“Excellent choice for evening meal” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Castle Inn Restaurant & Pub Holcombe
Ranked #27 of 51 Restaurants in Dawlish
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
North West
“Excellent choice for evening meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Returned in the last hour after eating a (pre-booked) meal at the Castle Inn. We both had steaks but two different types. Both were excellently cooked, The accompanying Stilton Sauce I had perhaps could have been a bit stronger but was very tasty nonetheless.

Only real criticism is the lack of choice of potato side dish. Only "new" and "chips" offered. I would have like to have seen a "baked potato" option. Having said that, and I am not a great lover of chips, if I have to have them - i don't think I could have had them at a better place. Excellent home-made chips.

I am a northerner so to me at £3.40 a pint for Foster's Lager - probably a bit over-priced but as I was only going to have one (driving!!!) - no big deal for me.

Lastly - service - absolutely no complaints here. Very friendly from arrival to departure..

Please don't forget this review is based on one visit - however - I would definitely return if we ever holiday in this area again.

• Visited July 2013

dawlish
“No food at 1350!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

poor food and badly managed pub. arrived for some lunch at 1350 only to be told that they had stopped serving food!!!! No reason given. Very shoddy customer service!

• Visited June 2013
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Ideal pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Sorry this review is so late but I would like to say we visited this pub last year and found it absoloutley ideal! We were trying to find a nice local pub that served sunday roasts and other food aswell. The food was plentiful and there was a good choice, there was something for everyone. On the day we visited they were having trouble with the electrics, they kept having power cuts and the restaurant was very busy, but they kept their calm and we still managed to have a very good meal. The pub itself is very roomy and easy to acsess in Dawlish Warren, the beach is just a short walk away. We are returning to Dawlish Warren in a couple of weeks time and will deffinately be going here again.

• Visited June 2012
Newton abbot
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“will not repeat the experience!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

Nice sunny pub. Friendly welcome and service was faultless. But food was well below expectations. I ordered ham,eggs and chips.Usually this is a fail-safe meal when in a different venue. The eggs were over-cooked, the ham a disgusting mess of huge lumps of quivering fatty meat. What ever happened to the kitchen meat slicer?, it could have been produced so very much more appetising. The chips passed muster, but suffered the usual pub. philosophy of making sure that every part of a fairly large plate, was fully covered. The last time I will ever eat there again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Hungry T
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Best food and pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

I have eaten many a time over the years at the Castle and have never been disappointed. The food is locally sourced and beautifully presented. Dirk changes the specials regularly and comes up with exciting menus. Also I would recommend the Sunday lunches with the beef especially cooked to perfection. In the summer it it lovely to sit in the shady courtyard. Remember though to book as it is a popular venue

• Visited October 2012