breakfast and he was well supported by the other staff, especially the newest Polish girl who I am sure will be a great asset. Peter was always there as well. Excellent teamwork.
The cooked breakfast just excellent, especially the bacon and the sausages (local produce and very well cooked). I think for those who like a continental breakfast and not a cooked one, probably in the minority could be catered for with a better choice, although it does mention ham and cheese on the menu.
Overall though with everything the breakfast was excellent and there was no problem in ordering poached eggs (we have had this refused in a five star hotel!).
The Sunday Carvery is extremely popular and again very high quality.
The Bar menu which is all day and evening is one of the best we have come across and suited us fine. We had all our meals there, sitting outside by the river. Service again excellent. The staff were as helpful as possible. I was surprised though when a French couple had their food delivered to them at the table next to us by the river and when the guy asked for mustard in a very polite way he was abruptly told by the older waiter to go and get it at the bar. All the other waiters were only too happy to do this task. Small points like this can make all the difference.
The location of the hotel is perfect for touring Exmoor and Peter and the staff really put themselves out to explain what is available and give their advice. Book the Exmoor Safari and excellent half day landrover experience. Bring your binoculars, we left ours behind but Peter loaned these to us.
The weather for the 4 days we were there was perfect and of course this puts everything into a good light. Breakfast is at 8am and we found that fine especially as we had such a good nights sleep, with the windows wide open!
The complimentary cream tea on arrival was great, and the cream and scones some of the best we have had, but this went for all the food.
These days I would prefer a walk-in shower as opposed to a bath or a shower within a bath. I cannot remember the last time I had a bath. The shower was ok though but the space was limited, but then the present layouts come with that time period.
A beautiful area and if you have the book Shortish walks on Exmoor you have an abundance of walks to do. The Hotel also has details of 9 walks from the hotel.
we look forward to going back.

Room Tip: We prefer the lodge. We had Room 37 which is upstairs and has a large bed, similar to a King size (2 singles zipped together). Light décor, overlooking the rear garden and river. We would choose this room again, or failing that room 33 below, which is larger but has a smaller bed, but has French doors opening on to the garden, but darker decor
1  Thank Mike1946