“A great weekend”
Review of The Rockford Inn

The Rockford Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Brendon B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 25, 2013

To get a good idea of the pub before you book, visit the website at http://www.therockfordinn.co.uk/. Everything you see on the website is 100% accurate.
I stayed in the small single room 3 which, as described is small but due to careful design there is plenty of storage space. The riverside location of the pub is superb and there are plenty of walks in every direction so you don't need to even use your car. You can walk all the way to Lynmouth in about an hour along the river without going near a road.
The beer at the Rockford is as it should be served, straight out of the cask and every pint I had was perfect. There are plenty of choices for breakfast and the portions are more than generous. The evening meals were substantial and well cooked, the home made pies being particularly good.
Cathryn and Sarah could not have been more helpful, not just to me but everyone who who visited while I was there and nothing was too much trouble for them.
The only small criticism was the heating in the bedroom. The weather was bitterly cold when I visited and the radiator in the bedroom struggled to adequately heat the room. Maybe a heated towel rail would take the chill off the bathroom?
As a conclusion, I recommend the Rockford Inn to anyone wanting a stay in a traditional country inn and I will definitely be returning. In these days of failing pubs, if ever there is one that deserves to succeed, it is the Rockford

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank PaulRH123
There are newer reviews for The Rockford Inn

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I found the Rockford Inn on the internet, i was looking for a place to stay in Dartmouth but then this place popped up. Some very steep hills on the way down to it but well worth the drive. We arrived on the friday eve 8th Feb, parked our car and didn't use the car again until we left on the sunday morning. They are lovely people and very welcoming, had a fab meal on the evening,
log fires and so lovely. Breakfast was great then we walked along the river into Lynmouth, then walked back and my husband watched the Rugby in the lounge, the fire was lit, it was perfect, another great meal on the evening. The room was spotless and couldn't fault anything.
Cannot wait to go back.
Breakfast was between 8-9 which i thought a little early for a weekend and you had to leave yr
room by 10 which also was a little early. But we had a lovely weekend at The Rockford.
Compliments and thanks to all concerned, wish it was ours.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank equestrian2
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My partner and I stayed for a one night break between xmas and new year and thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this lovely Inn full of character in a beautiful setting. We stayed in room 4 which although is classed as a small double was plenty big enough and very well decorated and immaculately clean with a nice view of the river opposite. The dinner menu had a nice selection of meals and both our meals were beautifully presented and tasted excellent. The breakfast menu was also very good and service excellent. I am sure we will stay here again in the future and would highly recommend the Rockford Inn to all our friends.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Di M
Reviewed December 10, 2012

If like me you love a fantastic traditional pub then the Rockford Inn is for you. It has plenty of character real log fires, superb real ales straight from the barrell and the food was outstanding.
Our visit was christmas time, the pub was simply magical with a number of real trees and traditional decorations. The hosts were unbeleivable so welcoming and friendly they could not do enough for you. The rooms were excellent nicely decorated and plush. We will definetly be returning.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nigel j
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Third visit - just as fabulous as the first time. I can not fault this place. If you want to get away from the stress of work and pause your hectic life for a moment then the Rockford Inn is the answer. Room 2 was lovely, very spacious with a fab bathroom, having been revamped recently. We'll be returning again and again! This place has really taken off and is now very popular - make sure you book in advance! Lots of walks to be found on the doorstep and a warm welcome and roaring fire when you return.

Room Tip: All double rooms are lovely but Room 2 and Room 6 are particularly fab.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Have been to the Rockford twice now. The first time we stayed the night.....it was great. Lovely big clean en suite room and lovely english breakfast......not to mention all the lovely walks you can do straight from the door! The second time we popped in for a meal after a walk at Malmsmead. On both occasions the evening meal was delicious. The 'Moo & Blue (think that's right!) pie was delicious and as for the Stickey Toffee Pudding....well my husband who is an expert on these things declared it the best he had ever tasted. All this along with good ale and red wine....what more could you want? The hostesses were brilliant, warm and welcoming. We will certainly return soon( can't wait!).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sazzer31
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Spent one night here with my 8 year old son. Despite it hailing outside, we had a lovely break here. The owners made us feel very welcome. I don't think we would've found it without Sat Nav though, especially with the awfull weather! Nothing better than a log fire in the bar area to greet you! The evening meal was excellent, I had the chilli.

The room was comfortable, although a little cold. The radiator worked, though didn't seem up to the job. I rarely feel the cold, but this time I did. I did overhear another guest complaining about the same problem. I guess its normal for countryside living this time of year? Once under the warm duvet all was good!

Breakfast was spot on. Would definately return here.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Roy125
Mark_Hanrahan, Owner at The Rockford Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Thank you Roy for bringing the coldness to our attention. I guess you stayed in Room 5 which is the last room in the building. We will supplement the heating with another radiator to alleviate the problem at this time of year.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brendon
Dunkery Beacon Hotel
#1 of 5 in Lynmouth
Lorna Doone Hotel
Lorna Doone Hotel
#1 of 2 in Porlock

Been to The Rockford Inn? Share your experiences!