“First Rate”

Langstone Cliff Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dawlish
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I have just come back from a week at the Langstone, together with a large number of line dancers. Personally I think this should be a 4 star hotel, it is excellent. It takes a lot to impress me as I have had my own hospitality business in the past, but this hotel did. Accommodation, food, and especially the staff were excellent. I did not meet another line dancer at our event who was not singing the praises of this hotel. I am not racist, but it is so lovely to have English staff. All of them were happy, smiley folk who could not do enough for us. An absolute pleasure. A number of us have rebooked for next year, but as I am only one hour away, I am very tempted to take hubby there for a romantic break. 10 / 10. Thank you everyone.

Room Tip: If you need to use wi fi, choose a room overlooking the main garden/swimming pool area. I had diffi...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 7, 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a 4 day dancing holiday with friends. The hotel staff were incredibly helpful and friendly, the rooms clean and comfortable with huge fluffy towels changed every day. The food was excellent and plentiful, including the lunches we purchased during the day. The ballroom was a delight, as was the rest of the hotel and the setting. 10 out of 10 from us, we cannot wait to return next year

Room Tip: Best to avoid the rooms directly over the ballroom even though they have a restricted view of the se...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We have been trying out local, hotels, pubs and restaurants in the hope of finding a decent location to take my aged mother for Sunday lunch. First impressions were good. Excellent location, good entrance hall...... yeah, thats about it. The hotel has the skeleton of an upmarket, or at least middle market, establishment. It may have been once, in the 1980s. Decor is....1980s, the menu is ... 1980s, the service is.... Faulty Towers (when I came to pay the bill , I had to wait until the two women behind the desk finished their conversation). Crockery! Normally I don't notice, but we had send back a badly cracked piece and the rest was so old it could have been on Antiques Roadshow and not in a good way.

Food was tepid. Boiled potatoes leaked water when cut. The 'prawns' with Marie Rose Sauce (I did mention the 1980 s didn't I) were cheap frozen tiddlers served on some strands of lettuce marooned in the centre of a large plate. The beef was passable. Roast potatoes, tired, vegetables soft and unrewarding. The wine waiter treated me as if I were a moron (as I would be if I ever went back) and tried to flog me a bottle on the basis that It was only £3 more than the house wine.I didn't buy it but chose my own. He stood at one end of the table and leant across to pour three glasses. Hardly spilt any. There's good training for you.

I think you have the drift. There are other choices in the neighbourhood. Take them!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Maigemu
markatlangstone, Owner at Langstone Cliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Hello,
And thank you for your comments although we are very saddened to read its content.
Sadly, we had not been made aware of the shortcomings you mention until now.
We are sorry you had to wait to pay your account and that you dislike the décor which is constantly being updated, though it is basically traditional in style.
The restaurant menu changes daily and offers a choice of 4 starters, 6 main courses plus a cold buffet, 6 sweets, a cheese board and coffee and is very popular, we on average serve over 100 meals in the restaurant each Sunday. We also offer an extensive snack and light lunch menu which is served throughout the hotel.
Our crockery is not old we regularly replenish it. We have been using this particular pattern for about 8 years but spend on average around £8,000.00 per annum on replacements maintaining our stock of around 3500 pieces. However you should not have been served on a damaged plate and we apologise for this.
The prawns we use are top quality but being a natural product they can vary in size we would quite happily have replaced them as they were obviously not to your liking. We must apologise if the food was not up to temperature and again we would have replaced it without question had it been mentioned at the time.
If our wine waiter offended you we are sorry but he was only trying to be helpful.
Once again we can only apologise for any shortcomings there may have been at the time.
Regards
Mark Rogers
Partner

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We are regular returners to the hotel but this was our first time around Christmas. We had a fantastic, relaxing break enjoying the home from home atmosphere, wonderful food and a great range of entertainment. We are a family of four and squeeze into one of the smaller rooms but it is always worthwhile. This is a really friendly, family oriented hotel in a lovely setting. We will be back for more!

Room Tip: If you are a family of four with two young children go for the family suites which will give you goo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Hotel looked a bit tired from outside but was very nice inside. My room was very comfortable, lovely bed and great supply of hot water.
Food was good and staff very friendly and obliging.
My only complaint was that my room was above the bar area and the noise of loud chatter and shouting went on until almost three o'clock in the morning. I know people are there to enjoy themselves but surely bar staff could suggest that they show consideration to other hotel users.
I would consider using this hotel again but would certainly request a room in a quieter part of hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms above bar
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 23, 2014

This is about the 4th time we have stayed here and once again it was perfect. Food was good and the room was excellent especially with the boys having their own room within our suite great idea, I know it's nothing new but it's available. New member of the bar staff had a bit of a mare pouring tonic into my single malt but hey he was new and we all have learn somehow. Would recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 21, 2014

A lovely family run hotel that my family and I have visited frequently over the past years. It was my childhood summer holiday, and we still go now and the staff are still there and are really nice and welcoming. The cabaret weekends are great! There is also loads to do at the hotel, and also at the Warren which is 5 mins walk away. Dawlish is a lovely place, and the hotel to stay at when visiting is the Langstone Cliff

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dawlish
Devoncourt Resort & Apartments
#1 of 11 in Exmouth
The Orestone Manor
The Orestone Manor
#9 of 85 in Torquay

Been to Langstone Cliff Hotel? Share your experiences!