The Rockford Inn
$153
Excellent 5/5
Great 4.5/5
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe pubthe riverpizzagreat foodsteakpieswooded valleyevening mealwarm welcomehighly recommend a stay hereresidents loungethere are so manyos maphuge varietycheese boardopen fireoff the menu
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 20, 2010

A lovely small riverside country Inn. Sarah is a fabulous cook. This is our 2nd visit, I think it's even better in the Spring when they have the bar fire roaring away. Lot's of walks for all abilities, fishing, pony riding, you name it you can do it. We will definitely be going again. My only moan if I can find one, is the early breakfast finished by 8.30am - then again I hate mornings.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2010

Stayed in May for a weekend and loved it, we didnt have an ensuite room because it was fully booked but the shared bathroom was fine and dont think i had to share it with anyone.The bed was extreamly comfortable and you could hear the river out side very soothing. we dined here for one night only and was happy with the food. The breakfast was amazing you must try the smoked haddock and poached egg! The pub was lovely great real ales and well stock bar, had a nice evening at the bar chatting with the ocals and staff. There is a beatiful walk right out side along the river which is very rugged lots of water falls. The drive here is very interesting cows and sheep have the right of way! Make sure you visit waters meet, you can walk from the inn. Thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2010

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Rockford Inn and would highly recommend the place. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, we felt very lucky that we had found this idyllic inn. Our room (room 4) albeit on the small side, had absolutely everything that we needed to make our stay comfortable and relaxed. Above all it was clean, tidy and well equipped.

Sarah's cooking is second to none and all the meals we ate at the Inn were of the highest standard - the full English breakfast set us up a treat every morning and my only problem now is that my boyfriend is going to expect my cooking to be of the same quality!

The location of the Rockford Inn is breathtakingly beautiful. We walked along the River Lyn and never tired of it's beauty. What a fabulous location and I for one shall miss lying in bed listening to the river every night.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2010

Just returned home after spending 8 days at Rockford Inn our room was perfect , with onsuite bath/ shower coffee/ tea provided/ tv .
Nice comfortable double bed room very clean and decor just right we dont have a problem with wood chip :)
From the very moment of arriving both Sarah and Cathryn made us so welcome it was as if we had known them for years .
Rockford Inn is set in a beautiful part of Exmoor with stunning scenery all around , with nice walks along the river & further .
Parking is no problem at all, plenty of space for 15 cars
If you stay here be prepared to go on a diet after you return home because your meals are Huge & very good .
If your a real ale drinker then you have hit the jack pot ,served from the cask differing beers and strenghs so will suite you all .
I would recommend Rockford Inn for a great holiday / vacation/ long stay or short stay
we shall be returning to this beautiful Inn this really is a gem !!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HarleyRider
Reviewed June 14, 2010

It is a nice location, & a very English Inn .... but we were dissapointed about our room compared with the rest of the lovely decor for the public to see in the bar. Our room was very small with wood chip paper on the walls lacking in any colour.Oh... 1 picture on wall. No television,which would of been nice if just to see the news and weather. This was a birthday treat for my partner ,and we were so dissapointed about our room which was like youth hostel standard.Parking was ok for us just about.
The breakfast was good .

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank oddington
frankierosebud, Owner at The Rockford Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2010

I love Tripadvisor. I love the comments that get made. I love the opportunity to reply which some travel review sites don't allow. Most of the comments are nice and complimentary, but some need a response! This is one.

Not quite sure what Oddington is on about here. What exactly is the problem? Yes, it is a BASIC ROOM. The room is advertised as BASIC for Pete's sake! What Oddington didn't mention is that the price is also BASIC. Room 2 is just £50 a night for two people and includes breakfast. What on earth was he expecting? Some people don't understand the concept of 'You get what you pay for'. Personally speaking, I wouldn't take my wife for a birthday treat to BASIC room on a special occasion, without getting a slap round the face that is.

We have 5 rooms all at different grades and all at different prices, something to suit everybody you might say. We even have luxury en-suite rooms that come with patterned wallpaper, loads of pictures and a TV. These are designed for couples who want a bit of extra comfort on their special occasion. These cost a little more, but at £85 per night it's still cheap. If you value your wife you I might suggest you invest in one of these rather than a small BASIC room.

We get a lot of hardy types who come here to enjoy the countryside; walking, fishing, riding for example. They want BASIC because they aren't going to be spending any time in their room studying the wallpaper or counting the pictures. They want a clean room and a good breakfast in the morning. They want to come back in the evening, enjoy a hot bath, have a lovely meal and finish the night with a pint of real ale. All for a price that isn't going to break the bank. That's why we have a £50 room! I don't think Room 2 is a 'poor room'. However I do think it's poor form to blame the establishment if your loved one is disappointed when you take her away for a special occasion (where you spend £50) and likens your effort to a Youth Hostel.

Another Oddington comment: 'Parking was just about ok'. Hmmm. Yes, well, err, I guess he parked his car successfully then. Not sure what kind of car parking experience he was expecting for £50, although it is included in the price.

ps What is it with wood chip wallpaper? I don't understand why WCW attracts so much venom. Obviously it disturbs some people so much they write to complain about it. Personally I don't get it.