“A Real Family Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dawlish
Poole, United Kingdom
“A Real Family Hotel”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We went to The Langstone Cliff hotel for a weekend of Folk Dance. I was very pleasantly surprised by the place. The staff were all very helpful and it really seemed that nothing was too much trouble. We didn't have children with us but as a grandparent I noted that it would have been excellent for them with many special facilities. The indoor swimming pool was good with special easy access steps and a children's pool. As it was October I didn't check the outdoor pool.
Food was lovely, lots of choice and all well cooked and presented. We prefer blankets to duvets and that option was offered. Free WiFi was offered but didn't work in our room, certainly it was excellent in the many lounge areas or on the veranda.
As I twisted my knee and couldn't dance I enjoyed sitting out on the sunny veranda with the fabulous view. I also tried the Spa. I had the most delicious Indian Head massage and facial for a very reasonable price.
For the dancers the ballroom was excellent and had it's own lounge attached for our use. The lift was a godsend for me and I was even able to borrow a wheelchair to explore the area.
I wish it was nearer to my family so that we could all go there regularly!

Room Tip: Ours did not overlook the sea but was nicer than some that did!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SmileyDawn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Dawlish
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Living locally my partner and I decided on Sunday lunch here a couple of weeks ago. I felt I needed to comment as I am proud to have such a lovely hotel nearby. The hotel and restaurant was very busy but the staff were absolutely wonderful, very helpful and nothing too much trouble. The food was excellent and good value for money. The whole hotel itself is of a very high standard, it has been family run by the same family for many years and it shows. I think that anyone wanting a great holiday in a lovely hotel a stones throw from the sea, yet tucked away in a peaceful location could do no better than stay here.

1 Thank Linda H
Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Brilliant family hotel with all the creature comforts and the friendliest staff we have met as a family for years. Took my 87-year-old auntie for her first holiday since a our uncle passed away, her first real break in nearly ten years.
Nothing was too much trouble for this hotel. Meals excellent. The only thing they could not control was the weather!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Colin G
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I would describe this hotel as classy but relaxed - a wonderful combination! The owners, who are frequently to be seen amongst the guests, give the establishment a personal feel with many homely touches. The public rooms are attractively decorated, comfortable and quiet; what little piped music played is localized and quiet. If you have books to read or friends to meet then this hotel is ideal: there is a full and reasonably priced food and drinks menu available right through the day and evening and the staff are always welcoming and friendly. That said there are also beautiful gardens, beaches and good walking to be had. I can’t speak for all the bedrooms but ours was well furnished with exceptionally good mattresses. Any negative points? With a jewel like this I would make sure the brass plates and handles on the front doors are kept shining – always!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter H
Swindon
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This year...2013 is our 9th year staying at this fantastic hotel...we go for our annual dance weekend breaks in the spacious Washington Ballroom...with it's large dance floor...fantastic lighting displays and sound systems. If you are thinking of booking a venue for a dancing week/weekend in Devon...then you need to look no further. The staff are always courteous, and friendly I cannot fault the hotel in anyway shape or form... the rooms are clean and spacious, the food excellent..and the hotel facilities are second to none. The service is 100%...highly recommended! This year we had room #56... enormous room with both bath & shower..plus a 40" TV and a sofa to sit on to watch it! Absolute luxury! I do love this hotel...can't you guess?

1 Thank glenandgordon
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2013

A friendly, family run hotel in a lovely part of Devon. It is spacious, comfortable and clean. The food is excellent and efficiently served. The staff were courteous and helpful - nothing was too much trouble. We found it a great place to relax and unwind. I am sure I will return for another stay before long.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank David M
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed three nights inc dinner each night.
We had no problems and will return again.
the hotel was clean, bright and warm. The room we had was the same. Changed each day, modern, bright and up to date.
Food was of a good standard though perhaps the breakfasts could do with a shake up.
Staff were friendly and helpful. An old fashioned hotel which has been modernised sympathetically.

Room Tip: any i saw were good
2 Thank Ciaran O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dawlish
Cliffden Hotel
Victoria Hotel
Victoria Hotel
#3 of 13 in Sidmouth
Dart Marina Hotel and Spa

Been to Langstone Cliff Hotel? Share your experiences!