“Wonderful weekend retreat”
Review of The Rockford Inn

The Rockford Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Brendon B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 5, 2012

This is ideal place to stay if you love walking, good food and a restful atmosphere. The room I shared with two friends had fresh modern bedlinen and towels and was comfortable, clean and warm. We dined in on both nights of our stay and had some excellent food and wine - the posh fish and chips are particularly recommended. Our hosts, Sarah and Cathryn, made us most welcome and nothing was too much trouble for them. I hope to visit again in warmer weather; the riverside location would make it a lovely spot to enjoy an evening drink or snack.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dinks_12

Reviewed May 3, 2012

We based ourselves here for two nights to walk around the area. Lovely quiet location & ideally placed for walking.
Some aspects of decor a bit dated but it's being gradually up dated. In our party of 5, 2 had a lovely, freshly up-dated room at the back of the building which was slightly larger than the one 3 of us shared a room at the front that was partially up-to-date but we had the view/sound of the river opposite.
Hosts very accommodating and good attention to detail. Food good - no need to go elsewhere.
I would definitely stay there again. But if you can't live without your moble....Be warned - no signal whatsoever.

Room Tip: Sorry ticked fitness centre by mistake - there wasn't one.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 23, 2012

If you are looking for a truly authentic English pub with with a wonderful local atmosphere, great food, real ales and good service, head on out to the Rockford Inn. This was our 2nd visit for dinner. We went here for my birthday dinner because they had homemade pizza on the menu. It was a wonderful night with friendly locals that added to the atmosphere. You can't beat the beautiful setting -it's lovely! It is super dog friendly and we had our dog with us. We loved it so much that we booked again when our American friends were visiting us.

Our second visit was equally as great as our first. We had such an enjoyable night. All of our friends loved the menu and everyone thoroughly enjoyed the food, beer, service and atmosphere. We had both of our dogs and they were made to feel very welcome as well. The menu isn't so up-market that you don't know what it is you are ordering - it is simple and varied from delicious homemade pizza to mouth watering steaks - just fantastic and reasonably priced. Our type of pub for sure! Our American friends thought this really topped their last night off!! Give it try and hope you like it as much as we did. We will definitely be back and recommend it to all of our B & B guests to eat!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed here over Easter and it was a really relaxing stay. The location is very quiet and remote. The highlights are the river and fishing. Don't stay here thinking that you will be in a village. This is a hamlet and we based our stay around the Inn. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed with cable TV with a few channels, and nice and warm during the cold weather. There is free wifi throughout the hotel as there is no phone signal for about 5 miles in any direction. The bar has real ales and great ciders. The food is outstanding and a highlight of the stay. The adjoining area has some wonderful walks along the East Lyn River and Watersmeet is 45 mins stroll downstream. Will return!

Room Tip: Room 7 is a nice room on the side with a glimpse of the river and faces the wooded hillside.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I have just spent three nights in the single room at this Inn. I was warned that it was small, and they were not joking ! However, I loved it ! I am used to fitting in wherever I hang my hat and, once I'd sorted myself out was nicely settled in. The meals were excellent, and I had a varied choice - I can recommend the steak and prawns dish, that was first class. The breakfasts were plentiful, and I set off on my walk with a contented stomach.

The staff were friendly and always ready to assist if such was needed.

This inn is set in an idyllic setting, but the only way out is up ! Not that I was bothered with that, as I'd gone there to walk anyway.

I have no hesitation in recommending this inn to everyone, and will certainly be returning in the future. My sincere thanks to you all at the Rockford Inn.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Just returned from a 3 night stay, the 320 mile journey was well worth it. The welcome from Sarah and Cathryn was warm and friendly as were the log fires. We stayed in Room, a double En Suite which is very comfortable.
It is easy to say that everything was perfect but our stay was.
The comfort, hosts, beers and wines, location All 5 star.
We hope to return again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Friendly attentive owners. Excellent food, ate there each night of the three. Wonderful location with superb walks that are immediately accessible. Great value. I was very impressed, and started to plan my return before I departed. John_D

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brendon
Rock House Hotel
Rock House Hotel
#5 of 5 in Lynmouth
The Seawood Boutique Hotel
Bonnicott House Hotel
Bonnicott House Hotel
#3 of 15 in Lynmouth

Been to The Rockford Inn? Share your experiences!