“A good evening was had by our group”
Review of Jack Sprat's

Jack Sprat's
Ranked #1 of 56 Restaurants in Dawlish
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A stylish, contemporary licensed restaurant using the freshest and best produce to create delicious food served by professional waiters with smiling faces. Try us for great coffee, fabulous stone baked pizza, pasta, homemade burgers (best ever!)and lots of daily specials. Good value, family-friendly and fresh tasty food. We are small so book if you can.
Reviewed December 13, 2013

This year we decided to celebrate in a restaurant instead of in somebody's house. As some of us had already eaten at Jack Spratt's we decided to go there. Some of our members were a little reluctant at first saying things like 'it looks dark' (it does from the outside.) However we had a wonderful evening there with 13 of us sitting at the table on the upper level; the ambience was good. I have always enjoyed the food when I've eaten there and was not disappointed this time. Everybody agreed that the food was delicious and we all had a great time. The organisation was great with everyone being able to pay separately (hence avoiding the annoying 'well I didn't drink any wine' niggles.) The portions were generous and any request we made was quickly complied with. I have no hesitation in recommending it.

Helgakbeer B, Owner at Jack Sprat's, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

Thanks so much for your fantastic review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your night. We enjoyed serving you - it was a fun night! We look forward to seeing you again soon. Big smiles all round at Jack Sprat's.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Having just moved to the area, my partner and I are doing the rounds of the local restaurants and were really impressed by our evening at Jack Sprat's. The food was fantastic (and came in generous portions), you could tell that the chef cared about what they were preparing. We had the steak and the double burger (more than partner could manage!), both were cooked perfectly.

The restaurant itself had a lovely atmosphere - cosy and intimate, but also full of chatter - and our waitress made us feel comfortable and relaxed.

I would say this is easily one of the best meals I have had in a restaurant and we will definitely be back soon!

Helgakbeer B, Owner at Jack Sprat's, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Welcome to Dawlish! It is a really lovely town. I hope you will be very happy here. Thanks for your fabulous review. We are all delighted. The staff do most certainly care about their work. They are all friendly and professional, We are very lucky. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

We visited Jack Sprat's on Saturday (23rd November) base d on Trip Advisor reviews and were not disappointed. The service was fast and friendly and the food was excellent. We all had sandwiches which were fresh and tasty and the chips were great. The portions were a good size for lunch without being too big. Obviously a very popular place as they were turning people away and we can see why. Highly recommended.

1  Thank DaniH0103
Helgakbeer B, Owner at Jack Sprat's, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review. We really appreciate it. Tripadvisor users help us so much by promoting the business and giving us the real feedback we need to grow and develop. I am so pleased you read the reviews on the site and they encouraged you to visit us. Thanks for your kind words. it is all very encouraging. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We arranged this venue for a Saturday lunchtime meeting for 15 people. We had pre-ordered our food the previous day but there was quite a range of choices made, some chose just a starter, others chose three courses all from either the Specials list or from the menu listed on the website. The staff were extremely obliging and coped very well with the different selections made. On the day they were extremely pleasant and welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. Despite the variety of orders all arrived at the appropriate time and we had a happy and jolly meeting. The food was delicious and well presented. The only slight downside was that perhaps we were a little cramped with a party of our size although that didn't really trouble us and the staff coped admirably. Most who initially just wanted a starter did then add one of the delicious puddings and all the party complimented the staff on the service, food and value for money. We highly recommend this restaurant whether it be for a party booking, just a casual single diner, a couple or group of friends. Quite a find and must when you are in the Dawlish area.

Helgakbeer B, Owner at Jack Sprat's, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Thank you so much for your super review. I am so pleased your party enjoyed their lunch. We are very lucky to have such lovely staff - it is great to hear the service was friendly and efficient. I am also delighted that you enjoyed the food so much. With regard to your comment about space, it can be a bit tight to keep a big party all sitting on one table. When we have bigger parties we often have the party spreading out to use all the tables in the restaurant. We thought you would like to be on one table coming straight from your conference but I take on board your comments and I wish we did have a little bit more room. Maybe two spacious tables for a big party would work better that getting everyone on one table. I will give this some thought and I really appreciate your feedback on this matter. We very much hope we will see you again next time you are in the area. We very much appreciate your business.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Our first visit to Jack Sprat's on a recommendation. Ate lunch with coffees. My cheeseburger and chips were both excellent, as was the small side salad. Proper home made burgers and (seemed like) home made bap as well, although the price reflects that. All very tasty and easily too much for me. Well presented. My partner had simple cheese topped garlic bread. She was happy and stated it was "very nice". We did point out to the lady though that it is not a good idea to serve such an item on top of a paper napkin as, separating same from melted cheese attached to the bread is a messy business. She agreed with us so hopefully will learn from that.

My only other grouse is the length of time it took for the food to arrive, especially as I had parked on limited time roadside parking. Fortunately, despite being 20 minutes over, I had not got a ticket.

1  Thank Pete M
Helgakbeer B, Owner at Jack Sprat's, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Thanks for your great review. We have indeed taken on board your comment about the napkin and we no longer put one under the garlic bread. The issue about time is harder to resolve - we make thick home cooked burgers and they are cooked fresh to order. This means they will always take 20 minutes to cook. I know the chef put the burger on the moment I placed the order so unfortunately this is simply how long a thick burger takes to cook. I was very encouraged by your comment on the day that it was "the best burger" you had ever eaten so I am guessing it was worth the wait. i wish they would change the time on the parking machines so people are on less of a tight time schedule when they come in for lunch. Thanks again for your super review and we hope to see you again soon.